Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Only because there's no effort to even rehabilate prisoners(Least for the big offenders). There's also the fact not everyone in prisoner is just some hardcore bad person.

Yeah fuck off with that. Solitary is just inhumane.
    It's not, and even it is they deserve it anyway. Let them be set as an anyone who thinks it's cool to be a felon, or to those who are thinking about commiting a felony. We shouldn't be holding hands to criminal scumbags.
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2017-01-07 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    It's not, and even it is they deserve it anyway. Let them be set as an anyone who thinks it's cool to be a felon.
    "You got caught smoking weed so you deserve to be a slave"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "You got caught smoking weed so you deserve to be a slave"
    Most potheads I've met end up in jail for felony's and countless misdemeanors. Addiction is bad shit that brings the savagery outta people just to get a hit. Transients is what they are.
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2017-01-07 at 06:05 AM.

I would argue the way we treat our inmate's rights is comparative to slavery.

- - - Updated - - -

Most potheads I've met end up in jail for felony's and cou tless misdemeanors.
    /doubtfullness

You don't really want prisoners to be working in construction. Any manual labor they do can be done for far cheaper with a machine even if you are only paying for transportation and rations. Work that requires a skill such as masonry construction work you do not want to leave in the hands of the unskilled.

I have no moral objection to this just there really isn't anything for them to do on a construction site unless they have some skills to bring to the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most potheads I've met end up in jail for felony's and countless misdemeanors. Addiction is bad shit that brings the savagery outta people just to get a hit. Transients is what they are.
    Either you frequent social groups that are full of miscreants and addicts which means you're one yourself, or you've met only a small handful of pot heads which would effectively make your argument null.

The sheriff can ask his prisoners to volunteer. Forcing them to build it for no compensation is the very definition of slavery.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Aren't most of us "slaves" though to some extent?

I don't know too many people who like to get up on a cold winter's morning, stumble out to their freezing car, drive to their job and work eight hours, five days a week.

Why do people do it? Because they are forced to financially.
    Yes, we should work on implementing a guaranteed income.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

I can't believe people care so much about murderers, rapists, and thieves (or any other kind of violent/negligent perpetrators). And if an inmate doesn't fit into one of these categories then I don't think they belong in prison, but that's another topic.

It's not, and even it is they deserve it anyway. Let them be set as an anyone who thinks it's cool to be a felon, or to those who are thinking about commiting a felony. We shouldn't be holding hands to criminal scumbags.
    Man, if there was some sort of doctrine that prohibited punishment that was deemed cruel and unusual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    I can't believe people care so much about murderers, rapists, and thieves (or any other kind of violent/negligent perpetrators). And if an inmate doesn't fit into one of these categories then I don't think they belong in prison, but that's another topic.
    Sorry, I don't believe in socialized vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe in socialized vengeance.
    And sorry, but I don't believe in rape, murder, and thievery. The punishments should be far more strict. These crimes are still far too common and we need to do whatever is necessary to prevent them.

And sorry, but I don't believe in rape, murder, and thievery. The punishments should be far more strict. These crimes are still far too common and we need to do whatever is necessary to prevent them.
    people are people and will do those things anyway. isn't enough that those things are given the rightful amount of (legal and) societal scorn they already have?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    people are people and will do those things anyway. isn't enough that those things are given the rightful amount of (legal and) societal scorn they already have?
    Yeah, I have a lot of friends who are murders. I mean people are just people and do what people do, right? What kind of argument is this? As to your second point, no, I don't think it is enough.

I don't believe in those either, which i support practices that reduce recidivism, which include less harsh sentences.

Furthermore, murder has dropped significantly over the past 30 years. Also, the biggest form of thievery in this country isn't burglaries, robberies, or muggings, but civil asset forfeiture. If you really wanted to punish thievery, the cops should be behind bars.

I don't believe in those either, which i support practices that reduce recidivism, which include less harsh sentences.

Furthermore, murder has dropped significantly over the past 30 years. Also, the biggest form of thievery in this country isn't burglaries, robberies, or muggings, but civil asset forfeiture. If you really wanted to punish thievery, the cops should be behind bars.
    It's not just murder, but all forms of violence I am talking about. Secondly, I never said civil asset forfeiture was a good thing. If police are stealing people's property then they should also be charged for a crime, and be held to the same standards as any other citizen. But that's what happens when you have government run organizations. They tend to do whatever they want and are never held accountable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harsh punishments have essentially no deterrent effect whatsoever. People commit crimes either in the heat of the moment (and thus don't consider the consequences), or they think they'll get away with it. Nobody says to themselves "yeah, I could do 10 years if I get to kill this dude in exchange". That's not how humans work.

If you want to reduce crime, you need to reduce the causes of crime, not increase the punishments. As pretty much everyone involved in law enforcement other than those who run or support for-profit prisons would tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Those inmates are qualified to build a 30 foot or whatever wall?

Apart from the slavery bit, but I doubt that concerns you, because privatized prisons are already making money off convicts and having convicts work (in road construction or whatever) apparently has a long tradition.
    It's Trump, he never said the wall would actually be up to code. Hell he'll just repeal the code, put in a new code the best code!

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who are murders. I mean people are just people and do what people do, right? What kind of argument is this? As to your second point, no, I don't think it is enough.
    "lots of friends that are murders"
    ookay buddy, sure. you make it sound like you can cure humanity of those sorts of people which I at least don't think is ever going to be possible. we already have laws that forbid such things. unless you are suggesting a revamping of our justice system to which, yeah, I agree it needs to be improved.

It's not just murder, but all forms of violence I am talking about.
    You specifically said murder.

Secondly, I never said civil asset forfeiture was a good thing. If police are stealing people's property then they should also be charged for a crime, and be held to the same standards as any other citizen. But that's what happens when you have government run organizations. They tend to do whatever they want and are never held accountable.
    Of course, when civilian advocates say they should, you call them arsonists and murders. So whose fault is this, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    "lots of friends that are murders"
    ookay buddy, sure. you make it sound like you can cure humanity of those sorts of people which I at least don't think is ever going to be possible. we already have laws that forbid such things. unless you are suggesting a revamping of our justice system to which, yeah, I agree it needs to be improved.
    The first bit was sarcasm, if it wasn't obvious enough.

- - - Updated - - -

You specifically said murder.
    I thought I had edited it right after posting to include all forms of violence, for some reason the edit never went through though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Throw them in solitary for a month
    So slavery, got it.