Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm one of those not playing this league. No reason to, really.
    I normally skip a couple of leagues as well and then binge-play a league, after which I skip a couple again ^^.
    I'm pretty bad at 'grinding' in games, but always really enjoy the new content.

Question: if i decide to jump into this game right now, what have i need to skip/what i need to pay attention to?

I played when it was first released, but then moved onto other games - i liked the entire system but i was upset about sync issues and the such. Any pointers for a fresh start right now?

A couple of things about my playstyle:
    - don't care about races/competitions
    - i like exploring everything, will it be maps or builds
    - absolutely hate HC style gameplay
    - time is not an issue, as i will just ontinue at my pace
    - kinda of a powerplayer, but actually prefer coming out with a build that i like even if it's not the bestest, i just want it to be viable for farming
    - i love farming.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Question: if i decide to jump into this game right now, what have i need to skip/what i need to pay attention to?

I played when it was first released, but then moved onto other games - i liked the entire system but i was upset about sync issues and the such. Any pointers for a fresh start right now?

A couple of things about my playstyle:
    - don't care about races/competitions
    - i like exploring everything, will it be maps or builds
    - absolutely hate HC style gameplay
    - time is not an issue, as i will just ontinue at my pace
    - kinda of a powerplayer, but actually prefer coming out with a build that i like even if it's not the bestest, i just want it to be viable for farming
    - i love farming.
    For those things I normally browse the official forums, check the builds section, check the threads with the most replies and see what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    For those things I normally browse the official forums, check the builds section, check the threads with the most replies and see what I like
    Well, i'm doing that It's just that many people are old players and some stuff is not explained or better, given as known already ^^ that's why i've asked here - less people but all dedicated ones.

So i'm rephrasing it a little: i'm dabbling with the passive skill tree to try defining a "build". The Shadow/dual claw weapon concept attracts me quite a bunch, especially if i can couple it with some totem skills to cast other stuff while i maul people. Is this a good starting approach? Just to avoid running a char for hours just to discover i'll be just destroyed at endgame.

Well, downloading the game tonight and then starting it in any case.

EDIT: ideally this would be a starter LINKY i suppose i've dabbled in mostly offensive passives, dunno if i need to balance it out now or not. Also most is physical damage, are there immunities? Because i would be crippled a lot.

EDIT2: lol i'm already addicted to the tree. i could go for a chaos inoculation build since i have really high life leech, istant leech and leech on shield. I love the synergies one can build.
    Also i need a clarification: what exactly does mean "x% increased crit chance"? I read it as if i have 2% chc and 100% increased i have a total of 4% chc. It would mean a lot for subsequent skills/passives points choices.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-06-09 at 09:09 AM.

Deleted
    Copied from the wiki so credit to whoever wrote it:

Critical strike chance
    "Critical Strike Chance" redirects here. For the passive skill, see Critical Strike Chance (passive skill).
    The chance to deal a critical strike is taken from the weapon used to perform an attack or attack skill. This chance is based on the weapon's base critical strike plus any local critical strike mods on the weapon. In the case of spells, each spell has its own critical strike chance, which is listed in the skill gem's description. This value can be increased by various modifiers according to

CriticalStrikeChance = (BaseCriticalStrikeChance + AdditionalCriticalStrikeChance) * (1 + IncreasedCriticalStrikeChance)
    where BaseCriticalStrikeChance is the base critical strike chance of the skill or weapon, AdditionalCriticalStrikeChance is the sum of all relevant +#% to Critical Strike Chance and IncreasedCriticalStrikeChance is the sum of all relevant #% increased Critical Strike Chance.

For example, if the player is using a weapon with 5% chance to crit, and has +1% to Critical Strike Chance and 50% increased Critical Strike Chance, he will have a 9% chance to score a critical strike.

These types of modifiers can be found on various items, skill gems, the passive skill tree or power charges.
    Especially the second half with the example explains it quite clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Especially the second half with the example explains it quite clearly.
    Thanks. Slightly different but the idea is there - i missed eventualy straight +X%chc affixes. I'm dabbling through the wiki to look about chaos damage because i could possibly swap to it in middle/late game, but i want to be sute it's worth it.

Sorry for the noob questions, but one of the few things i knew already about PoE is that planning in advance is highly recommended

Deleted
    Died my SRS character at 30-something due to falling asleep.

Dunno if I want to play more, if I do, probably Slayer again since it was really good.

I died due to traps. I got home late, was tired, made a mistake on traps and kept repeating the same mistake even though I full well knew I was doing it. Gdmn I'm retarded.

Too little time to keep fucking up on HC though :P

Ok, i'm reading about leagues right now. If i got it right, there are 2 persistent legaues which are basically non season standard and hardcore and you can play in them ad infinitum. Every some times they open up child leagues which are basically seasons - when they end all gets merged with normal seasons?

As a new player, where should i start? I remeber many comments about how economy is basically gone to bogus place because prices are all around and either you play 24/7 or die; alternative is to play self-found (which is not a problem for me) but it becomes pretty much near impossible to get the stuff you want/need.

Also i've readf about new economy-locked leagues? Would like some more clarity

I would start in the temporary league (Prophecy atm) as it merges with the permanent league down the line, it also has a twist on the normal game.

Economy locked leagues would be races I guess and that's anywhere from 12minutes to 2 weeks duration leagues where you compete in most XP gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I would start in the temporary league (Prophecy atm) as it merges with the permanent league down the line, it also has a twist on the normal game.

Economy locked leagues would be races I guess and that's anywhere from 12minutes to 2 weeks duration leagues where you compete in most XP gained.
    Thanks. Wasn't you having an item in game named after yourself? XD I may start on season now as all progress is kept, but i think that new leagues won't be touched as i have not much time and bringing one chracter to the end i assume would take a decent amount of time especially at start.

If you could take a look at the build i linked some posts above would be awesome - just to know if i have screwed something really basic to avoid playing a severely broken character. How's the economy in permanent leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Well, i'm doing that It's just that many people are old players and some stuff is not explained or better, given as known already ^^ that's why i've asked here - less people but all dedicated ones.

So i'm rephrasing it a little: i'm dabbling with the passive skill tree to try defining a "build". The Shadow/dual claw weapon concept attracts me quite a bunch, especially if i can couple it with some totem skills to cast other stuff while i maul people. Is this a good starting approach? Just to avoid running a char for hours just to discover i'll be just destroyed at endgame.

Well, downloading the game tonight and then starting it in any case.

EDIT: ideally this would be a starter LINKY i suppose i've dabbled in mostly offensive passives, dunno if i need to balance it out now or not. Also most is physical damage, are there immunities? Because i would be crippled a lot.
    There are no immunities (except for curse immune), just resistances, and those can be lowered through support gems.

For the build you are looking at, I would definitely get some more Life nodes. As a dual claw, the life leech is really nice, but you also need to be able to take big hits. Blood Siphon, Blood Drinker and Thick Skin would all be near your current path. Additionally, you'll want to a secondary form of defense, be it block, evasion, armor or energy shield (probably not armor for this character, but that's personal preference). You've already got some block nodes, so if you wanted to continue in that direction, there is an add'l 6% in the Gemini cluster, and if you continue towards the Duelist section you can get Dervish and Blade Barrier, for an add'l 9%.

I would probably shy away from Chaos Innoculation until you have a bit more experience with the game, but if you do go that route, then instead of the life nodes you'll want to pick up as many energy shield nodes as you can, as well as the Arcane Vision notable.

As for coupling this with totems, that's where it gets a little tricky, since you would need to invest points into that playstyle as well. If you want damaging spells, you'll want spell damage nodes. You do have access to a whole bunch of Elemental Damage nodes in the Shadow's starting area, so that could work out fairly well. If you do go that route, Mind Drinker could be useful as well as some of the other Mana notables nearby.

To note, by default you can only have one totem out at a time. There are unique items and a Keystone node (on the opposite side of the tree) that can increase this number, each with their own drawbacks (eg: the Keystone prevents you from dealing damage directly).

I will say that I find hybrids to be a little more fun, though a bit more challenging (I had a summoner/archer in the last league that took some time to get going, but was quite fun). In any case, as a new player you'll make mistakes and learn from those mistakes, ask questions, look for answers, and just have fun playing the game. It may take a few characters to really get the hang of things, but that's honestly very normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    -snip-
    Definitely good input, thanks - i realized after a while that i either need to have a bigger hp pool ot go for energy shield nodes; dabbling a little more around the tree i found the pretty reachable and the Ascendant class Trickster (fixed) has also nice synergy with energy shield. For a more streamlined playstyle i can avoid chaos inoculation for now while building up a worthy shield (i assume).

About totems: i'll see while playing. I've checked the skill gems and since i can make at least a couple of them to proc on crit (which i'm boosting quite a lot) maybe totems are not needed. As you said they require some investment in terms of points, hence maybe it's better for me to stick to a simpler build before experimenting wilder ways doing damage.

And thanks everyone, i feel i'm derailing the thread over my personal needs
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-06-09 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I died due to traps. I got home late, was tired, made a mistake on traps and kept repeating the same mistake even though I full well knew I was doing it. Gdmn I'm retarded.

Too little time to keep fucking up on HC though :P
    Don't worry, couldn't have been worse than me dying last night to one of the floating spinner traps. The last leg of the last map trial I needed and got in a rush because I figured I couldn't possibly die (wicked ward is pretty amazing), ran inside the trap and kept running with it because brain didn't register that I was dying until it was too late, would've lived if I had just stopped moving or turned around or did anything other than what I did. Pretty funny that I finally 6 linked my first item ever and then died with it the exact same day.

Numbers clearly show this league brings less players than Perendus one. I think the reasons are pretty obvious. I looked on the steamcharts http://steamcharts.com/app/238960#6m and:
    Perendus had +37k steam players at it's peak, and numbers were more stable.
    Perandus also introduced ascendancies

I ripped last night on my Discharge Witch on Merc Dom. Not even sure how it happened- I was cruising up till then no problem. Somewhat surprising and disappointing. I honestly am not sure how I took so much damage so quickly.

Might go for a Lightning Arrow build or maybe Sunder next. Although I kinda been in a mood for a classic ST Ranger of late. We'll see.

Loving this league. I'm just too busy with RL to play as much as I'd like.

Yeah, this is the first league in a long time that has really made me want to take like a month off work to go full nerd on it. I've been staying up until like 4am every day to have more time for it, which might have contributed to my poor decision making.

Sooo...

i followed the advice and started last night in the prophecy league. Must say that the first silver con drop made me startle XD but it's really fun to get back and have this random things that can happen around the word.

Played like 1 hour so i'm just running around. Is it me or the personal inventory is really small and i have to go back and forth to town for selling stuff? Can i simply ignore most of the drops? Also i remeber a way to filter the droppeditem labels....

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    You can ignore most of the loot, using a loot filter helps a lot, see Neversink's for one of the best.
    Thanks. Will set it up tonight.

Also fun how when i reinstalled there was still my first level 33 character and i had already around 20 hours played

I can never get them to work, lootfilters. No idea why not, doing as instructed, but it just doesn't work for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I can never get them to work, lootfilters. No idea why not, doing as instructed, but it just doesn't work for me.
    strange. should just be to place the .filter file in ~document/my games/path of exile, start the game, go to UI options and scroll to the bottom to find "list of item filters" then change to whatever lootfilter you want.