Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    This is the kind of shit Republicans pull in Florida

Amendment #4

So not only do you have to have a 60% majority to pass a constitutional admentment but, you have to do it twice in back to back elections. One being a Presidential election and the other on an off year.

GOOD LUCK
    Same stupid shit is being proposed in North Dakota. Meanwhile here in Illinois our Billionaire Governor is trying to change the constitution so he and his rich pals pay more in taxes, of course his rich pals and even his own family ain't no fan of this and fighting it tooth and nail with misinformation ad's so who knows if it'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    that is every single subject.
    Oh I know. But he's out to prove he's the least informed on statistics at the rate he's going

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Well you're free to make an argument. My point is that if you go to a site like FiveThirtyEight and look at a model or a simulation you shouldn't assume "this is the truth". You should look into the nitty gritty details and figure out how the numbers are derived. The fact that there are many different ways to make models and interpret data about the same event means that you're dealing with a subject that involves taste and opinion.
    We've made the arguments. You ignore or handwave them with more of this inane dribble.

As someone who has looked at the nitty gritty details and how's it derived and also understands that modeling/statistics is not the truth but a well educated guess, far better than that but the common term fits close enough, you're basically telling us water is wet in an attempt to defend you drowning a puppy. Even if you're right no one gives a shit because water being wet really isn't the issue after you drowned a puppy. Seriously to prove the equations in econometrics/statistics we use what is essentially matrix calculus to show how our estimates are the best approximation of the true population parameters and it's always framed in that way that we are calculating an estimate of the true value not obtaining the true value. The fact that models aren't literal or perfect representations of reality is as one of my teachers used to say "week one, day one, minute one, second one" type shit people learn and the entire point of the fucking area of mathematics/economics is to strive to have our estimates represent that true value more closely and more often.

And then you proceed to further your verbal diarrhea and lack of knowledge of the subject with the last sentence. There are very concrete mathematical ways that good statistics are made and it's not just taste or opinion. You're literally explaining to us that statistics is statistics in an attempt to make some idiotic side point about how because the models or estimates aren't perfect to what? Undermine the credibility of a very reputable source? And we're not buying it.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-10-29 at 12:43 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Karl Rove says Trump needs African-American turnout to be low in Pennsylvania to win.

Not sure if I should laugh at the lack of irony or cry that in these days and age there are people that still think like that.
    but someone "that did the most for african-americans since Lincoln" should want the opposite, since surely that would be a voted block happy to support them /s
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2020-10-29 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Forgot the last four years have made life such a grotesque parody that a sarc tag is always needed.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    but someone "that did the most for african-americans since Lincoln" should want the opposite, since surely that would be a voted block happy to support them
    That is probably because Black people don't actually believe the bullshit that Trump is spewing, that is just my guess though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I want Biden to win but if it is over 304 Electoral votes, more that Trump in 2016, I will be unbearable in these forums to to the Trumpkins.
    To who? The usual gang will never post again but instead create new accounts and claim they never supported Trump. We've seen this play before.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm amazed that a sarcasm tag was needed there, but it was!
    /s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    To who? The usual gang will never post again but instead create new accounts and claim they never supported Trump. We've seen this play before.
    Or just change their names....

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Or just change their names....
    Can regular users not see "Username History" when they click on the profile of a user?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Can regular users not see "Username History" when they click on the profile of a user?
    No, we can not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Nope, that's mod-only. I can confirm.

That said, it's pretty darned trivial to dump their name into an advanced search, sort by descending order by date (so the oldest posts pop up first), and then find a post someone quoted somewhere later in the thread. Name changes change their name on the post, but quotes are done by raw text, so name changes don't propagate to those old quotes. You can figure out who they used to be in about 20-30 seconds, generally.

The Republicans are getting more and more desperate with their Hunter Biden smear that now they're saying there was confidential documents that are damning to the Biden family but the documents disappeared when they were being shipped to Tucker Carlson.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-have-vanished

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    The Republicans are getting more and more desperate with their Hunter Biden smear that now they're saying there was confidential documents that are damning to the Biden family but the documents disappeared when they were being shipped to Tucker Carlson.

The dunces, it was written in invisible ink! Sheesh, they should know better than that by now.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, I was about to post on that. It's hilarious.

Sure, Carlson, you had a super secret trove of damning documents on Hunter Biden that just so happened to disappear. As Nate Silver put it, it is telling that when Trump has a huge polling deficit to overcome and the stock market dropped 940 points today, this is what Fox News is talking about.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account

The mailman ate my homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It’s sad, because a very very long time ago, Tucker Carlson was a talented journalist. He was a twat, but had talent. He’s now devolved into a two bit huckster that peddles 8chan conspiracy theories on television.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post

Sure, Carlson, you had a super secret trove of damning documents on Hunter Biden that just so happened to disappear. As Nate Silver put it, it is telling that when Trump has a huge polling deficit to overcome and the stock market dropped 940 points today, this is what Fox News is talking about.
    This is what Carlson means in Russia:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The mails are with my canadian girlfriend i swear!
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Just out of left field question here... can’t they send... or I don’t know... fax or... uh oh... email... copies?

Edit: I forgot that his viewers are so old, they don’t know what a fax machine is... and email is what Hillary calls children, before she eats them...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    The mails are with my canadian girlfriend i swear!
    You wouldn't know her, she works for another cryptofascist talk show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Just out of left field question here... can’t they send... or I don’t know... fax or... uh oh... email... copies?
    Better question is how one can send that which doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post

It's so pathetic. If these documents were real then they could have scanned them and sent them through email or faxed them, but no we're supposed to believe that their only copy of these documents were sent in the mail and stolen along the way.
    Last edited by Smitzelplix; 2020-10-29 at 02:20 AM.