Quote Originally Posted by rcshaggy View Post
    I really don't care about flying that much, but I do like using it sometimes to collect certain things, getting to places easier than on land with your epic mount and such.

Still depends on what Legion Flying is going to be and how you will get it.
    Shhhh reason and logic will get you labeled faster than anything in this thread. Why? Because people that use it don't sway into an absolutist camp that supports a few fanatical individuals views in here that undoubtedly represent a literal 100 trillion people across the galaxy. Because a good measure of all, everyone, and 100 trillion people across the galaxy is 10 or so threads on the official forums filled with about 30-40% of the same people posting the same thing over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post

History would tend to refute your opinion. We went from "no flight ever again" to having flight finally added to WoD. Now we're getting flight "midway through Legion" instead of at the very end of the expansion like WoD. If anything we're slowly winning a war of attrition. Depending on how things go in the first 6 months of Legion, we might see flight sooner rather than later. And the next expansion after Legion(if there is one) might have a better combined ground and air game for everyone.
    We went into WoD with the fact that Flight will be added in 6.1 in mind. This was heavily hinted by Blizzard, they said they had a great questline to unlock flight in mind, and it would come around the time of the first content patch. Yet, flight came very late into the expansion - and even that was due to huge backlash. Blizzard clearly didn't want flying in the game, be it a design choice or laziness, and tried not to inform players about it.

Now in Legion we are going in with the fact that Flight will be added in 7.1 in mind. And it's kind of obvious that Blizzard doesn't really want it in the game.

I don't see how anything has changed. If Blizzard wants to trick players again, and say that "no flying has worked out so well in Legion that Pathfinder will grant you a supercool ground mount instead" - they can do that, and I wouldn't be suprised. With no obvious reward at the end, right now the achievement is valueless - after all, you could be working towards Pathfinder in WoD from the start as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Yeah, no. We all know Blizzard by now. It's like them saying they'll make the content gap between expansions shorter.

I'm willing to bet they won't add it until the last content patch of Legion again. Saying it'll be added in a content patch midway is just like a carrot on a stick to keep the people from rioting.
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying, people shouldn't trust Blizzard on this one. If they really don't want to add flying back to the game they might just delay it into infinity. It's their game, and changing a developers mindset by a player, well, it's a hard thing to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    That's funny, because the no-flight club has been doing the exact same thing since flight was added. But it's OK as long as they promote your side of the argument, right?
    It was OK because no-flyers always had content without flight, not only all dungeons, raids and BGs / arena, but also zones where flight was never there and will never be implemented (Isle of Quel'Danals, Wintergrasp at start / when contested, Tol Barad, Molten Front, Isle of Thunder / of Giants / Timeless Isle). There was at least one zone without flight in every expansion, even if it was not there for the whole duration, and most of the time, it has been high end zones, which provided best rewards available in the open world at the time of their introduction.

No pro-flyer had ever demanded to change that, though we have been forced to go on the ground in such areas and possibly also complained a bit (in my case, I only hated TI because there was only 1 way to get to the upper area, not multiple paths).

Edit: Buying flying skills with gold does more for player equality than doing excessive achievements. Yes, in BC the sum for epic flying was an achievement, because there have been players who claimed to not be able to afford basic flying (I wonder how these people manage their real life budgets if they are not able to do something like that in a game where you don't have to play for so many things). But now, 5K gold is nothing difficult anymore, or 10K for 280% and 310% flying. This is not a big deal.

Now, with the achievement, we will have a massive difference between players as soon as flying will be unlocked. Hell, some people don't have Draenor flying even now. 3 of my guild mates have finished the achievements last month - one was coming back from a longer pause (played last in Wrath), the others took a long break in WoD. The amount of work they had to do was insane, all for a purely convenience feature which I had from the first day it was possible to have after completing the reputation grind. While in the case of buying flying, they could have just dish out the money, or borrow the amount from the guild.

Sarkasm mode on: Yeah, buying the Vial of Sands has paid out multiple times where I could take guildies around in Tanaan when we were going there to quest as a (me with my latest alt, and my guild buddies who only arrived there with their mains). One of the best things I have bought in WoW besides trader mammoth and transmogrification yak.

We don't speak here about prestigious titles and best gear in the game. It's still a convenience feature, and the handling of this topic is totally insane.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-08-08 at 10:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Now, with the achievement, we will have a massive difference between players as soon as flying will be unlocked. Hell, some people don't have Draenor flying even now. 3 of my guild mates have finished the achievements last month - one was coming back from a longer pause (played last in Wrath), the others took a long break in WoD. The amount of work they had to do was insane, all for a purely convenience feature which I had from the first day it was possible to have after completing the reputation grind. While in the case of buying flying, they could have just dish out the money, or borrow the amount from the guild.
    I dont know how can you argue against that achievment for flying?
    You just have to do the some of the content you would skip with flying and small rep farm which is buyable with gold..
    Max 2 days if you decide to buy reputations.

Deleted
    Yeah, no. We all know Blizzard by now. It's like them saying they'll make the content gap between expansions shorter.

I'm willing to bet they won't add it until the last content patch of Legion again. Saying it'll be added in a content patch midway is just like a carrot on a stick to keep the people from rioting.
    It's a carrot on a stick, but Blizz isn't using the carrot. It's using the stick to beat the shit out of its fans.

Deleted
    Well, tbh, I really don't care. I'm absolutely fine with flying not being enabled ever again. It's their game and they can do with it what they want, flying or not flying isn't an important part enough of the game for me to have a strong opinion about. (And as such I really don't understand the people that make a big deal out of not being able to fly).
    Ultimately it boils down to this: Because it's FUN. And we would like to keep things that are FUN in our favorite game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    The hostility comes from the lack of transparency. Flight has been a part of the game for the bulk of its existence. To arbitrarily have it removed (as they attempted) or to suddenly have it gated in a fashion it has never been gated before is a shock to many players. The fact that completing the achievement in legion doesn't actually grant you flight is part of the problem. Being strung along for an entire expansion (as in WoD's case) with responses like "patch 6.1", "epic questline to unlock", "we're liking no flight so we're not enabling it this patch maybe next one", "we decided no more flight in content going forward", "uh we hear your negative responses to no flight - we're adding it in with a achievement needed to unlock", "weeks not months" - months later we finally got flight.

The hostility comes from Blizzard not buckling down and giving a definitive "this is when flight will be enabled" timeline. Sure PART ONE of the achievement is there at launch... but completing it does not get you flight. Presumably there's going to be a PART TWO (and who knows if they will drag it on further). And even after doing that achievement you STILL won't have flight. Not till Blizzard decides to enable it and they refuse to say when that will be. THAT is the problem. Getting flight at "some unspecified point in the future" is the issue. Blizzard could shut up a good portion of the pro-flyers if they just commit to a patch number for flight enabling.

The achievement isn't the problem. Jumping through the hoops isn't the problem. The problem is doing all that gets you exactly NOTHING (insofar as flight is concerned) until Blizzard finally says "ok here's flight" and there's no definitive timeline as to when that will happen. THAT is the problem.
    The smart thing to do is to sit it out.

They have revealed that Legion will have a similar length to WoD in terms of expansion timeline. So, that timeline indicates that 21 months of Legion means you are looking at flying being back into the game at the 13 month mark give or take since that is "mid expansion".

You have to be a complete fool to sit around and wait for Blizzard to flip the switch by 'mid expansion".

Well, tbh, I really don't care. I'm absolutely fine with flying not being enabled ever again. It's their game and they can do with it what they want, flying or not flying isn't an important part enough of the game for me to have a strong opinion about. (And as such I really don't understand the people that make a big deal out of not being able to fly).
    Are you a slave or something? just letting everyone push you around? No its not their game, its our game, we pay for it and we play it, if that weren't the case the game wouldn't be at all.

Of all the shit people complain about I will never understand this.

WoW right now has dumbed down talents, specs, abilities, bad PvP, trash content, trash leveling, no MMO feel to it, easy raiding and seemingly endless content droughts and yet this is what people complain about? Flying mounts were definitively the worst thing added to the game pre-wotlk. It completely killed any sort of world PvP that this game had.

People are going to realize how awful it is to run to all these world quests and start crying for flight back 2 weeks into legion.......mark my words

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Of all the shit people complain about I will never understand this.

WoW right now has dumbed down talents, specs, abilities, bad PvP, trash content, trash leveling, no MMO feel to it, easy raiding and seemingly endless content droughts and yet this is what people complain about? Flying mounts were definitively the worst thing added to the game pre-wotlk. It completely killed any sort of world PvP that this game had.
    World PVP was dead and the coffin nailed shut the day instanced PVP became incentivized. Flying added to the game was no more than dirt on top of the coffin.

10+ Year Old Account
    It completely killed any sort of world PvP that this game had.
    ...... not another one of these. . . . If you played WoW in V, you would know for a fact that flying had nothing to do with the death of world pvp. But maybe if you guys who started in Wrath, say it enough, it may be true one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    ...... not another one of these. . . . If you played WoW in V, you would know for a fact that flying had nothing to do with the death of world pvp. But maybe if you guys who started in Wrath, say it enough, it may be true one day.
    I started playing WoW in 2006. World PvP is dead the moment people can fly from point A to point B without having to interact with other players on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    World PVP was dead and the coffin nailed shut the day instanced PVP became incentivized. Flying added to the game was no more than dirt on top of the coffin.
    That's funny because it was around before I started playing and yet world PvP was alive and well when I started playing WoW and I distinctly remember it dying when BC came out.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    GW2 has no mob tagging. As long as you participate and do enough damage to the creature, you get credit. Gathering is non-competitive, as each person gets their own version of the gathering node. On the surface it might look like the gameplay is only 3-4 buttons, but there is a LOT of depth in the equipment and mastery system, as well as synergy between a team. The game also rewards personal skillful play MUCH more than WoW(where everything is iLVL).

PVP is 100% optional. Arena/BGs are a completely separate system from the PVE, and everything is equal. You don't use your PVE gear or stats at all, so it's completely based on how good you are. The open world PVP does use your gear, but it's server vs server. There are no factions, so it mostly just depends on your server's population.

Also, the base game is F2P, while the current content is a one-time purchase. There's really no reason to not try it out.

But has a TON of jumping puzzles and exploration is very much forced as a lot of your xp comes from that.

That's funny because it was around before I started playing and yet world PvP was alive and well when I started playing WoW and I distinctly remember it dying when BC came out.
    When BC came out and introduced arenas with the best pvp gear being from arena to further reinforce the point that instanced pvp and it's incentives nailed the coffin shut.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    People are going to realize how awful it is to run to all these world quests and start crying for flight back 2 weeks into legion.......mark my words
    Combined with pathfinder requirements it is going to be the perfect storm of anger directed at Blizz. And rightfully so, because Blizzard once again is dragging their feet on transparency once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    When BC came out and introduced arenas with the best pvp gear being from arena to further reinforce the point that instanced pvp and it's incentives nailed the coffin shut.
    Thats exactly right. Instanced PVP with some of the best rewards is what hurt WPVP. Blizzard designed WPVP right the hell out of the game by putting it into instances and having awesome rewards.

Flying didn't kill it. Blizzard killed it off on purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexxidecimal View Post
    But has a TON of jumping puzzles and exploration is very much forced as a lot of your xp comes from that.
    Also has a proper engine for all those jumping puzzles and explorations. Not a 12 year old WoW engine.

How many times should I say, that you should stop WPVP discussion, cuz pure/true WPVP simply isn't possible, cuz game developers simply can't allow unavoidable griefing in their games, cuz for majority of players - griefing is unbearable? That's why WPVP is optional - there are PVE servers, there are BGs, there are Arenas and there are no mandatory rewards for WPVP. And popularity of WPVP simply shows, how many players really need it. And what all pro-WPVPers want? They want other players to be forced into WPVP. This simply wouldn't work. For example, if there wouldn't be PVE servers - I wouldn't play Wow.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.