Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Guys I can't seem to find any info on this yet.
    Will the 8700k work on my Asrock Z170 K6 or not?
    I keep finding posts about updating your bios for it to work, is that right?
    From what I recall, Coffeelake has different pin layout, due to increased power demands, hence the socket 1151v2. So it won't work, am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    From what I recall, Coffeelake has different pin layout, due to increased power demands, hence the socket 1151v2. So it won't work, am afraid.
    Yes, you are right.

The Anand review shows this quite clearly, even with pin diagrams. https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859...tial-numbers/3

Coffee Lake uses 32 pins more that were formerly reserved as Power and Ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    This all depends on what you do with your PC.

Obviously you game, do you do video editing, any CAD stuff, etc. etc. is your system giving you annoyances? 4-5 Year old system I will assume its a 3570/3770k or 4670/4790k? if its the latter I would wait until Ice/Tiger unless your system is giving you issues.

Coffeelake looks like a decent path for anyone looking to upgrade that needs to, 2500k to 3770k or older systems.
    Intel Core i5 4670K and a Gigabyte Z87X mobo. Noctua cooler. MSI 1060 that I have no intention to replace right now, bought a good PSU at that same time as well (about a year ago). Play pretty much exclusively Blizz games.

The main problems currently are that my MOBO has already failed in part and I had to switch my storage HDD and my Blu ray connections, meaning I currently have a Blu ray that's on a dodgy connection. Second problem is that even with my system overclocked and my settings tweaked and changed ad nauseum with chaud and others, I still cannot capture video in a satisfactory manner. My CPU just can't quite cope with the load it seems, cause I am at high load most of the time and will sometimes get spikes in load that show up as blimps in any video I shoot.

So I suspect my MOBO is a ticking time bomb and I just want to be able to capture video of my gaming exploits that don't leave me wincing every few seconds when I see another blimp. Waiting for the next generation of CPU's is not really an option.

The choice is basically build with slightly more expensive parts for 4 years or build with more cost/performance based parts for between 2 and 3 years (I'd likely replace the whole system including GPU at that point).

I've tended to go with cost/performance based parts, but I do not want to end up in this same situation again where in 2 years my system is not quite up to doing the tasks I want of it, but also not quite bad enough to replace and I end up in limbo.

EDIT: Honestly, this makes it seem like I want you guys to predict the future and that's not the intention or what this thread is about, so let me rephrase.

Do you guys think the Coffee lake i5k will be able to suit my needs of being able to play Blizz games and capture and potentially edit some video for the next 3 years or is the safer bet to go with the Coffee lake i7k for those needs if I want to make absolutely sure I can?
    Last edited by xskarma; 2017-10-06 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Aw shucks!

I guess I'll have to skip upgrading for now..
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Aw shucks!

I guess I'll have to skip upgrading for now..
    Not sure how you weren't able to find information on that. It was speculate several months ago and has been officially know for several weeks. The reason why, the different pin layout, was announced last week. As for upgrading, there is no reason for you to upgrade to Coffee Lake unless you need a gain in some sort of production workload. Your board supports a 7700K, and there is literally no reason to upgrade from that to an 8700K for gaming. The gain over the 7700K is 0-10% at best.

So grab a 7700K while they are on sale and you'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Slicer299

Yeah, I could tell something was up once I saw that there were almost no 8600k reviews. Intel wants that extra $100, especially from early adopters.

Who would have thought that my first CPU upgrade from the legendary 2500k would be named after a drink that tastes awful and has a smell I also can't stand.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-10-06 at 09:50 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

One another question that popped up in my mind: my power supply is a 650W 80+ gold so enough for the rig; however a friend told me that it may not support the new cpu states introduced by Skylake and later so it's possible that i have to replace it.

Is this true? Because i'll have to add a new PSU to the budget then (AND IT WILL BE A UNICORN VOMIT INDUCING ONE BECAUSE REASONS).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    One another question that popped up in my mind: my power supply is a 650W 80+ gold so enough for the rig; however a friend told me that it may not support the new cpu states introduced by Skylake and later so it's possible that i have to replace it.

Is this true? Because i'll have to add a new PSU to the budget then (AND IT WILL BE A UNICORN VOMIT INDUCING ONE BECAUSE REASONS).
    Not really no, mostly means power saving features may not work.

Though even if ancient... who cares really to save 5W here and there.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Intel Core i5 4670K and a Gigabyte Z87X mobo. Noctua cooler. MSI 1060 that I have no intention to replace right now, bought a good PSU at that same time as well (about a year ago). Play pretty much exclusively Blizz games.

EDIT: Honestly, this makes it seem like I want you guys to predict the future and that's not the intention or what this thread is about, so let me rephrase.

Do you guys think the Coffee lake i5k will be able to suit my needs of being able to play Blizz games and capture and potentially edit some video for the next 3 years or is the safer bet to go with the Coffee lake i7k for those needs if I want to make absolutely sure I can?
    Coffeelake, from what I have seen in vids and read so far is basically (there is more to it obviously) but basically KL on steroids with more cores and clocks.

As far as it lasting 4-6 years, history has shown us PCs will. I think if you are going to spend, never settle. Get the i7 hands down and never look back.

As far as your choices in boards, I would stay away from Gigabyte on expensive systems. I used them exclusively for a very long time and then I started having issues with every board I bought (yes I buy quite a few) just stupid little issues but real annoyances. My last one was a Z97X UD5H.

Been using Asus and MSI ever since and have had no issues. This will vary on user, obviously.

For your needs, I would feel comfortable grabbing a decent Mobo and a i7 8700k and have no regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Day 47:

Amazon still hasn't even opened pre orders for the 8700k like they have for the 8600k.

Newegg is likely out of stock until near the end of the month.

Microcenter lied about stock to some and not others.

Lol Best Buy.

Boutique building websites have 3-20 day processing and rush delivery and processing isn't possible.

What a launch.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, I also thought coffee in general was pretty trash until I looked at different brands.
    Amazon is not taking preorders, their taking backorders. Preorders are only for unreleased products, both chips did launch but quickly sold out. The reason Amazon is taking backorders for the 8600K, but not the 8700K, comes down to Amazon being notified of resupply. The fact that they have backorders up for the 8600K means they've been notified by Intel of when they will receive more, and how many units they'll receive. That obviously hasn't happened with the 8700K. I worked in retail for a over a decade, I know how this stuff works.

Every retailer is going to have a backorder of several weeks. Sweclockers reported a couple days before launch that retail supply would be limited. In the end this won't do anything to hurt Intel if they can get their supply straightened out by the end of the year. Neither Intel or AMD has anything else coming out in the next 6 months, at a minimum, so anyone who was going to buy a Coffee Lake chip will still do so. Well, nearly everyone, delays like this aren't enough to make 99/100 people jump platforms. People willing to ditch Intel for AMD have done so for the most part.

In the end they are still getting us these chips half a year then they originally planned, supply issues were inevitable. To be clear I'm not saying all that makes this OK, it was still a bad move on Intel's part. I'm just pragmatic enough to know it ultimately won't hurt Intel in terms of market share or $.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    @Slicer299
    Yeah, I could tell something was up once I saw that there were almost no 8600k reviews. Intel wants that extra $100, especially from early adopters.

Who would have thought that my first CPU upgrade from the legendary 2500k would be named after a drink that tastes awful and has a smell I also can't stand.
    To be clear that's just my speculation, but it's the only thing that makes sense really. And I too don't like coffee, maybe a little with my cream and sugar, but that's about it. I'm upgrading from Sandybridge too, from my 2600K.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Not really no, mostly means power saving features may not work.

Though even if ancient... who cares really to save 5W here and there.
    Quantify ancient. I bought it at the end of 2009, but i must say i have had literally zero issues with it. May be that it' would be safer to replace it just for reliability. Also i think i never ran any power saving profile

Ideal shopping list:
    Asus ROG Strix Z370F
    i5-8600k
    Trident g.skill 16gb @3200 (or 3600)
    eventually PSU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quantify ancient. I bought it at the end of 2009, but i must say i have had literally zero issues with it. May be that it' would be safer to replace it just for reliability. Also i think i never ran any power saving profile

Ideal shopping list:
    Asus ROG Strix Z370F
    i5-8600k
    Trident g.skill 16gb @3200 (or 3600)
    eventually PSU.
    From 2009, I would replace it. Your going to be doing basically a new build, no sense in having to go back in over $75.

Power supplies lose power and stability over time. Yours is 8 years old. I am curious as to which one you have though.

From 2009, I would replace it. Your going to be doing basically a new build, no sense in having to go back in over $75.

Power supplies lose power and stability over time. Yours is 8 years old. I am curious as to which one you have though.
    Well, i can provide images don't remeber the model straight off the bat

Overall, i bought a really nice machine at the time and with the i5-750 Lynnfield, 8GB of kingston ram, inno3d ichill GTX470 and a couple of WD black 500GB HDDs it never betrayed me.

Over time i changed up stuff (added two SSD and changed HDDs,, added 8GB ram, non-stock air cooler for 3.2ghz oc, new gtx 960) but main parts stayed the same and i never had a fault. I must have been lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, i can provide images don't remeber the model straight off the bat

Overall, i bought a really nice machine at the time and with the i5-750 Lynnfield, 8GB of kingston ram, inno3d ichill GTX470 and a couple of WD black 500GB HDDs it never betrayed me.

Over time i changed up stuff (added two SSD and changed HDDs,, added 8GB ram, non-stock air cooler for 3.2ghz oc, new gtx 960) but main parts stayed the same and i never had a fault. I must have been lucky.
    And its lasted until now...awesome.

There is a new PSU out from Seasonic that is getting rave reviews and it is very inexpensive for what you are getting.

There are reviews for all of the levels, I bought the 550W as my i7 system is only drawing 320W under load.

I got mine for $69, it replaced a Seasonic G-450

Seasonic Focus 550W

Wondering which high end mobo to get thats ATX :/ Most seem to be E-ATX, but the chassis i'm eyeing only support ATX or lower

And its lasted until now...awesome.

There is a new PSU out from Seasonic that is getting rave reviews and it is very inexpensive for what you are getting.

There are reviews for all of the levels, I bought the 550W as my i7 system is only drawing 320W under load.

I got mine for $69, it replaced a Seasonic G-450

Seasonic Focus 550W
    Looks a really good PSU and review's convinced me. Unfortunately here in Italy i found it priced at around 95 euros plus transport fee. Which puts it basically in line with the Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB 80PLUS Gold 650W i was looking at (100-ish euros total but amazon prime).

Well, i suppose i'll just compare the performances and settle with the best one, which it seems to be the Seasonic one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks a really good PSU and review's convinced me. Unfortunately here in Italy i found it priced at around 95 euros plus transport fee. Which puts it basically in line with the Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB 80PLUS Gold 650W i was looking at (100-ish euros total but amazon prime).

Well, i suppose i'll just compare the performances and settle with the best one, which it seems to be the Seasonic one.
    never cheap on the psu

This site will tell you who makes the oem for other brands.

The Toughpower Grand 650 is made by CWT, they have a bad rep using cheap components, but I dont know too much about the newer models. maybe someone else knows if CWT has stepped up.

I always buy PSUs made by Seasonic and Superflower. I also always look at the review on jonnyguru.com, even the top manufacturers have duds sometimes.

He does really good in depth and complete tear downs of PSUs.

never cheap on the psu

This site will tell you who makes the oem for other brands.

The Toughpower Grand 650 is made by CWT, they have a bad rep using cheap components, but I dont know too much about the newer models. maybe someone else knows if CWT has stepped up.

I always buy PSUs made by Seasonic and Superflower. I also always look at the review on jonnyguru.com, even the top manufacturers have duds sometimes.

He does really good in depth and complete tear downs of PSUs.
    Nice info. Since i don't expect to buy the parts anytime soon with the limited supply we're having, i'll check around for good ones. I'd like to have an rgb one since i plan to build a custom desk pc later on using these parts, but honestly, i don't REALLY need to have light literally everywhere.

EDIT: i found the CWT issue you mentioned, but apparently the opne i choose isn't affected. HOwever i found plenty od better suggestion so i think i'll just stay away from that

EDIT2: in fact for this specific serie Thermaltake changed the manufacturer (they're based on Sirtec OEM) and they're recommended as pretty good PSUs with a nice price and added rgb flavour. Apparently going blind but lucky this time XD
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-10-06 at 02:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice info. Since i don't expect to buy the parts anytime soon with the limited supply we're having, i'll check around for good ones. I'd like to have an rgb one since i plan to build a custom desk pc later on using these parts, but honestly, i don't REALLY need to have light literally everywhere.

EDIT: i found the CWT issue you mentioned, but apparently the opne i choose isn't affected. HOwever i found plenty od better suggestion so i think i'll just stay away from that

EDIT2: in fact for this specific serie Thermaltake changed the manufacturer (they're based on Sirtec OEM) and they're recommended as pretty good PSUs with a nice price and added rgb flavour. Apparently going blind but lucky this time XD

awesome, let us know when you build. I would be curious to see how it all turns out with some pics!

awesome, let us know when you build. I would be curious to see how it all turns out with some pics!
    Sure. It will be a temporary solution anyway - i'm going to change house hopefully during next year, so i'm going to delay the desk project until then because i'll have the actual measures of the room and choose an according furnituire (basically pc will be embedded into one of the lateral cabinets).