The Dark Tower - 2/10

Garbage! Worst Stephen King adaptation to date. Just some comic/fantasy shite. If I didn't know beforehand, I'd have never thought this was anything to do with King.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 8/10

Great fun, loved it. Country roads, take me home!
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2017-10-12 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blade Runner 2049 - 6.5/10

I had high hopes going into it for obvious reasons. The original is/will always better and that's usually the case regardless of franchise (LoTR being the only exception). The visuals and score were the only positives about the film.

Happy Death Day 6/10

Surprisingly fun and effective at playing with certain tropes. The film accomplishes a nice balance between comedy and horror elements. I say elements because the movie can only be labeled 'horror' in the barest and most liberal of terms. Advertising for the film plays up the slasher/horror elements much more so than the film actually contains. It's almost a meta-film in poractice.

Well acted and decently written. Editing is also great.

The lead actress is fantastic- probably going to have a great career in the future. She is honestly the best part of the film. Does well with comedy, physical acting (a lot of face acting here) and decently reactive in the 'horror' segments. Really good actor.

The problem I had with the film was it is rather toothless in the horror elements. The editing is cool but there is so little that is actually "scary" or suspenseful. The movie would have been much better if it went all in on the comedic elements in the context of a horror scenario.

"It:" 9/10. Much better than what I expected, and I'm not sure how it could've been improved to a 10/10, it just didn't feel quite there. What they did with the chronology was excellent, acting was great, filmography as well, good work not resorting to cheap jump scares all the time like some films. Wish the Dark Tower had been half the King adaptation that this one was.

Blade Runner 2049, a solid 9/10 from me. Breaking the curse of underwhelming sequels.

Professor Marston & the Wonder Women 8/10

Wonderfully made. Good performances and a nuanced, classy direction. I had no issue with the film aside from the relatively ho-hum cinematography and sub-plot of the Comics Code Authority/hysteria. I felt the the film tried to insert the latter and did so clumsily and without consequence.

Really well done film. I guess it lacked flair, for lack of a better term.

The Foreigner 6/10

Decent performances and well directed. But a little contrived and not necessarily cohesive by the end. The film also lacks timeliness and an actual artistic drive. This is all kinda routine and while not un-enjoyable, sort of pointless in existence. Nothing to really elevate this as either a drama or action film; yet the film tried to walk the line between both with mixed results. Textbook example of a, 'Could've been better' film in my book.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Blade Runner 2049, a solid 9/10 from me. Breaking the curse of underwhelming sequels.
    All you need is a 35 year break between movies, and then a sequel can actually work.

This was my latest in a theater as well, and I'd plop it somewhere around 8-9/10.

The Florida Project 10/10

Wonderful acting, superb direction and highly cinematic. This is Sean Baker's masterpiece without question. The film doesn't strike a wrong note- it's perfect in composition and drive. Daring, funny and humane too.

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10
    It was really well done. My only complaint is the world felt even less alive than the first, but then again maybe that was the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Being a Blade Runner is about action. You have to chase down replicants or fight them. God forbid you try to question one in a room doing the Turing test, because they'll easily kill you. In front of a video camera. In a monitored building. And get away perfectly fine.

I understand that the movie did at least try to perpetuate "ogm replicants just want to live as humans too, how bad is it to be hunted" and some romance stuff, but I found them poorly enough done that they could be considered either garbage, or to be ignored altogether.

Recommendation added to list. ArrowStormen already recommended that one so I guess it gets a bit higher priority now. (Lul.)

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just telling it like it is. I do see how in 1982 it'd be an amazing movie, but watching it today the editing (sound and scene length, beginning, end) seems really bad, and the convenience factor for things going right for the good guy is just too unbelievable. The evil German mastermind robot is bad enough to kills his maker + the guy who is nice to him, but suddenly dies as soon as he gives a monologue after saving Deckard. Like come on, I feel insulted as a viewer. I could name like 5 other parts of the movie that made me go ???
    You clearly didn't pay much attention as you were watching because you clearly missed a lot. Perhaps watch three or four more times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    All you need is a 35 year break between movies, and then a sequel can actually work.

This was my latest in a theater as well, and I'd plop it somewhere around 8-9/10.
    What about aliens....godfather 2. We already have successful sequels

Star Wars Rogue One - 7/10, and that's generous. It did a good job of setting the stage for episode III, and was pretty to look at as most SW flicks are, but some of the characters were either semi-pointless (Whitaker) or under-utilized (Riz Ahmed). Humorous nods to episode III are offset by Vader's out-of-character-ness, and the hilariously bad CGI representations of Tarkin and Leia. PSA - use actors next time. Also, with all the imperial tech, you'd think they'd have advanced past 80's era hard drives for storing plans.

I walked away generally enjoying watching it, but also happy that I didn't go see it in the theater. Not nearly as terrible as TPM, but not exactly stellar either.

10/10 for Blade Runner 2049. Found it utterly captivating from start to finish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This was almost exactly what my husband said to me as soon as the Blade Runner 2049 title card hit with BRILLIANT score. I find it hard to disagree. Audience also seemed to agree as just as at the end of Fury Road, the audience was silent for more or less the entire credits and broke into thunderous applause and cheering when the house lights came on.

2049 is better than the original in almost every regard. It was just a ridiculously accomplished film in execution.

We saw it in the Dolby theater and it is astounding how good the sound for this thing was as well. Really stuck with me.

Might be the best movie I saw this year. I'll think it about some though.
    That's retarded. Why would anyone applaud a white screen? Is that an American thing?

People applaud when the airplane lands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    That's retarded. Why would anyone applaud a white screen? Is that an American thing?
    Because they enjoyed the film. Applause is a form of communal communication; it is for the shared experience as much as for the performance.

Applause at the end of films is routine in the US when audiences have great experiences.

Hateful 8

8 out of 8

would've gotten a 9, but I was distracted by the surprisingly good sky lighting in a cabin during a blizzard.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Applause at the end of films is routine in the US when audiences have great experiences.
    Yeah audiences of a live performance with human beings on the stage, not a roll of film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah audiences of a live performance with human beings on the stage, not a roll of film.
    Americans just like to clap and leave tips, what's so wrong about that? Like this guy.

They are not clapping for the performance or the film. They are clapping for the shared experince, obviously.

They are not clapping for the performance or the film. They are clapping for the shared experince, obviously.
    "Hey guys, I know societal expectations of us are to be completely quiet and unseen as to not disturb each other, but now we should clap since we got to see a movie together! (Except for that one mother fucker with his brightness on "sun" who kept checking his phone.)"

Yeah...no...it's more like 1-3 unruly/simple people begin clapping, and the other sheep who can't think for themselves instinctively clap too.

I find it pointless. Actually I think @Howdyho used the perfect word to describe this phenomena: retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Americans just like to clap and leave tips, what's so wrong about that? Like this guy.
    ......Lol. I liked the part where TSA didn't rape him.