Page 50 of 146 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Are you, by any chance, refering to the Polish show/movie, that had a whopping 4m$ budget? Because if you are, then brb, gotta roll on the floor laughing for at least 30 mintues.

Ok, I'm back.

If you truly believe that any international Witcher series would ever have been made if not for the games, then you are delusional. Simple as that. Sure, books were translated into other languages, and have fans around the world, but compared to the interest that the games generated...yeah, there's simply no comparison.
    Sure but let remind of that niche fantasy series called Song of Fire and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Not sure if sarcasm or not with some of the weird things people say in this thread, but just a heads up, ASoIaF sold more books than Witcher sold GAMES, so...Yeah.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Not sure if sarcasm or not with some of the weird things people say in this thread, but just a heads up, ASoIaF sold more books than Witcher sold GAMES, so...Yeah.
    Before or after the show?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Are you, by any chance, refering to the Polish show/movie, that had a whopping 4m$ budget? Because if you are, then brb, gotta roll on the floor laughing for at least 30 mintues.

Ok, I'm back.

If you truly believe that any international Witcher series would ever have been made if not for the games, then you are delusional. Simple as that. Sure, books were translated into other languages, and have fans around the world, but compared to the interest that the games generated...yeah, there's simply no comparison.
    If you think books don’t get made into tv shows/movies without having a game first you are simply delusional.

The books had enough interest generated to get both a tv show and a movie made this is a fact. Books have been made into tv shows/movies countless times without having any popular games this is another fact. There is literally nothing to suggest that the Witcher wouldn’t make it to another try at tv even if it wouldn’t have come Within the same time frame.

"Niche"

Books had hit NYT's best seller list numerous times before HBO series. You don't do that being "niche"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The books had enough interest generated to get both a tv show and a movie made this is a fact. Books have been made into tv shows/movies countless times without having any popular games this is another fact. There is literally nothing to suggest that the Witcher wouldn’t make it to another try at tv even if it wouldn’t have come Within the same time frame.
    Considering the books never sold well (did they even sell until the game?) here in the US, and the fact that the original show was in a foreign language, what in the world makes you think the book's small success over seas would have any impact on what gets made here in hollywood? Again, GOT and the entire "A song" series was already popular enough, book wise, in the US to earn it a show. The witcher books were never EVER anywhere close to that. Not here, not in their home land, not anywhere.

Before or after the show?
    Couldn't find exact statistics sadly, but sure, it's safe to assume that shit ton of book sales were due to the popularity of the show, however, the fact that the show got picked up in the first place, and with quite a significant budget, is already a clear sign that books themselves were a huge INTERNATIONAL success in the first place, even before the show.

If you think books don’t get made into tv shows/movies without having a game first you are simply delusional.

The books had enough interest generated to get both a tv show and a movie made this is a fact. Books have been made into tv shows/movies countless times without having any popular games this is another fact. There is literally nothing to suggest that the Witcher wouldn’t made it to another try at tv even if it wouldn’t have come Within the same time frame:
    Are you intentionally overlooking the fact that Witcher was a Polish book series, that sure, was popular, IN POLAND, and got show/movie made IN POLAND, while internationally it was barely known? Only after games were released, did it get all the international hype it currently has. Really, comparing internationally known books to stuff popular in just one single country, and claiming that both got equal chances of having internationally successful shows with huge budget, is just...I don't known, it leads me to believe you're either a troll and/or not very bright and/or just lacking the most basic information about the topic, so I guess this is where I get off this train, since it's clearly pointless.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Considering the books never sold well (did they even sell until the game?) here in the US, and the fact that the original show was in a foreign language, what in the world makes you think the book's small success over seas would have any impact on what gets made here in hollywood? Again, GOT and the entire "A song" series was already popular enough, book wise, in the US to earn it a show. The witcher books were never EVER anywhere close to that. Not here, not in their home land, not anywhere.
    The endless amount of other lesser known story’s and books made into shows/movies? The fact that it only takes one person of note to pick up a story for it to make it to Hollywood? The fact that this supposedly comply unknown book series was already picked up for a game series?

There’s tons of precedent for it getting picked up at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you intentionally overlooking the fact that Witcher was a Polish book series, that sure, was popular, IN POLAND, and got show/movie made IN POLAND, while internationally it was barely known? Only after games were released, did it get all the international hype it currently has. Really, comparing internationally known books to stuff popular in just one single country, and claiming that both got equal chances of having internationally successful shows with huge budget, is just...I don't known, it leads me to believe you're either a troll and/or not very bright and/or just lacking the most basic information about the topic, so I guess this is where I get off this train, since it's clearly pointless.
    I haven’t compared it to any internationally known shows/books as I’ve yet to make any direct comparisons, I even said it wouldn’t be in the same time frame so I don’t know what your on about equal chances.

If your going to try and call some one a troll or dim/ignorant you should really know what they actually said.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    "Niche"

Books had hit NYT's best seller list numerous times before HBO series. You don't do that being "niche"
    Lets assume you did not just try to manipulate info to suit your argument but ok. Will post the explanation of this graph. From wikipedia, as you graph.

"Sales performance of A Song of Ice and Fire series in the New York Times combined print and e-book fiction bestseller list in 2011 between the airing of the Game of Thrones pilot episode and the publication of A Dance with Dragons.[128]"

Cut the shit out, now. The Witcher series doesn't "belong" to one place. It is an international best-selling IP in various media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Cut the shit out, now. The Witcher series doesn't "belong" to one place. It is an international best-selling IP in various media.
    The fact that you are trying to end the argument with your mod power is a good example of mods gone wild.

Infracted. Discussing moderation is not allowed - if you have a problem with specific moderation, take it to a global mod.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-11-01 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The endless amount of other lesser known story’s and books made into shows/movies? The fact that it only takes one person of note to pick up a story for it to make it to Hollywood? The fact that this supposedly comply unknown book series was already picked up for a game series?

There’s tons of precedent for it getting picked up at some point.
    Except it was picked by a Polish game studio. So it being picked up for a game series isn't exactly a counterargument for @BeepBoo's point about its lack of popularity in US prior to the game's release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Except it was picked by a Polish game studio. So it being picked up for a game series isn't exactly a counterargument for @BeepBoo's point about its lack of popularity in US prior to the game's release.
    it's not like it stayed a polish only game there is no reason to think it would be impossible to never leave poland.

https://redanianintelligence.com/201...ardian-armour/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Hissrich
    “The thought process was this: unlike the Cintran army, which consists of highly-trained knights and specialized soldiers under Calanthe’s royal lead, the Nilfgaardian army is one of conscription. As they march northward, the army pillages towns and forces villagers into military servitude. They are not an elite fighting force — yet. There are powerful leaders in the forefront, yes, but the army itself is more rag-tag, borne of necessity, without glamour or means. Their armor reflects that.”
    Oh. Yeah. Sure. The matching suits of RIBBED FOR HER PLEASURE plastic armor with completely impractical penis helmets totally reflects rag-tag armor of people conquered and conscripted into service.

Sorry. No. What kind of fucking moron thinks like this? Men in this position would have piece meal armor made from whatever they could get their hands on, not MATCHING HALLOWEEN COSTUME PLASTIC ARMOR FOR THE ENTIRE ARMY.

I suspect that it'll be a flop for various reasons. A lot of the costumes look pretty cheap and I don't trust the writers not to make the Nilfgaardians evil despite them being shades of grey like a lot of other organisations within the setting. That's not to say that they weren't responsible for bad things because they were, but both in the games and the books there were a number of reasonable Nilfgaardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Poor moderation on MMOchamp? Imagine my surprise
    That particular mod does that a lot. Some movies we can't even talk about in the thread about the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    I can't believe they blackwashed Yenn and Triss. PC culture ruining everything for their identity politics.
    How integral is their race to the story? Like with Magneto being Jewish during ww2, or Mary Jane Watson being a redhead?

Or is it like Khan from Star Trek being Indian (even if the actor playing him was mexican).

it's not like it stayed a polish only game there is no reason to think it would be impossible to never leave poland.
    That doesn't change the fact it's a Polish game picked up by Polish developers because they were introduced to the Witcher books because of it being all the rage in Polish fantasy when they were growing up. You do realize that the game's popularity extending Poland later on is precisely the point of the person you've argued against, right? And that it's immaterial to the point in time when it was picked up by the devs (and the reasons for that), which was your earlier argument?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    https://redanianintelligence.com/201...ardian-armour/

Oh. Yeah. Sure. The matching suits of RIBBED FOR HER PLEASURE plastic armor with completely impractical penis helmets totally reflects rag-tag armor of people conquered and conscripted into service.

Sorry. No. What kind of fucking moron thinks like this? Men in this position would have piece meal armor made from whatever they could get their hands on, not MATCHING HALLOWEEN COSTUME PLASTIC ARMOR FOR THE ENTIRE ARMY.
    Yeah, a conscription force in that period of warfare wouldn't have armor that uniform. Especially since the details of the armor - putting aside for a moment how silly they look - are somewhat too intricate for cheap garbage for conscripts. No blacksmith would bother with all those folds for mass produced armor.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2019-11-07 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    That doesn't change the fact it's a Polish game picked up by Polish developers because they were introduced to the Witcher books because of it being all the rage in Polish fantasy when they were growing up. You do realize that the game's popularity extending beyond Poland is precisely the point of the person you've argued against, right?
    The whole point is that there is no reason to think it would never leave Poland as we already have an example of it doing so and it wouldn’t be the first story to make it to a wider stage. If the people who made the game wanted to make a show for example and did a better job of it then the original show it could have easily had the same or greater effect as the games.

The whole point is that there is no reason to think it would never leave Poland as we already have an example of it doing so and it wouldn’t be the first story to make it to a wider stage. If the people who made the game wanted to make a show for example and did a better job of it then the original show it could have easily had the same or greater effect as the games.
    Who in the hell made this argument of "it would never leave Poland" that you are arguing against? The argument was that it wasn't popular in the US until after the games became popular. That is a fact.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Who in the hell made this argument of "it would never leave Poland" that you are arguing against? The argument was that it wasn't popular in the US until after the games became popular. That is a fact.
    One guy said it out right The other implied it in not so many words.

I’ve said a few times it wouldn’t be in the same time frame as it wouldn’t be as popular but it would likely still make the rounds at some point.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/showthr...3#post51803283

https://www.mmo-champion.com/showthr...7#post51803547
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-11-08 at 05:30 AM.

I'm not sure what you think is being argued here. Both of the posts you link to say exactly what I said they were: the popularity of the games lead to the series' international success. You repeatedly cited Polish made media as evidence of the series' success which was irrelevant given everyone else was talking about US/international.

The "never leaving Poland" argument was introduced by you here, not by anyone you are arguing against. You actually introduced something that conflicts with what people were saying. "It's not like it stayed a polish only game"? No shit. No one said it would, and people are pointing to the popularity of the games being the direct cause of the whole series' international popularity.
    I’ve said a few times it wouldn’t be in the same time frame as it wouldn’t be as popular but it would likely still make the rounds at some point.
    Maybe. Maybe not. This statement means nothing because we live in a world where the games were hugely successful and drove the sales of the books in the US so it was picked up by one of the largest streaming services and cast a decently known actor in the lead role (mind, that was after it was picked up by the guy who makes the god awful Scorpion King movies and was planned to be a series of movies which then sat in development hell for a few years before it was picked up by Netflix). In a world where there were no video games it may have been... Picked up by MTV where the only real known actor is an aging John Rhys Davies and its first season teeters around 1 million viewers each episode and the second season drifts between half a million or a third and then the series is canceled and everyone forgets it ever existed. And that was a series based off the works of an American fantasy novelist who is one of the best selling fantasy novelists alive today!