Moving on to more recent news on this front. What do we all think about Blizzard's announcement about not announcing legacy servers at Blizzcon?

Hey everyone,

We’ve seen some talk among the community that you might be expecting to hear some news on legacy servers at BlizzCon, and we just wanted to take a moment to let you know that while we’re still discussing the possibility, we won’t have any updates to share on that until after the show.

These past few months we’ve been laser-focused on the launch of Legion and getting Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan ready to go (it’s almost here!), as well as prepping for BlizzCon—which is always a huge undertaking itself. You’ve heard us say that the launch of Legion was just the beginning of the story we want to tell in this expansion. What we will focus on at BlizzCon is how the team is committed to making sure we bring you a steady stream of content going forward, and we can’t wait to share what’s next for Legion.

Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you at BlizzCon.

-J. Allen Brack and the World of Warcraft development team
    Personally I think this is a misfire. They should have struck while the iron was hot. Blizzcon was the perfect time to announce this, given it's been months since the Nostalrius saga, surely they should know their game plan on this topic by now. Now they'll be under fire again on a second wave of back lash.

Keep in mind I don't plan on switching from retail to legacy, I might play it as an alt project to dick around with. But clearly there is a strong and passionate niche, and it's a shame they aren't being catered too after Nostalrius proved how big that could potentially be.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    Moving on to more recent news on this front. What do we all think about Blizzard's announcement about not announcing legacy servers at Blizzcon?

Personally I think this is a misfire. They should have struck while the iron was hot. Blizzcon was the perfect time to announce this, given it's been months since the Nostalrius saga, surely they should know their game plan on this topic by now. Now they'll be under fire again on a second wave of back lash.

Keep in mind I don't plan on switching from retail to legacy, I might play it as an alt project to dick around with. But clearly there is a strong and passionate niche, and it's a shame they aren't being catered too after Nostalrius proved how big that could potentially be.
    Tune in next week month year? for the next exciting episode of When Will Legacy Be Announced:

• After Mark Kern's meeting
    • After the Nost meeting
    • At BlizzCon
    • Probably never

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    I will probably get lynched for asking, but what is the appeal of Classic WoW?

I have played since then and the game has its problems now still. But there is no way I would want to play in Classic conditions ever again.

I have nostalgia thinking back to it, but that was because WoW was my first MMO and all new and exciting to me, like when I first played Ocarina of Time or Baldurs Gate I, II.
    Well, for one you couldn't actually breeze your way throught content (and I'm not talking about using heirlooms either). You could actually die to a couple of mobs if you weren't careful. There IS an appeal to that, why do you think games have difficulty levels? You might say that this makes it harder to get to max level but screw that, this game isn't just about endgame, that's ridiculous.

No on-rails questlines and no quest helper. You actually had to get immersed to complete quests, sure if that bothered you, you could always download an addon.

The world felt bigger and mysterious because of the previous reasons. Also it wasn't convoluted as hell. Heck, the only retcon afaik was the whole Eredar thing, which Metzen actually went on the forums for and apologized (don't expect something like that to happen, ever again)

So yeah, that's it for me, maybe I could think of a couple more reasons but that's it for now. Current WoW has nothing of what I mentioned, hadn't since 3.3.0 (maybe even before that, but that's the point it really went bad for me.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I never played EQ, but from what I understand all that separates WoW from EQ was time. For example, it took hours for a boat to travel between continents when in WoW it's every few minutes. That's more of a quality of life than being casual. Also, just because WoW was made more "accessible" doesn't mean the game was originally meant for a casual audience.
    First, your understanding is wrong.

EQ had quite different mechanics as did UO. WoW didn't punish you with negative xp when you died, EQ did. At WoW you ressed at nearest graveyard. In EQ There were no graveyeards. You'd bind yourself to a location. And sometimes that location would leave you unable to get your corpse. And when you die, all your stuff is going to be in your corpse, until you manage to find it and reunite with it. Getting your stuff back would sometimes mean you lost all the XP gained in the past couple of days, but you *had* to do it.
    Most normal zones were not soloable at all. You were not able to kill mobs alone, grouping was forces to get anywhere. etc. etc. EQ was wildly different game compared to Vanilla WoW.

Secondly I find your reasoning a bit strange.

Boiling it down to "only difference was time and convenience" is just oversimplifying it. If that is the case, then I can use the same argument between Vanilla and Legion. So why even talk about legacy servers? Legion is just as good?

WoW was always the casual alternative to the competitors at the time. That's largely why it "won" and became wildly popular.
    Last edited by mmoc53950756e3; 2016-10-27 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post

or people can learn to accept the "no" they've been getting every time they ask and move on with their lives

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    First, your understanding is wrong.

EQ had quite different mechanics as did UO. WoW didn't punish you with negative xp when you died, EQ did. At WoW you ressed at nearest graveyard. In EQ There were no graveyeards. You'd bind yourself to a location. And sometimes that location would leave you unable to get your corpse. And when you die, all your stuff is going to be in your corpse, until you manage to find it and reunite with it. Getting your stuff back would sometimes mean you lost all the XP gained in the past couple of days, but you *had* to do it.
    Most normal zones were not soloable at all. You were not able to kill mobs alone, grouping was forces to get anywhere. etc. etc. EQ was wildly different game compared to Vanilla WoW.

Secondly I find your reasoning a bit strange.

Boiling it down to "only difference was time and convenience" is just oversimplifying it. If that is the case, then I can use the same argument between Vanilla and Legion. So why even talk about legacy servers? Legion is just as good?

WoW was always the casual alternative to the competitors at the time. That's largely why it "won" and became wildly popular.
    Oh fucking negative XP god I remember that in FF11 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Since diablo 2 has a higher average population than d3 does?
    ??

Since when '# of players' had any relation to developer team activity or stagnation?

And what do you think the reason they stopped reporting sub numbers to the public.
    I'm not arrogant to presume I can state as fact something I have no way of knowing.

If you think there is any other reason besides them hiding how low its getting your a fool.
    "If you disagree with me, you're a fool."

Yeah, great argument there, champ. (/sarcasm)

Sorry but they have plenty of money, and plenty of resources to make these realms a thing and it wont detract from thier other games at all.
    Just because they have money doesn't mean they should spend it willy-nilly. It's a quick ticket to bankruptcy.

People saying they wish it would never happen are just trying to shit in other peoples cheerios.
    Yeah. Because the possibility that they just want the WoW team to focus on the main game and not have the game they play be affected is just too ludicrous to be true, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    ??

Since when '# of players' had any relation to developer team activity or stagnation?

I'm not arrogant to presume I can state as fact something I have no way of knowing.

"If you disagree with me, you're a fool."

Yeah, great argument there, champ. (/sarcasm)

Just because they have money doesn't mean they should spend it willy-nilly. It's a quick ticket to bankruptcy.

Yeah. Because the possibility that they just want the WoW team to focus on the main game and not have the game they play be affected is just too ludicrous to be true, right?
    Well then thier active player count can keep going down and down then with them focusing hardcore on the main game like they have been. meanwhile ill be sitting back laughing at the subs they could have had if they had done what the players wanted instead of what blizzard thinks they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    or people can learn to accept the "no" they've been getting every time they ask and move on with their lives
    Except we never got a "No", especially not ever since the whole Nostalrius incident.

It's always "we want to do it but we don't know if enough people would play it", "we're still discussing", "no plans for now" or something similar that doesn't confirm nor denies it in the long run.

Until they actually say something along the lines "no, we won't do it", it's in the best interest of people who actually want it to continue discussing and demonstrating interest in the whole thing. If you have concerns regarding the theme, you are free to express them. If you don't want to read about it, you are free not to enter legacy-related threads.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-10-27 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devven9 View Post
    Should someone tell this guy misdirection and tricks of the trade didn't exist in vanilla? I mean, I can tell him if no one else wants to.
    The video included more than just vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    Do you actually think that if you post something you clearly didn't experience that people are going to believe you? Server community never a thing? Sure there were jerks then like there are now but if you got blacklisted for bad behavior or being a jerk you were done. The best players on a server were known. I had my pvp enemies and our guild KOS list. I doubt those even exist anymore.

Are you joking about about the aggro management because you are just making it up. I was on the highest progression TBC guild on our server. We had a great paly tank named Christof. As a pure DPS class you needed to start slow and watch the threat meters. Thats right the threat meters. Not the DPS meter. I needed to shatter more often than not and if he was picking up adds you needed to hold off before you started seeding. Why? Because if you didn't you were about to have ten things on you that could one shot you. DPS was hard to control and Brutalis was an excellent example. They put a DPS hardwall boss in the game that was slightly easier to hold aggro on. Your DPS needed to burn and if they couldn't Brutalis would wipe the raid. A boss mechanic like that was put in just to see if the tank could struggle WITH HELP to hold threat while the DPS went all out. Without the buff Brutalis would have lost agro on the tank and it would have been over. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Brutallus

Read the second bullet and you will see what they did with Taunt on Brutalis. The taunts magnafied the threat instead of being a temporary increase to threat. Back in TBC you could not taunt a boss for threat. They put this in just so you could go all out on DPS. Go read any strat guide for a boss in TBC. They always list tips: don't blow CD too quickly or the tank will lose threat.

So yeah, as you can tell from Brutalis even Blizz thinks you are full of s#17.
    Mate i've killed everything up to muru pre-nerf.
    As a warrior tank please just educate your self.

I've never had problems holding aggro unless i was in my t4 days and i was playing with t6 geared dps.
    Most if not all classes had threat dump ability's be it shatter/wind sheer/fd/invis/vanish and so on if your dps ain't using those that is their problem not mine.

Those 2 things go hand to hand.
    I've experienced every boss in this game preaty much at their prime bar muru and sinestra.

Again you have played with bad ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    I don't fully agree. I am starting to really think expanding and improving timewalking is the key to Blizzard's success with the vanilla experience. From what i hear, falling asleep on your keyboard will still allow you to succeed in current timewalked dungeons. However, Blizzard has control over that experience. They can tune it to be much more like it was during vanilla. They can reduce the drop of epics, reduce the power of aoe, require attunements, increase mana costs of abilities, increase the relative strength of the bosses, and so on. They could even timewalk old zones, like the popular STV. I think both sides can win on this.

And if you do have a problem with Gnome Hunters fighting besides you on Vael, then fuck you, you don't deserve a legacy server in the first place.
    It does sound intresting on the condition that the attunements are actually challenging in both time and difficulty. Still, its not the raids that makes vanilla what it is.

Totally agree, but a lot of the other content could be timewalked. Zones, raids, dungeons, battlegrounds (probably just AV needed) all could effectively be timewalked. At least this idea allows Blizzard to move forward with their game.

On a side note, attunements were difficult? Weren't they just really time sinks?
    Attunements were never difficult, they were a way to tell the story to players. How immersive it is to get a quest for Onyxia's head after a long quest chain if you've already killed the dragon a dozen times? Themepark MMOs need more attunements, not less, and i'm not talking about raids only - also dungeons should have attunement quests. And in a way they used to have, even though you could enter them without the final quest. Not only did it make dungeon crawling more interesting, it also gave outside world questing a purpose other than leveling up your character.

Now you just point and click a dungeon name on a menu, teleport to an unknown location, get half a dozen quests from NPC's you have no clue who they are and what's going on, then steamroll through weak mobs and collect your price.

This difference is the main reason i'd choose vanilla over Legion.

Totally agree, but a lot of the other content could be timewalked. Zones, raids, dungeons, battlegrounds (probably just AV needed) all could effectively be timewalked. At least this idea allows Blizzard to move forward with their game.
    That's a way to use old content, but not necessarily of giving a similar experience to what it was.

If anything, the idea of pristine/heroic/mythic realms would fit better (realms with the same content, but different rates and rules - slower leveling, some accessibility features disabled, harder tuning on mobs etc. Could even play with the idea of progression there (unlocking content and further levels slowly thorugh time). It could even be adapted to the "extreme" of adjusting all old raids and such to be flexible 10-30. But most of all it could make the current content more oldschool-like (for instance they could disable LFR, Normal & Heroic modes, etc). Many ways to do it, and could even lead to many different realms with different rulesets (although too many would be a mess to manage)

But I don't know how that would work, and I highly doubt it would be as popular as simple legacy realms.

With that said, legacy realms don't really stop Blizzard from moving forward with the game in any way. Quite the reverse, I think, it allows them to do what they actually want with the current game, and making it target the audience they want to target, instead of trying to please both that audience and the legacy audience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    or people can learn to accept the "no" they've been getting every time they ask and move on with their lives...
    ...and play in a private server.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-27 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well, for one you couldn't actually breeze your way throught content (and I'm not talking about using heirlooms either). You could actually die to a couple of mobs if you weren't careful. There IS an appeal to that, why do you think games have difficulty levels? You might say that this makes it harder to get to max level but screw that, this game isn't just about endgame, that's ridiculous.
    Besides elite mobs that can still kill you if you arent a tank, what mobs could kill you while leveling in vanilla wow? Vanilla WoW leveling wasn't harder than current leveling at all. It was just longer.

No on-rails questlines and no quest helper. You actually had to get immersed to complete quests, sure if that bothered you, you could always download an addon.
    "Get immersed". Lol. The vast majority of the WoW population spent half their lives on thotbot.com, and the standard response to any question in general chat was thotbot.com. Such immersion much wow.

The world felt bigger and mysterious because of the previous reasons. Also it wasn't convoluted as hell. Heck, the only retcon afaik was the whole Eredar thing, which Metzen actually went on the forums for and apologized (don't expect something like that to happen, ever again)

So yeah, that's it for me, maybe I could think of a couple more reasons but that's it for now. Current WoW has nothing of what I mentioned, hadn't since 3.3.0 (maybe even before that, but that's the point it really went bad for me.)
    The rose colored glasses are, as always, strong in this thread.

Vanilla WoW was not harder than current WoW in any sense of the word besides time consuming. It was mechanically much simpler in every way. Raid mechanics were simple, mobs had no more than one or two mechanics at once, and nothing did damage besides avoidable elites. There were group quests that you did if you had a group or were a BM hunter or warlock, but otherwise simply skipped. That's it. The whole shebang.

I loved BC and I loved WotLK, but not because they were in any way mechanically superior to what we have today. The overtunes of those expansions on the backbone of WoW today would be better than either separately. Vanilla was a straight-up joke of a game which survived to an expansion purely because of its IP.

Deleted
    Before playing WoW in 2005 (Febuary the 11th in France, official launch day), i was playing Ryzom, a different mmorpg with a really interesting universe and good graphism for the time, my first mmo after playing countless hours on Neverwinter Night online (Paladin(20)/Priest(18)/Monk(2) ! Strangely, I’ve always played either a paladin or a priest in rpg, including Baldur’s gate – best rpg ever -). I was like 15y old, and it’s on this mmo that I learn what a “tank” is, what “aggro” and “heal” means. Even more for a French young guy who knew nothing in English outside the school thing we learned. This mmorpg was hard to level, you know why? Because after a particular level (Like, level 35 let’s say in WoW), you needed a tank, a healer, and some dps just to kill a regular npc which can aggro you for 5x more distance than the first elite you met in Vanilla. And of course, your xp bar decreased each time you died. I don’t have to say more because the more you progress, the less people you met, and the high-end content was perhaps existant, but people abandon way before.

Especially when everybody heard that WoW will come. For a huge fan of the RTS, it was just a dream, being able to be the little “grunt” in this world, to meet Jaina, Arthas, or Kel’thuzad was just an awesome idea. I remember this day like it was yesterday, it was a Friday, and I come home from school completely excited to create my account. In fact, it was the family account, with my father, my sister AND my brother, before being “mine” years later when, after countless hours of fight to be “the one” who played, my dad decided to buy a second computer. I remember my dad being worried because there was a “lag” (What his this word back then? Haha) when he “put” his credit card, and the page didn’t refresh. But my account was created. And then my eyes shined like they have never shined before. (Maybe in a Portishead live concert). I was in Warcraft, with my undead priest, in a creepy area with undead and dogs everywhere. When I saw my first green, I said “HOLY SHIT”, because green items were extremely huge items in Diablo, and I thought it was the same, but it turns to be a 1-hand axe I couldn’t even use. Silverpine was the best memory, when I saw the son of arugal walking in the woods, with his “??” level, I tried to approach, just to be killed in 2s while all my spells missed. I remember having hard time killing the npc in the island in the middle, because I have no reaction to use my healing spells, my shields, or were too slow to react. I could say all the good memories I got, from the day I yelled to my dad in Silverpine “DAD, I’M FLYING ON A BAT, COME WATCH !”, to my absolute disgust of Stranglethorn (I hate jungles areas), the “Kill 10 tigers, then 10 huge tigers, then Tigerx, the king of tigers” from Nesingwary, the genocide of gorilla I did next to BootyBay for the quest item, the overwhelming joy when I reach the level 40 and the shadow form “I’M A SHADOW HOLY SHIT”, the quest in the troll area in the hinterlands (With the stairs everywhere), the day I received a phone call when I was in the plaguelands, from my college teacher “WHERE ARE YOU”, because I didn’t go to school this day, just to play. Or the day I log in in Hillsbrads, just to be murdered by a swarm of alliance guy. The world PvP was nice the first hours before being overwhelmed by the ratio alliance/horde on my populated realm. The same world PvP that went extinct when the first WSG came out.

The things I loved in WoW was the fact the leveling was something you could do completely alone, surrounded by players, sure, but alone anyway. I hate waiting for people or be faster to reach them, I like reading quest, watch the environnement at my own speed. Each xpac, I told my friend “Don’t disturb me on skype, I’m questing.”. I only did 2 dungeons during my leveling in Vanilla, the one in Silverpine, where I tried to search for days a way to cast spells like Arugal (He casts spells with the /roar emote), and the one in the barrens, with the lich as end boss, the same lich that drop the blue robe with 20 stamina/10 intel that I kept until level 58.

When I reached level 60, It was a pure joy too. I could finally do the “high level content”. But it was less shiny than before. I loved it anyway, for the time, but when you were a 15y old boy, who can play few hours by day (It was still huge, my dad being a gamer helped too.), was a shadowpriest (Spec that people avoid, like everything that wasn’t mage, rogue, or war, priest, for tank and healing.) AND, loved PvP (People hated PvP players), you were not allowed to do lots of things. I remember spending my time in Orgrimmar, asking for a group during an hour, just to have either no answers, or “I prefer a mage, sorry”. So, what’s left? PvP, I could PvP in battleground, while farming Tyr’s hand for my mount. And PvP was time consuming too. But I could do WSG for days, Alterac valley which last days. Something I couldn’t do now. (I prefer arenas.). I farmed some pets too because I loved having a tiny animal following me. (“What that pet which gave you the green aura? ” “Ok, let’s farm.”).
    And of course, being late in PvE was a vicious circle, because, unless having friends who can “PL” your gear, indeed, you had to pass through all steps to PvE (Dungeon, MC, BWL…) while farming mindlessly for hours some resistance gear. Something of course, I couldn’t do because of my game time, and even with, my spec wasn’t popular at all, so time pass, but I accumulate so much late that PvE was just… nope for me. So you know what? I did all the dungeons with my sister, as 2 shadowpriests (She was playing a female undead SP). Believe me or not, but we killed all the boss beside the last one in UBRS as 2 shadowpriests, because our class was disgustingly overpowered in small content and PvP, thanks to the undead racial for priest, devoring plague. We farmed the elite mob in the snow area that I don’t remember the English name to have the “Eye of shadow”, for Anathema, and we got it in the first mob. (My sister was the most irritating lucky player ever, I asked her for joking to watch me play while I was farming the pet in Feralas, the tiny dragon, and I got it in 2min – bitch -).
    The thing that all this Nostalrius thing and Classic server remind me quite well, is the mentality. Of course there was a realm community. I was known to be a good duelist (And I played without any binds) in my realm, as a SP, but mostly because Devoring plague / SW:P and Vampiric Embrace allow you to kill someone without even target him.). But honestly, the overall mentality was extremely aggressive, arrogant, and hurting towards people that are not “real players”.

“Real players” in something that triggers me a lot. Because I’ve read all the post here, I’ve read all the reddit posts (This is the worst of all, a level of condescending people… iiieeerugh) too, and while some people have good argument, and are good and honest people with passions, the vast majority seems to be exactly what I hated the most in Vanilla. I was not a real player in Vanilla for them, because I played a useless spec, I didn’t have the same gametime as them, and I did PvP. 3 things that made you a worthless individual. I was in a guild, which was quite nice with me, because i didn’t ask anything, I helped when I can for PvP, I didn’t want any loots or rewards. When I had 2 weeks of school holiday, I decided to spend them only by doing PvP, to try to reach the rank 10. (I achieve it, by losing some vision point on my eyes, but it was worth.). One night, the guild, which was already falling apart thanks to some internal conflicts between some members, ask me if I wanted to come to MC, as a shadowpriest, because there was a place left. Imagine my reaction, I said yes instantly. I was hoping to drop the Anathema quest item, because I had all the other component in my bag. (The eye of shadow, and the one from the quest you could “cheat” by using the item in Scholomance to see ghosts. Something you should have done it AFTER having Majordomo item.). We did all the boss to Ragnaros, without any huge fail, and it was cool, it was as easy as the leveling, but with 39 more people. Then come Majordomo, and the quest item dropped in the chest. We were 5 priests, me as SP, and the 4 others had their Benediction. 50% of the guild refuses to give me the item, and prefer keep it in the chest. Why? Because in their own words, I wasn’t a real player, I just come one night, and drop the best thing, I was a shadowpriest, and the worst, I was doing PvP, so It would be a total waste. After 30min of debating between those “real players”, and the rest of the guild, the GM, annoyed, whisped me and told me “Loot the item, screw these players”. I thanked him like 10 times, dropped the thing, and created my Anathema in front of them. The guild disband days after. And I got my rank 10, and a UD SP with Anathema and the rank 10 armor set was “”. I despite PvE content since that day, just because of this horrible mentality, and the fact you needed to have a lot of time to do all the chores before the raid. Which was, be honest, 80% of the difficulty in Vanilla. (Managing 40 peoples while forcing them to farm reagents.)

This is exactly the same mentality I’ve read here, right now, and months ago when this event occurs. Talk about Nostalgia, and I had a smile with all of this. When I tried to watch a popular streamer “Kungen”, that was even worse. He was lying about lots of things (Especially about the leveling being hard, please. It was maybe long, but it wasn’t hard, put me in Vanilla now that I have bind and remember every quest, I will quest with a hand in my pants. And the fact you can play both Legacy and retail, no, you clearly can’t, unless you’re unemployed), and despise everyone who tried to argue with him. He watched videos of people saying exactly what he was thinking and said “He’s right !”, and then switched to “Venruki”’s one, saying that even if he understands than people wants Vanilla, for him, he had personally no incentive for it, and prefer that Blizzard continue to try to improve the current game. I don’t have to tell you that “Kungen” just spit on him, telling that he’s not a real player, so, his opinion doesn’t matter, and his mindless swarm of viewers start to insult. And it’s the same here.

I’m personally against Legacy servers, but it’s for an extremely selfish reason, because every memories I said before was… memories. It wasn’t about the leveling or the content itself (Honestly, I’m playing the same paladin since TBC, I would never, ever create a paladin in Vanilla. And as I said before, put me in Vanilla with how I play now – with binds, and knowledge – the leveling would be even more faster and easier, without any magic, I will not farm a pet for hours because it’s rare, I will not enjoy the alterac valley like I did before, and for a less important reason, the overall graphism will makes me puke – the water :x -), it was for the complete discovery, something i couldn’t find again on this game anymore, all the secrets, the “secret area” that people have heard of, walljump, droping your first epic. Maybe now, people would be more open-minded on “meh” spec in Vanilla, but even with that… I would not be stunned by how huge the world is, I will not spend hours of fishing to have the Ashbringer (Some legends said you could obtain it by fishing.), I will not inspect a guy with thunderfury and imagine myself in PvP with this weapon, I will skip the arugal’s son because I know he will drop nothing valuable, taking a fly will not be exciting, droping a epic would be “Cool. It’s not really the best stats, but it’s ok.”. All those magical and new things are sadly gone. Only the content will be there, and maybe the community, but it doesn’t seems really attractive when you read all post about this… issue. And considering the community was something completely avoidable for leveling. I had more social interactions through all Cataclysm->Legion than I never had in Vanilla and TBC, and I made a really close friend during MoP.
    I tried to play old games, I tried Neverwinter Night, I tried Half-life, I don’t want to try the old Witcher 1, and Baldur’s gate because each time I did that, I was completely disappointed, I played without flavor. And I don’t want to desecrate one of my 3 favorite games. (WoW, Baldur’s gate, Witcher). I keep the good memories in the past.

I’m pretty sure Legacy servers will be a thing in the future, but I hope for my personal happiness that it will be when I will be on another game (Mmo maybe?), and keep World of Warcraft in the past, but with a huge affection.

Have a nice day.

Jimjim/Gaunter - Archimonde

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Besides elite mobs that can still kill you if you arent a tank, what mobs could kill you while leveling in vanilla wow? Vanilla WoW leveling wasn't harder than current leveling at all. It was just longer.

"Get immersed". Lol. The vast majority of the WoW population spent half their lives on thotbot.com, and the standard response to any question in general chat was thotbot.com. Such immersion much wow.

The rose colored glasses are, as always, strong in this thread.

Vanilla WoW was not harder than current WoW in any sense of the word besides time consuming. It was mechanically much simpler in every way. Raid mechanics were simple, mobs had no more than one or two mechanics at once, and nothing did damage besides avoidable elites. There were group quests that you did if you had a group or were a BM hunter or warlock, but otherwise simply skipped. That's it. The whole shebang.

I loved BC and I loved WotLK, but not because they were in any way mechanically superior to what we have today. The overtunes of those expansions on the backbone of WoW today would be better than either separately. Vanilla was a straight-up joke of a game which survived to an expansion purely because of its IP.
    but I hope you at least can understand why people prefer another version of the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    War in MMO-champ have changed.
    Everything ends up in a war of "source?", "source or your argument is crap"

And you are like "Take that! here is the source"
    And the other person be like "godamit he had the source, what do i do now"

War is changing, i miss the old times of sourceless flame
    I think this entire topic boils down to a couple of things:

1. If it was such a popular idea through the years, why have they not done it?

2. If almost 300k people have signed a petition to get it, what have they not done it?

3. If the fans think Blizz listens, why have they not done it?

I mean if Blizz were honest, they'd come right out and say, "Of course we've kept a copy of every iteration of the game. 30gb is not that large and we have thousands of terabytes of space. Besides, who would be dumb enough to simply copy over the existing game without saving rollbacks?". Even in my job, we have education software versions that go back 15 years just in case some poor podunk school doesn't have internet and still uses Windows 98/XP. So if there is a strong chance they still have copies, and Nost is willing to share, we have to ask that same old question: "Why do they continue to pivot the subject and not bring classic servers?"

I'm sure they will offer more complex and distracting answers, but the truth of it seems to be, they are just not interested in going backwards, and are likely not interested in opening the flood gates. If they do it for Vanilla, they will end up having to do it for every expac as well, and in my opinion, it is just not worth the headache.

The simple answer is probably that for Blizz to do it properly, the cost would far outweigh any returns for a product with a limited lifespan