Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    was the app written by a professional? once again you have no claim that any of what you say is true.. unless your app was designed by some professionals ( read ppl with diplomas ) your doing guesswork at best
    Which university teaches you "professional" WoW application processing? I would much rather trust the officers who have been running guild recruitment for years and made all the mistakes and learned from them, than some empty diploma holder with no real life experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    The difference is scheduling.

I can read apps while I'm eating lunch or if I'm hanging out with friends and we aren't actively doing something (it's not hard to read and carry a conversation).

I can even do it in sneaks in class, looking at a bit of it and then tabbing back to my notes to copy those down.

I can't have a live chat with someone over the internet while eating in a cafeteria (it's also rather rude to talk to someone in what is supposed to be a pseudo-professional way when you're eating), I can't do it when hanging with friends (again, pretty rude), and I certainly can't do it in class or at work.
    Not to mention it is easier for the one applying as well; just write the app when have time and send it in, no time to manage for a meeting.

Just don't see why there is a discussion about it; don't like apps, look for another guilds, very many that don't require apps.

yes its really hard to setup an interview like say jobs do cause thats what you ppl are amounting this to a job i mean someone even made the direct comparison to a job
    You fail at reading comprehension so hard it's amazing.
    Do you often get an interview before filling out an application where you come from?

So, what guild do you handle the recruiting for? Or are you just trying to object to someone who actually does what is being discussed here despite having no involvement in it yourself because reasons?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

This is very simple. 90 % of the success of a raiding guild depends on having people actually show up for raids. If you're not willing to spend some time writing a polished application most guilds will guess that you aren't too dedicated to showing up.

I used to recruit for heroic raiding and the correlation between writing a decent application and the recruit actually having good attendance was very tight. (Of course this is also why I quit raiding as it turned out that the main challenge even at heroic level is gathering the group of people who show up to grind gear. When an average player with great attendance is a better recruit than a great player with random attendance the game just feels pointless.)

because it will take the same time to ask said question in game or over a voice chat than it will reading an app
    Not even remotely. It will obviously save the applicant time and that's about it. Might be possible if you don't have a job but in my guild there is no one without work.

some people take the game way to seriously

Because 9-24 other ppl are investing their time. If you cant be arsed to fill out an application, how can you be expected to put effort into raiding which require alot more time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    What do you learn about someone's raiding capabilities by reading a fuckload of random shit? half the shit I write are blatant lies or stuff I copypasted from theorycrafting sites.

Lies can be easily found out. And with asking for reforging etc means you at least have a general knowlagde om the game. linking stuff from theorycrafting sites means you to a degree actually read up on what is needed.

They wan't to remove the abseloute noobs from the list.

Why not fe. just invite them to an alt-flex guild-run and talk a bit on ts/vt during the raid? that will tell you fuckloads more about the person and show his/her raiding capabilities.

Flex they will do after you pass the first test which is basic knowlagde. It is waste of time bringing a guy who is a noob to a guild alt run or something like. If you pass the flex run there is a higher chance you will get into alt runs and or main runs.

Yes, I realize I could "just" make my own raiding guild out of thin air using this method, but I'm kinda cba to be a GL/RL.

Then find lower progressed guilds or less serious guilds. If you want into more serious guild suck it up and follow their rules.

Oh yeah, anyone looking for a ranged dps? ^^

Not a raid leader. But tbh don't liek your attitude so won't recommend you to the raid leaders in my guild.

EDIT: I'm also not talking about just the elite guilds, I'm talking about your average 9/14 HC raiding guilds at this point.

People that take this serious even if they are not as good as the elite guild will still require a certain amount of rules. cause they don't wanna waste time either.
    Responses in red.

If you don't like my answers. Well then maybe heroic raiding is not for you.
    BTW I was a raid leader back in the days for the kind of guild you are looking for. but we were more casual regarding the subject so we did not have all those application you had to go through but we did ask the person in personal regarding basic stuff.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

filling out a detailed application shows the level of dedication you have to join, it also gives the officers a good idea of how good your are and how well you know your class, if applying to outside of your current experience also you need to show them proof that you can bring something to their team otherwise its a waste of your time as well as theirs.

You also need to have similar raiding experience for that guild, no use in just being a flex raider and applying to a 6 plus heroic raiding guild, as heroic raiding is completely different and requires much more focus and skill than flex/normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha I hated apps. I remembered writing an application for this guild for about an hour or two, and I worked my ass on it. Proof-read that shit several times. And you know what they fucking said to me; "sorry, we aren't recruiting tanks at this time". I'm like WHAT!!! I Wrote this shit for so long, they're telling me "sorry bud, we don't need one".

Honestly, as some people said, people take this shit far too seriously. I am not kidding, sometimes just asking a player what their progress is, gear score, raiding experience, etc etc is all you need. Maybe talking to that person in chat can also do it because there were times when these guilds were going to accept me when I was a horrible player.

Applications don't mean shit, its the player that matters. This isn't a business, its a game which requires skill, common sense and a powerful computer. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mod-Note: This thread is turning more towards a war between one side and the other, I would like to remind you all to keep it civil and constructive. Just because one side does not have the preferences that another does - does not mean you should target people just because of it.

On-topic: I do not mind applications for 6/14 guilds and up. But from below the 6/14 normal border, then I do not fully expect an application to be handed in. But also remember, it is not you Vs. the application - it is your 10 minutes versus hours of raiding. A guild might sit with a team 9 or 24, waiting for the last one. If you do not wish to fill in what is needed, just to give them an overview of what to expect - then you cannot expect them to welcome you.

It is all about dedication in the end, if you just wish to join a raid team and run about - then not many will take you. 10 minutes (maybe 25 min. depending on the amount of questions) as all you need to add in.

But also towards guild, having more than 10 questions is quite overkill. You cannot expect them to fill out more than so. I have heard of applications with 40 questions, which is more than needed. All you need as a guild is to have:

Character name, class, speccs and professions (due to bonus/use of guild) and what role you wish for
    Previous raid experiences/tiers
    Armory link
    If you are able to fit their raiding plan
    Previous guild (at times some likes to hear from others)
    A contact, real ID/Skype - so on.
    Age (seems to have become more common)

And then a few lines explaining what voice comm is used and so on...
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Applications don't mean shit, its the player that matters. This isn't a business, its a game which requires skill, common sense and a powerful computer. That's it.
    They might not matter to you but if you want to play the game with someone to whom it does matter then either do it or don't join them. We asked for applications and they really did nothing other than "show us you can be bothered" and the questions reflected that. We had some people fill it out in excruciating detail but we simply didn't have space for them and then they felt that they were somehow entitled to join us... was rather funny. Obviously, they could join anyway just don't expect to raid. But that wasn't good enough. Apparently because they filled out an application they should have to raid with us, even though they got beaten to it by someone else with an equally good application.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    The main reason for raiding applications is to see if people can be bothered to put effort in, secondary is the content which people are looking for interesting answer rather than replys like this:

Q. What do you find hard about raiding?
    A. Nothing.

I will agree though, that some applications ask some pretty stupid shit. But if you don't like the app, just don't apply. No need to complain about it.

Here are some hilarious sample questions from an application to a guild that will remain unnamed:

* Please explain, very briefly, the main function of the following resources:

- Elitist Jerks
    - Wowhead
    - The Curse Client
    - Simcraft
    - The Absence section of the guild forum

* How many Noodles can you take from a Noodle cart?

* Look at the date. D = day, M = month, Y = year. Use those numbers.
    How much is 3*Y-5*D*M+4*Y*0-28?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

An application is a really great way to get to know a player. A person's logs can tell you how skilled they are, but this isn't a game purely about skill. It's also about coordinating and playing with other living, breathing human beings. A spreadsheet of numbers can't tell you if a player would be a good fit for your guild SOCIALLY.

In most guilds I've been in, if you're a douche but you have awesome logs... chances are you're not going to be invited because you would cause far more problems than your numbers are worth. You're more likely to cause drama within the guild, which could make long-standing players leave, which can divide and destroy the guild you've worked so hard to progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    That formula is a nightmare to read. Anyone remotely well versed in maths would just say "what" - you could have multiple answers for that. What a ridiculous guild, their own stupidity is highlighted in their question that attempts to find the smart ones.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Haha I hated apps. I remembered writing an application for this guild for about an hour or two, and I worked my ass on it. Proof-read that shit several times. And you know what they fucking said to me; "sorry, we aren't recruiting tanks at this time". I'm like WHAT!!! I Wrote this shit for so long, they're telling me "sorry bud, we don't need one".

Honestly, as some people said, people take this shit far too seriously. I am not kidding, sometimes just asking a player what their progress is, gear score, raiding experience, etc etc is all you need. Maybe talking to that person in chat can also do it because there were times when these guilds were going to accept me when I was a horrible player.

I am currently in a top 50 25man guild and I got in only based on my application and attitude shown in this application
    I had no prior full HC clear on current content
    I had LFR logs
    I had started pve/raiding the same expansion
    There was also an other warrior applying at the same time with a track record back to classic wow and much superior to mine

And they chose me
    So I personally disagree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Lastig View Post
    Apps are bullshit just Test them in a run much better
    How do you test people when you're getting ~6 applications a week, all with varying experience and personal requirements?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    SAY WHAT?

hmm unless my basic math fails me

3*y-5*d*m+4*y*0-28
    3y-5dm+4y*0-28
    3y-5dm-28
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    An application is a really great way to get to know a player. A person's logs can tell you how skilled they are, but this isn't a game purely about skill. It's also about coordinating and playing with other living, breathing human beings. A spreadsheet of numbers can't tell you if a player would be a good fit for your guild SOCIALLY.

In most guilds I've been in, if you're a douche but you have awesome logs... chances are you're not going to be invited because you would cause far more problems than your numbers are worth. You're more likely to cause drama within the guild, which could make long-standing players leave, which can divide and destroy the guild you've worked so hard to progress.
    Could not be said better, really. Numbers isn't all, you have to bring yourself too. And in the end, if you really wish to join the guild - then an application would not be a problem.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..