i have to honestly ask if anybody actually believes that the delays only affect the patches themselves up to and including current development and do not cause a delay in 10.0

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    i have to honestly ask if anybody actually believes that the delays only affect the patches themselves up to and including current development and do not cause a delay in 10.0
    I guess that's why people believe there will be no 9.2...because ditching 9.3 buys them time for 10.0.
    The discussion in general is absolutely moot because we don't know how far 10.0 already progressed or how the schedule for SL was planned. Absolutely everything stated in this thread are assumptions which are basically fuelled by opinions. And you know that opinions are like b...holes, everybody has one.
    And no, none of you makes better assumptions/has a superior opinion than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    No no no no no. While I disagree with Nyel, are you seriously of the idea that 9.2 is going to be Light and/or Shadow shit? Are fucking serious?
    I don't think it will bebecause that would be insane, just as much as what happened in BfA.
    The point I am making here is that if BfA could get away with it then it clearly isnt impossible, even if it by rights should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    I guess that's why people believe there will be no 9.2...because ditching 9.3 buys them time for 10.0.
    The discussion in general is absolutely moot because we don't know how far 10.0 already progressed or how the schedule for SL was planned. Absolutely everything stated in this thread are assumptions which are basically fuelled by opinions. And you know that opinions are like b...holes, everybody has one.
    And no, none of you makes better assumptions/has a superior opinion than anyone else.
    We are at a point where something has to give though. We cannot have SL go to 9.3, be of high quality (that is quality zones and questlines) and also only last the usual 2 years.
    If Blizzard wants 10.0 to launch the usual Q3/Q4 date 2022 then they have to either sacrifice a full patch or make one of them smaller in scope.
    If they want the expansion to go to 9.3 (or 9.3.5) They either need to have a longer expansion (half a year to a full year longer) or skimp on patch content.
    If they want all patches to be of quality then they either need to make the expansion longer or slash a patch.

At this point it seema impoaaible that Blizzard will manage everything, and there is nothing wrong with that with all that has happened. The worst thing they could do is try to rush things.

Though then again, being optimistic it is abssolutely true that 9.1 is larger than the usual X.1 patch which rarely if ever has new areas to explore, so Blizzard could easily cut down content in 9.2 or 9.3. Though they will still have to contend with the playerbase complaining they are being lazy or what have you.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I'm totally with you.
    It's just those guys that constantly have to rub in their opinion of how SL MIGHT go as nigh fact because they definitely know better than the rest.

Yes, they only affect the patches when they just shelve 9.3. Instead of developing yet another content patch for Shadowlands they can spare several months of work for that and simply work on 10.0. Content patches don't produce any revenue, expansions do. To make Shadowlands last +6 months or longer than the usual 2 year expansion cycle means a lot of lost money. And if the Blizzard right now is about something, it's money money money.

The thing is, we don't know if they even started working on 9.3 - I guess not. Most things right before the delays happened were maybe concept arts and theories what they could do. Not much actual work was put into it, that's why not having 9.3 is way better for the situation of the game than to have 9.3 and delay an expansion launch by a considerable amount of time.

You have to figure in the long wait for 9.1 which drove away a ton of people already. And then you have to think about if people would come back to Shadowlands in 1 year just to play 9.3. What gets you more excited, yet another Shadowlands content patch mid 2022 or an expansion launch later in 2022? It's undoubtly the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

would it though??

25 months from 8.0 to 9.0 with the last end being effected by multiple delays

7 months from 9.0 to 9.1
    7 months from 9.1 to 9.2
    7 months from 9.2 to 9.3
    then you figure alpha for 10.0 about 2 months into 9.3 at best which would be early 2023 then we get at least 5 more months of testing which would end up in late july and then add on a few weeks for prepatch and you get august or september

i mean i understand that in the past the first patch was out faster but we also got like 10 months of the final patch at minimum and suggesting the late 9.1 launch means we wont get 9.3 means you believe that they suffered such delays that they have to scrap the last patch while also at the same time not being behind in 10.0 creation.

also at the launch of bfa we had as much story for what would be the 8.3 patch as we did for nagas in 7.0 and it wasnt expansded until 9.1.5
    Just remove 9.3 from the equation and everything is pointing towards an expansion launch in Q3/Q4 2022. They're even back on schedule if they don't have 9.3.

There are two possible schedules:

9.1: (late) June 21
    6 months
    9.2: December 21 (raid release January 22)
    10 months
    10.0: October / November 22

6 months
    6 months
    9.3: June 22
    10 months
    10.0: April / May 23 - this timeframe causes a major conflict as WotLK Classic will launch March-May 23. There's just no room for a retail expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    You say that about BfA, but honestly the Light v. Void storyline has been showcased just as much as the Old God stuff was in BfA. Let's not forget we have an entire half of a zone dedicated to the Light along with a dungeon boss. The expansion srot of began with Turalyon being made king regent.

If BfA could get away with ditching faction war completely halfway through and substituting a different expansions ending then why can't Shadowlands?
    I mean with BfA it was always obvious how the expansion is going to start and end. We knew about the faction war bullsh*t and we knew about N'zoth. But guys like you and me just didn't want to believe that they waste N'zoth in BfA, yet they did - but the signs for that happening were there. Uldir was the first direct sign, so was Stormsong Valley. The Azshara raid just sealed the deal. But the faction war storyline was the thing that started it all in BfA, so that somehow had to be involved.

Shadowlands is all about the Shadowlands and the Jailer. There's no major other plot going on. All of that Light vs Void stuff makes sense, but not in Shadowlands. Do you really want another expansion were the storyline is separated in half and both stories are awful? I don't want that. And how would the Jailer even fit into that? I mean we know already that he's an incredibly bland villain, but now Light / Void taking over? That would remove even more spotlight from the Jailer storyline and I think he really suffered enought already.

(I saw you answered that already)
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-05-27 at 10:28 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    6 months
    10 months
    10.0: October / November
    Please let it be this, nothing in this expansion has interested me. I want it to end as soon as possible.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It's completely out of nowhere. And Final Fantasy XIV is doing basically exactly that. This would be hilarious honestly, but in a very, very negative way, especially so shortly right around FFXIV did it.
    No more so than Pandaria was, really.

And I saw people comparing Shadowlands with Shadowbringers (no idea how accurate that is though) so it wouldn't be the first time. Though FFXIV doesn't have a monopoly on such story ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    Ditching 9.3 doesn’t buy anything for 10.0 because it’s a different team

Ditching 9.3 doesn’t buy anything for 10.0 because it’s a different team
    Has anyone ever produced tangible proof that there are actually two separate teams working on WoW or for that matter that if there was that there still would be?

All signs point to WoW being created on a conveyor belt principle, you have different teams that work independently on different aspects of the game concurrently, not different teams working on completely separate projects.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditching a patch mid-development is wasted time for sure, but there is nothing that would prevent Blizzard from cutting a patch shorter or even just ditching it at the concert art stage.

All signs point to WoW being created on a conveyor belt principle, you have different teams that work independently on different aspects of the game concurrently, not different teams working on completely separate projects.
    Pretty much this.

They have a pool of employees working for retail. Let's say they have 100 people working on retail, 50 might work on content patches and 50 work on the development of the new expansion. If there is no content patch in development those 50 people just support the ones working on the expansion.

The manpower they'd use for 9.3 is basically the same which would work on 10.0 sooner or later.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-05-27 at 12:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, Sylvi P1 arena defo brings back LK vibes.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Phase 3 takes place on the Arbiter's platform, a location that all players have been before during the leveling campaign quests! However, the skybox appears to be very different this time.

Surprise surprise, how unexpected!
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-05-27 at 08:34 PM.

Phase 3 takes place on the Arbiter's platform, a location that all players have been before during the leveling campaign quests! However, the skybox appears to be very different this time.

Surprise surprise, how unexpected!
    Wouldnt really be suprprising to anyone that knew it was an area in the raid.

On a somewhat unrelated note though, I happened ot find the first prediction post I made on this thread and I was surprisingly close so far, specifically in calling the legendary armor being the raid themed set in a Maw raid, as well as the Jailer "winning" by getting what he wants.

Now obviously I do remember thinking back then that Kel'thuzad would be the final boss of the 9.1 raid, and that Sylvanas would be saved for a later one. But I feel that is a small detail in the grand scheme.

Now all that remains is finding out how close I was with my initial prediction of 9.2 being Drust themed and the final zone and raid taking place on Azeroth.

Wouldnt really be suprprising to anyone that knew it was an area in the raid.

On a somewhat unrelated note though, I happened ot find the first prediction post I made on this thread and I was surprisingly close so far, specifically in calling the legendary armor being the raid themed set in a Maw raid, as well as the Jailer "winning" by getting what he wants.

Now obviously I do remember thinking back then that Kel'thuzad would be the final boss of the 9.1 raid, and that Sylvanas would be saved for a later one. But I feel that is a small detail in the grand scheme.

Now all that remains is finding out how close I was with my initial prediction of 9.2 being Drust themed and the final zone and raid taking place on Azeroth.
    Months ago I expected a raid in Oribos directly or at least partially with more than just one boss phase. The platform made it obvious from the start that it's a boss arena. Guess one phase of the Sylvanas fight there is better than nothing in the end.

Has anyone ever produced tangible proof that there are actually two separate teams working on WoW or for that matter that if there was that there still would be?

- - - Updated - - -

Ditching a patch mid-development is wasted time for sure, but there is nothing that would prevent Blizzard from cutting a patch shorter or even just ditching it at the concert art stage.
    It wouldn't, but the problem is that 9.3 would already be past that stage now, as would 10.0. It's simply to late to do that. What you seem to miss is that at this point, both are already in active development.

Conveyor belt fits well, but you're forgetting that when a piece moves to the next station, the previous one starts working on the next piece already. They don't just sit around and idle.

They have a pool of employees working for retail. Let's say they have 100 people working on retail, 50 might work on content patches and 50 work on the development of the new expansion. If there is no content patch in development those 50 people just support the ones working on the expansion.
    No, they can't. You cannot accelerate a project by adding more people to it, especially when it is already late. Dropping 9.3 might make 10.1 come sooner, but at this point, it's to late to shore up 10.0.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

In some interview dev once told that expansion production has many bottlenecks, so it's simple impossible to cut some patch and release expansion earlier - even with increased manpower. I can't give you source, but I heard it somewhere around Legion release. I don't know if it was said directly, but clearly at some point WoD was planned as 1 year expansion - and exactly then they decided to cut 6.3 and Farahlon or Shattrah raid.

Now let's think about if this apply to current situation. Key question is that: if people working currently on 10.0 were affected by same thing that caused 9.1 delay or not?

If yes, whole expansion is delayed, so extra patch gives them extra 5-6-7 months - and they can take resources from 9.3, barebones things that must happen in major patch are right now are raid, new M+ affix and some intro questline, so they have always lot to strip.

If they (current 10.0 team) were/are not affected, expansion is scheduled to launch in 2022. So they will have to combine 9.2/9.3, cause at some point most devs must shift their work to Alpha/Beta.

We just don't have that key information. Also it's not black & white, maybe final decision has not yet been made.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It wouldn't, but the problem is that 9.3 would already be past that stage now, as would 10.0. It's simply to late to do that. What you seem to miss is that at this point, both are already in active development.

Conveyor belt fits well, but you're forgetting that when a piece moves to the next station, the previous one starts working on the next piece already. They don't just sit around and idle.

No, they can't. You cannot accelerate a project by adding more people to it, especially when it is already late. Dropping 9.3 might make 10.1 come sooner, but at this point, it's to late to shore up 10.0.
    I imagine 9.3 is likely in the rough world design phase at the moment where they are still figuring out rough positioning.

Not that they can stop completely on a conveyor belt, but you can decide to skip parts. For instance if you wanted to make the zone smaller to need less time spent on fine details, or move the quest and gameplay designers to skimp the details.

As for the patch that would be close to impossible to stop at this point then I would imagine that the quest designers are working on 9.1.5 at least, if not 9.2. And if I am still right on how expansion patches are designed then 9.2 is the patch that would have been the easiest to scrap for the narrative.

Regardless we will have to see how it all pans out. It's clear that something has to give given the timeframes we are working with for the patches. Whether that means 9.2 and/or 9.3 are lighter on content or whether we are looking at a longer expansion cycle is up in the air still, and hopefully we get something definite from the developers on that front.

Again, where would Blizzard fit 9.3 and 10.0 into the schedule to make it work? There's just no place for it.

They cannot delay 10.0 until early 2023. As I said, WotLK is coming out in Q1/2 2023 and that's the biggest Classic release they have available. So 10.0 has to come out either at the latest in Q4/22 or later than Q2/2023. And the latter sounds incredibly unlikely if not outright impossible.

Again, where would Blizzard fit 9.3 and 10.0 into the schedule to make it work? There's just no place for it.

They cannot delay 10.0 until early 2023. As I said, WotLK is coming out in Q1/2 2023 and that's the biggest Classic release they have available. So 10.0 has to come out either at the latest in Q4/22 or later than Q2/2023. And the latter sounds incredibly unlikely if not outright impossible.
    i already showed a way it can work
    you simply have the patches last about 7 months each
    also the argument that patches generate no revenue is wrong because the patches get more subs and more token sales for the new crafted gear

the argument isnt patch OR expansion in terms of what they can produce
    its patch plus expansion OR expansion only

we also have no clue about the wrath launch schedule or anything like that beyond educated guesses based on the past which is what is being used to estimate the 9.3 launch but you argue that it wont happen

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Please let it be this, nothing in this expansion has interested me. I want it to end as soon as possible.
    Agreed. This expansion was a huge letdown for me, and the Covenants seem really cut and dried
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.