10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The new patch is out next week right?
    Yes, 17th of January.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/spe..._Edge_Of_Fate/

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The new patch is out next week right?

Also I really hope they expand on giving us options during major events within the game. I know some people might find it silly but I think it adds much more immersion regardless if those options change the story.
    Yeah, no. All you'll get are the occasional dialogue choices which will dictate a couple responses before swerving back into the same result of the plot advancement. Much like how being a DRG altered a couple lines of dialogue in the MSQ at some point and how having completed the Bahamut raid changed a couple lines in the latest (3.4) MSQ patch.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I thought the initial story was pretty meh but these post release story missions are really good

FUUUUUUCCCK UUUUUUU

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they can, that was extremely intense

- - - Updated - - -

is there like an old thread somehwere on the official forums that has everyones reaction to that cause omg I'm like 3 years late but damn
    Hehe, and just think, we had 3 months or so to stew in that conclusion before we got to head into Ishgard.

I absolutely loved that they ended things on a down note to lead into the expansion rather than WoW's "always the conquering hero" route.

I expect Stormblood will be the opposite. We're going to be unified and ready, perhaps even with the Eorzean Alliance united with us, to liberate Ala Mhigo (but as they stated at Fan Fest, we're liberating a generation of people who only know Garlean occupation...do they even want to be liberated?).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I consider any game plot that is longer than a postcard to be redundant and unnessacary.
    We're done here. RPGs are simply 100% not designed for you in any way, shape, or form and you're not going to change the minds of JRPG fans who specifically want games with story.

There are fighters, platformers, brawlers, shooters, puzzlers, action adventure games as well as plenty of others. That's 6 listed genres that are typically very light or nonexistent on story. RPGs are the one genre where story and characters are meant to be more of a focal point.

I'm not saying your tastes are wrong. I just don't see a JRPG, or an MMO that is a JRPG at its core, as a game genre you're ever going to like.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-01-12 at 03:57 PM.

[SNIP]

I consider any game plot that is longer than a postcard to be redundant and unnessacary. Final Fantasy most of all. The stories they tell frequently clash with the mechanics of the game. I don't care about characters deaths when they're a Phoenix Down away from getting back up as if nothing ever happened. If the cutscenes and mechanics followed the same rules the story would resemble a comic book, where you just know that no matter how certain, how final a Heroes demise is, they'll be back and fighting crime again in no time. The fact that they are arbitreraly breaking the established rules of the game universe in order to tell a story should be all the indication you need that the two are already kept separate.

It's worse when they take control away from the player in order to play a cutscene. It divides the game into very clear "gameplay" sections and very clear "story" sections. You want to tell a gripping story full of backstabing, politics and intrigue? Write a book. Write a movie script, direct it yourself if you must. Video games are not the place to deal with heavy story matters.

[SNIP]

There are other new players in this thread complaining about the length of the pre-Heavensward quest chain. It took me ~2 weeks to get through. Thats 2 weeks of, essentially, being on pause. It was my own special circle of gaming hell and no one should be subjected to it ever again.
    I honestly didn't read your entire post earlier and because of @Faroth commenting on it I decided to go back and read the whole thing and found these gems.

As Faroth already stated, basically, you're playing the wrong genre and barking up the wrong tree if you think RPGs are going to put story in the back seat to focus on letting the players play the game. The whole reason the game exists is TO tell the story, the game play is just a vehicle to let you interact with the game world in an entertaining fashion while you experience the story. And your comment about video games not being the right place/ medium to handle story... just stop. Video games are as diverse a medium as movies or books...they'e all just a medium for doing whatever you want to do; tell a story, educate, entertain, etc. You're opinion/ comment on this specific comment is just flat out wrong. Your opinion on whether you like this type of game or not is entirely reasonable, and expected.

FFXIV is an RPG at it's core in which story is the primary function, some MMORPGs are a little light on the RPG part, FFXIV is not one of them. I am glad you enjoy the game play of this game and hope you stay around to continue enjoying it. But as already stated, this is an RPG focused on story, that is not going to change as it's a hallmark of both the series and the genre, if you hate the story that much there are plenty of other genres and games that will accommodate you.

OT: Can't wait for next week....really looking forward to the new quests and moving the story closer to the Stormblood release and closing out the Heavensward story line. New content is always refreshing and entertaining in this game as it rarely disappoints.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stories they tell frequently clash with the mechanics of the game. I don't care about characters deaths when they're a Phoenix Down away from getting back up as if nothing ever happened.
    The clash of story vs game mechanics/character abilities is true for most RPGs (esp MMORPGs) out there. I agree that it sucks and makes it hard to believe the stories.

When a certain character in FF-XIV died I was furious because my character, an experienced and powerful White Mage that healed injuries far more severe, didn't even attempt to heal him. She just looked shocked and sad... and let him die.

Same goes for "oh my god, he has been poisoned!11" yeah, big whoop. Again, I'm a White Mage and only one dispel away from taking care of it.

But it also goes the other way around: Some Guards are so OP that they kill our characters with a few blows if we happen to PvP. Yet these guards hire US (the guy they can just slap dead with their swords) to kill wolves, bandits and boars that they can't handle?!

FFS ohne single SW guard could take care of the "Defias Problem" himself lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    The clash of story vs game mechanics/character abilities is true for most RPGs (esp MMORPGs) out there. I agree that it sucks and makes it hard to believe the stories.

When a certain character in FF-XIV died I was furious because my character, an experienced and powerful White Mage that healed injuries far more severe, didn't even attempt to heal him. She just looked shocked and sad... and let him die.

Same goes for "oh my god, he has been poisoned!11" yeah, big whoop. Again, I'm a White Mage and only one dispel away from taking care of it.
    There's a few instances of this in XIV where I wish they had a little special addition for people on healing classes. A particular poison could have had an attempt that didn't work with showing the player character's confusion as to why it isn't working.

Similarly, coming up with lore explanations (even if we know they're convenient explanations) for certain wounds to not benefit from magic would be nice. Or heck, WHM is supposed to be a rarity, if there were reasons that WHMs didn't go around curing every ill willy nilly (with a separate reason for SCH), or if there was reason that traditional medicine and mending is a better choice than magic when you have both options would be nice little additions to the lore of the world, even if they might still feel a bit contrived.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...orySegregation

That's a thing that applies to pretty much every game. Developers would be wasting a lot of time if they tried to account for every possible angle when dealing with major events in the game's story. Sure, it may be more immersive but then we'd just be stuck waiting longer for content patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...orySegregation

That's a thing that applies to pretty much every game. Developers would be wasting a lot of time if they tried to account for every possible angle when dealing with major events in the game's story. Sure, it may be more immersive but then we'd just be stuck waiting longer for content patches.
    MMOs are a bit different duck as they have a little more opportunity to eventually work these ideas into their world. I would expect it to be flavor text somewhere or in a lore book for an MMO, not a major aspect in the game.

Deleted
    Tbh I was already surprised over little things like Estinen remembering me as Dragoon

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's very possible they can't top it, but I'd love to see an admirable attempt! If it's even 80% as good, I'll still be blown away. After WoW: Legion, just about anything in FF is better. =S WoW Legion was good, but lacked a lot of good storytelling opportunities I think and the storytelling they DID do was cliched as can be!

Tangent achieved.
    While I agree that FF does tell a decent story better than WoW does, Legion's was extremely good. The class storyline was excellent (in fact the Paladin one was significantly better than the PLD one in FF14). The quests leading up to the opening of Nighthold were excellent as well. Very well told and compelling. I didn't see an ounce of cliched content there.

I'm curious what point of the story you made it too in WoW. If it was anything less than up to Nighthold frankly not fair to pass judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    I'm cringing at how bad the pacing would be if they did something like this - imagine your favorite TV show, but it's just the climactic moments of each episode in a season slammed together into one episode. That's basically what you're advocating, and it's simply put a terrible idea. I see this a lot from those that don't carry about the story, but you've grossly underestimated how much of the 2.x series is important to both events that go on then and future events (hell, the refugee/Ul'dah/Omega stuff that was part of those events is a critical aspect of the upcoming expansion). There's maybe 15 quests that are legit filler, as in "go and do stuff with one of the cast while we 'wait' for this other thing to develop/finish researching this stuff/wait to hear back from dude in that other place" type stuff that doesn't directly move the story forward. Things like fetching tea or hanging out with Tataru as she tries out different jobs/professions. Those are very much the minority of quests.

While there might be a more ideal solution in uncoupling being able to do dungeons and raids and enter zones from unlocking them via the story (so you can do Sastasha at 15 or Haukke Manor at 28 or whatever at whatever level when you reach it, but the story quests themselves can only be done in order), removing story content for the sake of those that don't care about the story content doesn't even come close to making any sense.

Not to mention the development time it would take to rewrite in multiple languages, test for issues with quests being flagged...and then be expected to go back and do it again for the Heavensward 3.x series, and the Stormblood 4.x series...

I'd rather they not waste development time on removing things for those that don't care about them in the first place.
    You're not being fair here. It's basically irrefutable that there's a lot of non-essential quests that could be told via dialogue/cutscene (aka summarized rapidly) with no discernible reduction in storytelling quality.

That said I love stories in games, including this one, but I understand full well that out of the options presented trimming the fat is by far the best solution for new players and existing ones alike.

You want new players coming in and learning the ropes/seeing the story. You don't want them getting disenfranchised during a years worth of fetch quests upon hitting max level. That's grating even for the most established MMO veteran.

You however, are welcome to disagree that whether the time/money would be well spent vs. developing new content. As to my position on that topic I can't be quite sure what I'd side with. It's hard because I've already done it, so there's little attachment to me defending it, but in the same vein if I was just starting I'd dislike it strongly, especially coupled with the low level gameplay slog (also irrefutable that low lvl combat in this game sucks).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Or heck, WHM is supposed to be a rarity, if there were reasons that WHMs didn't go around curing every ill willy nilly (with a separate reason for SCH), or if there was reason that traditional medicine and mending is a better choice than magic when you have both options would be nice little additions to the lore of the world, even if they might still feel a bit contrived.
    We have a child that tried to cast white magic and nearly killed herself in the process because she was draining her own energy. Using magic is not without it's dangers, even the healing one.

Still, my character should have at least attempted to heal him. Other RPGs do it and even go as far as giving you class specific options (like making a deal with a desire demon to gain blood magic in Dragonage or the use of axii opening new conversation options in Witcher).

I know DEV time is limited, but if you have three roles, REPRESENT them.
    Healers could try to heal him.
    Tanks could jump in, try to block the projectile themselves but fail to do so.
    DPS could try to take a stab of revenge at the target (or in case or melee give it a really angry look :> )

I think the main reason they shy away from it is the need for parity. Imagine the outrage if he died for some speccs and nor for others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    While I agree that FF does tell a decent story better than WoW does, Legion's was extremely good. The class storyline was excellent (in fact the Paladin one was significantly better than the PLD one in FF14). The quests leading up to the opening of Nighthold were excellent as well. Very well told and compelling. I didn't see an ounce of cliched content there.
    True, they are well done.
    Although it was quite lame that Balnazzar was such a wimpy pushover. He didn't manage to get my Pally below 90% HP lol.
    Also, the pally story is basically the same as the Priest one. ._.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2017-01-12 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ser Aymeric voice... cringe-worthy. It seems like the actor is out of breath all the time, it's making me anxious o.o

But I'm just blown away by the storyline. Getting ever closer to Heavensworth's content.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Tbh I was already surprised over little things like Estinen remembering me as Dragoon
    I loved how, because i'm the current max rank in Immortal Flames, that during the fight with Rhaubahn outside Ishgard the events were different because we are part of the same Grand Company.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Ser Aymeric voice... cringe-worthy. It seems like the actor is out of breath all the time, it's making me anxious o.o

But I'm just blown away by the storyline. Getting ever closer to Heavensworth's content.
    Don't you say anything bad about my Ser Amyeric. > : |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Don't you say anything bad about my Ser Amyeric. > : |
    He's very well written! It's just the voice over. I can't.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    We have a child that tried to cast white magic and nearly killed herself in the process because she was draining her own energy. Using magic is not without it's dangers, even the healing one.

Still, my character should have at least attempted to heal him. Other RPGs do it and even go as far as giving you class specific options (like making a deal with a desire demon to gain blood magic in Dragonage or the use of axii opening new conversation options in Witcher).

I know DEV time is limited, but if you have three roles, REPRESENT them.
    Healers could try to heal him.
    Tanks could jump in, try to block the projectile themselves but fail to do so.
    DPS could try to take a stab of revenge at the target (or in case or melee give it a really angry look :> )

I think the main reason they shy away from it is the need for parity. Imagine the outrage if he died for some speccs and nor for others.
    I really would love that. Sure they can make some stupid reason why you can't defend/help/whatever the person but it'd make an interesting flavor change depending on what role you are. Best part though is that since you can replay cut scenes, so it's not like people can miss scenes when they can just watch it again.

finally bothered to finished alexander. story was very sweet and such a sad ending. but thats what i love about this game. the story buys you into it

well back to FF14 now that the failure switch event ended

leveling rogue cause gotta be naruto now
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    well back to FF14 now that the failure switch event ended

leveling rogue cause gotta be naruto now
    I feel like ROG was much, much, much more entertaining before the NIN arc, story-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I feel like ROG was much, much, much more entertaining before the NIN arc, story-wise.
    Mm. I love ROG but NIN? Blergh. The animations just don't do anything for me.