Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Holy shit the community is cancer.

I am in shock atm.

I played in the beta for half of its duration, and had a blast.
    "Everyone" communicated and worked together.

But it seems after they opened the floodgates, the community turned insanely toxic.
    I just took a look on official forums for shits and giggles, and just wow.

Is the toxicity of LoL transfering over to OW, since it became the most popular current game?

Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post

Is the toxicity of LoL transfering over to OW, since it became the most popular current game?
    Not sure how it's in-game atm as I haven't been playing much, but the forums were pretty much already like that during the beta (at least during open beta for sure) =P

But forums aren't really the best way to find the nice part of any community nowadays, really. I mean just look at MMO-C =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Not sure how it's in-game atm as I haven't been playing much, but the forums were pretty much already like that during the beta (at least during open beta for sure) =P

But forums aren't really the best way to find the nice part of any community nowadays, really. I mean just look at MMO-C =P
    Well, i agree to some point.
    But on MMO-C, for the most part you are able to have a coherent conversation, because its governed by mods.

Blizz forums, not so much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    People are rude on the internet. More at 11, Jim.
    Not necessarily

I feel fortunate enough to not have had as bad an experience to say the community is cancer. Sure I wish it was better, but I've played in worse communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    I've not personally looked at the forums but I was in a group on competitive play last night and we had a lvl 26 guy change his character on every death as if he was practising the characters, I only mentioned to him he was reseting his ult every time he changed and he gave me some serious abuse so I blocked him, of course we lost the game.
    But here I thought it was one of the core tactics of Overwatch that you were supposed to change characters. I thought that was part of the strategy, part of the design.

And here's somebody doing exactly that, and it's still wrong.

Yep, great community, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily
    You haven't been on the internet long, have you?
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcitablePancake View Post
    I feel fortunate enough to not have had as bad an experience to say the community is cancer. Sure I wish it was better, but I've played in worse communities.
    Oh, yea totally but one can be worried that things escalate :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a match where we lost close at the end. Our opponents spammed the chat with things like "rekt", "pwnd" etc.

I replied with one single "nice cheese" and suddenly opened a shitstorm can. I rarely got flamed like this ever in a game before.

"Kiddo, fck ur mom"
    "Please die"
    "Eat ur shit"
    "Delete the game"
    "Go fck our sis"

I was stunned how someone call me a kid when acting like a 12 year old hyperactive ritalin doped stepchild from the wrong neighbourhood.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

every community is cancer**
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

I am in shock atm.

I played in the beta for half of its duration, and had a blast.
    "Everyone" communicated and worked together.

But it seems after they opened the floodgates, the community turned insanely toxic.

I want to believe a lot of it has to do with Comp and people know they can ruin other people's experience and hard work with how bad Blizzard has it set up. So some people intentionally queue to mess things up.

There's probably more to it, but I feel like this is one of the bigger reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Hey now whats wrong with us MMO-C'ers

I try to be nice
    It's not you, it's them!

Well, i agree to some point.
    But on MMO-C, for the most part you are able to have a coherent conversation, because its governed by mods.

Blizz forums, not so much.
    Well this forum is a lot more generalistic, though. Although the main focus might be WoW, it's still pretty much used to talk about all Blizzard games and even other games. It also has real life / off-topic stuff, and actually has a small-ish community of regular users who end up getting to know each other (or at least a few names/avatars).

Overwatch forums are basicly just discussion about the game which ends up being mostly "genji is op, nerf! no, genji is weak, buff! noobs you just cant play, git gud!", which is not that different from the discussion you'll see here or in mostly any place about specific issues/opinions on a game design choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily
    Really? Where have you been the last decade or so? This is exactly why games like Magic Duels refuse to add chat functionality to their game. Because they know what the end result would become. Online games have been like that since, like, 1998.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I suggest growing a thick skin and getting over it, you are never going to get rid of misbehaving people on the internet and frankly nothing they say really matters as you will just forget about them 5 minutes later. If they are extremely bad just report them. When you give them time of day and show that they have affected you then you are putting blood in the water for sharks and you embolden them.

Ultimately they don't matter unless you let them get to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have barely heard any raging or insulting from anyone tbh, its really not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    every community is cancer**
    Sadly this; Particularly for competitive games. Just do your best to not let those people get to you, and to not stoop to their level.

Also high five Ven.

Deleted
    This is common in every multiplayer game, isnt it?

Especially if it's team based.

I've seen remarkably little.

I recommend using a mic. I dunno if it's different on non-Oceanic servers but in my experience people on voice comms are much more civil. Easier to be a dick when you don't have to hear a human voice on the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played for nearly 100 hours now and it's super rare to hear cancerous comments whether it be over voice or in chat. While I play a lot with 6 people, at least half of my play time is in groups of 2-4 normally. Played about 15 hours of competitive and only had one instance of people being cancerous, and that was a Reinhardt who rage quit.

Most of the time people barely say anything at all and communicate through the chat wheel. It's still rare but I see just as many people complimenting the other team for good plays or a particularly good player as I see toxic behavior from either the other team or within your own team. I wouldn't call it cancer but the most common thing that's complained about that I've witnessed is people getting frustrated with bad Mei walls or people auto locking their favorite heroes when they absolutely make no sense for the situation. Even then, it's rare that it goes any further than frustration.

Game is still new and I fully expect it to get worse, but honestly it's no where near the amount of cancer that I've experienced playing something like DoTa, LoL or many other competitive games. I just don't think a game like this, at least how it's designed has the capacity to become as cancerous as a typical MoBA. Has a lot to do with the length of the game. You get rage in HoTS as well but the games are so short that you just move on. Being invested in a 45 minute to an hour DoTa game for example is just a recipe for rage to boil over.

I think my negative experience numbers between 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 matches.

I'm the type of person that suggests hero swaps to counter( Often case doing it my self, but if my niche is currently dealing well with a threat, others could adjust)
    I point out bastion locations, widowmakers. I am glued to the payload, or wait for the team to capture a point.

Perhaps it's because I play tanks and supports that it's usually a pleasant experience for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play it on Xbox because my friend got it on Xbox ._.

But anyway yet to have one flamer. Probably because hardly anyone actually talks on their mics these days.