Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Got my BLM from 28 to 32 while doing FATEs in Western La Noscea.

Next stop is either Central Shroud for DRG and NIN, or Upper La Noscea for MCH and SMN. After those two, it's just mindless running in Outer La Noscea for MNK, AST, and BLM.
    Yokai FATEs + POTD + sightseeing log (which I unlocked last week by sheer accident) were the push needed to get WHM and AST to 60. Only BRD (53), NIN, MNK, and MCH (all 36) left to go. o.o

10+ Year Old Account
    On an unrelated, completely off topic note:

Just finished watching Sword Art Online (both seasons). Feel completely emotionally drained. Never thought I'd cry this much watching an anime.

I do have to say though: I wish our MMOs were more like that. Our games are always so balanced and restricted compared to that world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    On an unrelated, completely off topic note:

Just finished watching Sword Art Online (both seasons). Feel completely emotionally drained. Never thought I'd cry this much watching an anime.

I do have to say though: I wish our MMOs were more like that. Our games are always so balanced and restricted compared to that world.
    I m sorry WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    I m sorry WHAT?
    Is your reaction in shock at the fact it was Sword Art Online, or that it was an anime? Because regardless of the medium, be it written word, film, television, live-action or animation, a story that provokes an emotional reaction is just that. People have all manner of different triggers. Consider the story of Proust's Madeleines, where a single sensory experience triggers a rush of memory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Is your reaction in shock at the fact it was Sword Art Online, or that it was an anime? Because regardless of the medium, be it written word, film, television, live-action or animation, a story that provokes an emotional reaction is just that. People have all manner of different triggers. Consider the story of Proust's Madeleines, where a single sensory experience triggers a rush of memory.
    My reaction was because it was sword art online. Arguably one of the worst anime I ve had the displeasure of watching. I just cannot imagine what part of that cringey half assed harem with incredibly cheesy romance could have triggered something emotional in anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    My reaction was because it was sword art online. Arguably one of the worst anime I ve had the displeasure of watching. I just cannot imagine what part of that cringey half assed harem with incredibly cheesy romance could have triggered something emotional in anyone.
    Haha, no I didn't cry because of the romance although I see nothing "cheesy" about the romance between Asuna and Kirito.
    I don't understand how you can view this as a "harem" anime, unless I misunderstood the story, Kirito stayed loyal to Asuna the whole time.

What made me cry were different things. The Yuuki story arc for instance is quite moving and sad. Also I instantly took Yui-chan into my heart, so when stuff happened to her it hit me. The cry for her mother when she touched the energy barrier drove a stake right though my heart. (I wonder what went through the mind of the person that voiced her at that moment)

I did watch it in japanese with EN subtitles. Because I didn't understand the words, I had much more time to listen closely to the emotions of the voices. Quite an interesting experience.

Lastly: the soundtrack alone is enough to trigger emotional responses within me.
    Does a Cello played like that do nothing to you?

Iirc this is the scene where Kirito watches the recording of the girl that died in the dungeon and blames himself.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-08-10 at 10:08 AM.

The original work is even worse in terms of "i am the writer, kirito is my fantasy self insert who is the best at everything forever" up to and including the black edgelord being the best jizzer ever with "2 years worth of semen filled asuna at once, glop glop glop". Thats an actual line from the work.

.HACK// and Log Horizon it is not, but its certainly the best gary stu cringe adventure without equal. So at least there is one thing Kirito is actually the best at. I cant see a "Kirito swordart" style name ingame without thinking "GLOP GLOP GLOP" and cringing at all the times i've seen fangirls that strangely enjoy this horrible series and love his character.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The original work is even worse in terms of "i am the writer, kirito is my fantasy self insert who is the best at everything forever" up to and including the black edgelord being the best jizzer ever with "2 years worth of semen filled asuna at once, glop glop glop". Thats an actual line from the work.

.HACK// and Log Horizon it is not, but its certainly the best gary stu cringe adventure without equal. So at least there is one thing Kirito is actually the best at. I cant see a "Kirito swordart" style name ingame without thinking "GLOP GLOP GLOP" and cringing at all the times i've seen fangirls that strangely enjoy this horrible series and love his character.
    since were on OT atm, i'm one of the people who also believes that SAO gets way to much credit for being the "best" MMO type anime out there when people don't even try to watch Log Horizon or the .Hack series. sure the stakes are higher in SAO but when the MC is absolutely OP and just a fantasy outlet of the writer, the show becomes retarded and you can't even get invested in what hapens. i couldn't even watch it past 2 episodes due to cringeworthyness of kirito
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Deleted
    Haha, no I didn't cry because of the romance although I see nothing "cheesy" about the romance between Asuna and Kirito.
    I don't understand how you can view this as a "harem" anime, unless I misunderstood the story, Kirito stayed loyal to Asuna the whole time.

What made me cry were different things. The Yuuki story arc for instance is quite moving and sad. Also I instantly took Yui-chan into my heart, so when stuff happened to her it hit me. The cry for her mother when she touched the energy barrier drove a stake right though my heart. (I wonder what went through the mind of the person that voiced her at that moment)

I did watch it in japanese with EN subtitles. Because I didn't understand the words, I had much more time to listen closely to the emotions of the voices. Quite an interesting experience.

Lastly: the soundtrack alone is enough to trigger emotional responses within me.
    Does a Cello played like that do nothing to you?

Iirc this is the scene where Kirito watches the recording of the girl that died in the dungeon and blames himself.
    For me the anime was "passable" up to the point where they found yui. From that point on it was filled with plotholes, incredibly cheesy romance and while kirito remains loyal to asuna like you said you see every female in the anime (even his god damn sister) drooling over him despite him being the king of all betas.
    The second season with alfheim was even worse. One of the worst villains I ve ever seen in an anime

- - - Updated - - -

Oh god... dont give me more reasons to dislike this piece of trash XD

10+ Year Old Account
    "2 years worth of semen filled asuna at once, glop glop glop"
    Are you referring to the original texts now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    since were on OT atm, i'm one of the people who also believes that SAO gets way to much credit for being the "best" MMO type anime out there when people don't even try to watch Log Horizon or the .Hack series. sure the stakes are higher in SAO but when the MC is absolutely OP and just a fantasy outlet of the writer, the show becomes retarded and you can't even get invested in what hapens. i couldn't even watch it past 2 episodes due to cringeworthyness of kirito
    Sword Art Online has an appeal for what they call in Japan the "Chuunibyou audience" which largely in western terms is kind of like the tween hot topic crowd. The 'best at everything forever, and their love is so pure' self insert power trip fiction of the author -that gets increasingly creepy as characters like kiritos sister-cousin are added who also want to fuck him, because every woman is in love with the author-i mean Kirito because he is a Niel Breen style 'best at everything' character that appeals to young kids who want the power trip fantasy full of cliches.

Theres a reason its called "The Japanese Twilight" after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you referring to the original texts now?
    Yep, although the anime gets creepier/cringier in the second season and onwards. Not quite as bad as the "with a great flowing noise it flooded her insides" which sounds like that one onion article about the zookeeper raped by a bear. And its supposed to be "romantic"

10+ Year Old Account
    you see every female in the anime (even his god damn sister) drooling over him despite him

The second season with alfheim was even worse. One of the worst villains I ve ever seen in an anime
    She isn't his sister. She is his cousin.
    I see what you mean though. I simply discounted women flying at him as the usual "awkward Japanese anime behavior" and tuned it out in order to focus on the rest.

The villain in Alfheim wasn't a villain per se. I see him more as an insane person in a position of power.
    I do admit that the purple tentacle monster scene made me chuckle. Maybe the writers wanted to have a laugh at their own expense?

Sword Art Online has an appeal for what they call in Japan the "Chuunibyou audience" which largely in western terms is kind of like the tween hot topic crowd. The 'best at everything forever, and their love is so pure' self insert power trip fiction of the author -that gets increasingly creepy as characters like kiritos sister-cousin are added who also want to fuck him, because every woman is in love with the author-i mean Kirito because he is a Niel Breen style 'best at everything' character that appeals to young kids who want the power trip fantasy full of cliches.

i just get anoyed at the fans in my country since in my cosplay conventions (or even FB) all the girls drools about kirito and asuna and how its the best thing ever and i just want to beat them with like haseo/atoli, haseo/alkaid, kite/blackrose or even shiroe/akatsuki for better character and story development XD
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite as bad as the "with a great flowing noise it flooded her insides" which sounds like that one onion article about the zookeeper raped by a bear. And its supposed to be "romantic"
    Erm... okay... glad they didn't put that into the anime.

i just get anoyed at the fans in my country since in my cosplay conventions (or even FB) all the girls drools about kirito and asuna and how its the best thing ever and i just want to beat them with like haseo/atoli, haseo/alkaid, kite/blackrose or even shiroe/akatsuki for better character and story development XD
    Yeah like i said, its weeaboo twilight. Kirito and Asuna are Bella and Edward. Its just about VRMMORPGS instead of Vampires. Thats the only difference.

Its just kind of sad that younger folks will have never seen something like .Hack that does similar ideas so much better and isn't just a writers outlet for his power fantasy about having every woman ever fall in love with him as he becomes an mmo god. If it was a white guy writing it on his blog it would be laughed off as fedoracore wish fulfilment but the anime legitimised it. But thats kind of a problem with the anime industry right now where creativity is at an all time low so both anime and manga are relying more and more on "guy who appears to be disadvantaged secretly has the most powerful maguffin ever" based light novels.

The best recent example i can think of is Log Horizon, but even then it burns through like 5 light novels in its first season then for season 2 tries to stretch one and a half out for the same amount of time and it just doesnt work.

Still .Hack remains the standard the "japanese twilight" should rightly be compared to.

Though i imagine its "90's as fuck" for younger audiences who seem to find the grain of traditional hand drawn cell animation to be unbearable.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just get anoyed at the fans in my country since in my cosplay conventions (or even FB) all the girls drools about kirito and asuna and how its the best thing ever
    Maybe it's their subconscious desire to have a person in their life that fights this hard for them?

Personally, I didn't find Kirito all that interesting. As you say: he is overpowered, even in RL when he spares the bad guy in a combat situation despite all that he did to Asuna and himself. That kind of strength of character is imho inhuman.

It's characters like Yuuki, Asuna, Shinon and Yui-chan that made the series for me.

What also has been interesting were the questions it made me ask about VR and to a lesser extent Role Play in general, how emotions we let our characters feel have a basis in reality and how they might affect us as a person.

I'm happy that we do not have "full dive" technology. I'm pretty sure that I could not handle such a virtual reality w/o losing myself.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-08-10 at 10:44 AM.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, although the anime gets creepier/cringier in the second season and onwards. Not quite as bad as the "with a great flowing noise it flooded her insides" which sounds like that one onion article about the zookeeper raped by a bear. And its supposed to be "romantic"
    are these actual lines from when they have sex in the novel?

Maybe it's their subconscious desire to have a person on their life that fights this hard for them?

Personally, I didn't find Kirito all that interesting. As you say: he is overpowered, even in RL when he spares the bad guy in a combat situation despite all that he did to Asuna and himself. That kind of strength of character is imho inhuman.

It's characters like Yuuki, Asuna, Shinon and Yui-chan that made the series for me.
    If you prefer those sorts of characters there are creeper/cringe free alternatives but most are still manga. They also tend to be set in mmorpgs where the character plays a crafter. The only ones that spring to mind by name are Only Sense Online and Toaru Osssan no VRMMORPG but theres quite a few worth looking into. Though the mmo setting has largely been dying off in favour of a more popular "main character died irl and was reborn in a fantasy world with mmo rules" which can lead to even more cringey power trip stuff but there is a few interesting ones there like Kumo Desi Ga, Nani Ka? about a girl who dies in a high school gas explosion and wakes up reborn as a tiny fantasy mmo style world spider that has to try and survive which is more comedic based but still pretty entertaining without the "MC is naturally the best and everyone falls in love with them, even relatives" creep factor of SAO.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what he said:
    Thats an actual line from the work.

"Japanese Twilight" remember? Kirito is so much the best at everything ever even his ability to jizz is unrivalled!! Truly a balanced character in a deep, nuanced narrative.