15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I was today years old, after playing FFXIV since the Beta for 2.0, when I found out you could do this.....

Thanks!
    was a recent change so don't feel too bad.

Long thread in r/ffxiv about sprouts queuing for extremes blind. I'm not sure why people not wanting to wipe in encounters repeatedly is attributed to mentors wanting easy roulettes. Especially those of us coming from WoW culture where there is low tolerance for not knowing your class or mechanics, it's highly likely any given group of sprouts also contains people who don't enjoy trial and error learning for old content.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Rightclick the dummy's health bar. You'll have an option to drop combat (clears DoTs, etc on it).
    Thank you! I was running halfway across zones trying to get out of combat. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

So when is that car mount coming? I had some holidays and was on hiatus.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    So when is that car mount coming? I had some holidays and was on hiatus.
    ugust 13, 2021: The Moonfire Faire
    August 27, 2021: The Rising
    September 13, 2021: FFXIV FFXV Collaboration Event (This is a Seasonal Event Replay)
    Mid-September 2021: FFXIV Endwalker Media Tours
    October 19, 2021: Moogle Treasure Trove
    November 19, 2021: FFXIV Endwalker Early Access Begins
    November 23, 2021: FFXIV Endwalker Official Service Begins
    November 30, 2021: All Saints’ Wake
    December 15, 2021: The Starlight Celebration
    January 1, 2022: Heavensturn

As much as I like machinist, I feel less special than I do as a dragoon in an RP sense. Shooting things with guns just doesn't have the same impact as being masterful with a lance. I don't know what I'm going to do if I love dancer. How do you feel badass as a dancer? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Because that's literally all there is to the issue.
    What I'm saying is it's not specific to mentors. Plenty of players simply want to clear the content, not deal with wipes because someone decided it'd be fun to not know mechanics. I think this is especially egregious in the MSQ where you are prevented from progressing in the story until you clear a group objective. It's my #1 gripe with FFXIV.

This seems like it's going to be a culture clash between WoW and FFXIV players too. I did find it amusing that a healer said the Titan fight taught them to consult guides as they were knocked off the platform early and had to watch the rest of the party struggle and wipe because of it. Going in blind might be fine for DPS, but I firmly believe if someone's going to tank or heal they should know what to expect from the encounters as the rest of the group is depending on them.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the worst thing about the whole "WoW exodus" is the fact that it brought lots of WoW players.

I played WoW for nearly 16 years and got over the community as much as the game itself. Now it feels like lately that I'm getting grouped with People with the WoW Mentality more and more in Roulettes.

Ugh.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    This seems like it's going to be a culture clash between WoW and FFXIV players too. I did find it amusing that a healer said the Titan fight taught them to consult guides as they were knocked off the platform early and had to watch the rest of the party struggle and wipe because of it. Going in blind might be fine for DPS, but I firmly believe if someone's going to tank or heal they should know what to expect from the encounters as the rest of the group is depending on them.
    Seems like a weird expectation for first-timers to look up every single dungeon and trial ahead of time. I sure don't, I save that for EX/Savage, granted it helps that I'm there day 1 usually so we're all in the same boat, but I wouldn't force someone to read up on it all/watch videos of it all just because they're 3 months late to the party.

Also, weird that Titan's knockback is the one that made them look up guides. In order to be knocked off the platform you have to stand there, see Titan do a wind-up and a gigantic line AoE going through you and go "eh whatever, i'm staying here". It's not even "you gotta know the knockback mechanic", it's "don't stand in the ultra-telegraphed thing that's clearly gonna kill you"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, come on. Is this really going to be what people say from now on whenever anything goes wrong? "It's those darn WoW people ruining the neighborhood!"

We've had shit people ever since 1.0, so can we not pretend that it's always sunshine and rainbows 24/7 here?
    When I can straight up notice the massive difference in quality of players, yeah I can easily say its a lot of the new influx to have to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    When I can straight up notice the massive difference in quality of players, yeah I can easily say its a lot of the new influx to have to do with it.
    Are you referring to their gaming skill or their social behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    In order to be knocked off the platform you have to stand there, see Titan do a wind-up and a gigantic line AoE going through you and go "eh whatever, i'm staying here".
    I've looked up a guide for everything. I don't remember the last time I did any dungeon blind. Wrath maybe? I don't enjoy not knowing what I'm getting into and I also don't want to be that person who effed it up for the rest of the party. My goal is to get through the content and move on, not have a progression experience every time. The rest of FFXIV is so good, it's a shame that they make group content mandatory especially as canonically the WoL appears to solo most of it.

I have had the worst luck with Titan, I dread getting that encounter in leveling roulette. Last run the healer stood on the edge of the platform during his jump, got knocked off, then said "don't stand on the edges, y'all". I didn't say anything, I never do, but any one of the rest of us could've told her that if she'd just said it was her first time. It's always the healer too, I'm starting to lose count of how many times it's happened. The amount of times I've one-shot Titan would be the shorter list by a fair margin, which is frustrating as normal is an easy fight mechanically.

Doesn't matter if the sprouts are there blind or not, the mentors just don't want to be there because it might be tougher than getting your tomes out of a Sastasha run.
    I thought it was to get the mentor mount? It's nice, but not that nice. Do you have to have unlocked all the side content as a mentor in order to do mentor roulette? It occurred to me they could just not unlock anything, which would greatly reduce being placed in trials they don't want to do (in theory).
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-08-23 at 01:04 PM.

I have had the worst luck with Titan, I dread getting that encounter in leveling roulette. Last run the healer stood on the edge of the platform during his jump, got knocked off, then said "don't stand on the edges, y'all". I didn't say anything, I never do, but any one of the rest of us could've told her that if she'd just said it was her first time. It's always the healer too, I'm starting to lose count of how many times it's happened. The amount of times I've one-shot Titan would be the shorter list by a fair margin, which is frustrating as normal is an easy fight mechanically.
    Maybe people also stop at some point just telling that they're new, as it gets ignored most of the time anyway, according to my experience. Last example was in the last trial I did (Steps of Faith). Wrote I was new while I was still in the opening sequence. None wrote anything back and it was just pulled. Just judging by the HP of the people there, it seemed only one DD was also new to it. So 6 other players knew the boss, and not one decided to write a few words, while they were waiting anyway for my cutscene to be finished.
    And, furthermore, this also seems to be more of an awareness issue of these players, than one with watching guides. Even on Titan, which isn't as intuitive as other marks on the ground, one could see how the other players react (which know the boss) and copy that behaviour. There's easily enough time.

I started watching guides sometimes around the lvl 40 instances, as the mechanics started to get a bit more complex and impactful. However, after Praetorium and spoilering myself the entire end of the ARR 2.0 storyline by watching that guide, I completely stopped with it. I can fully understand anyone who does not want to do the same - spoiler the story in a story-focused game by watching guides shortly before actually playing through it.

Yeah, you need to unlock and clear pretty much alllll the content in order to get mentor roulette.

Of course the intent is to get experienced players in content that other players are having trouble filling slots for. How most mentors see it is an easy source of tomes and achievements, hence why they badger sprouts about not queuing for harder content lest they "drag a mentor" into it.
    I've seen this discussion quite a few times in the noobie-channel on our server / data center. It's mostly mentors arguing with other mentors about it.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-08-23 at 02:00 PM.

As much as I like machinist, I feel less special than I do as a dragoon in an RP sense. Shooting things with guns just doesn't have the same impact as being masterful with a lance. I don't know what I'm going to do if I love dancer. How do you feel badass as a dancer? :P
    I'm having a similar issue.

I have been having this fixation on archers/ bow wielding crack shots lately so started a new character as an archer and have been loving the gear sets and old school longbows in the ~30-42 level range.

Machinist was more fun to me when I played it before, but it doesn't feel as good.

Dancer was my main in Shadowbringers, it played quite well and was really fun, but I never did feel like a bad ass, lol.

What I'm saying is it's not specific to mentors. Plenty of players simply want to clear the content, not deal with wipes because someone decided it'd be fun to not know mechanics. I think this is especially egregious in the MSQ where you are prevented from progressing in the story until you clear a group objective. It's my #1 gripe with FFXIV.

I agree for the most part.

The only caveat being whatever the party finder says the group is for...that's what it's for. "Learning party" is just that, learning the fight. A "clear party" is intended for people who know the fight. Duty Finder random queues, I can't get too upset here because it IS just randoms, you're going to get mixed with all KINDS of people. Just the other day I was in a Sunken Temple of Qarn (Normal) with a truly newb healer and a tank that hadn't done it in forever. We wiped 4 times on the first boss because of the Doom mechanic and the healer getting tunnel vision to heal rather than do the mechanic, twice on the second boss because the healer wasn't paying attention to AoEs and keeping up with heals and almost wiped on the final boss because of the adds and all their beams criss crossing the arena and the healer and other DPS died as a result...simply not capable of doing mechanics while also doing their jobs.

MSQ is the same.

Sure, the expectation is that you just want to get in and get out quick, but that to me is an unreasonable expectation for that because you KNOW you're sometimes going to be grouped with people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Also, weird that Titan's knockback is the one that made them look up guides. In order to be knocked off the platform you have to stand there, see Titan do a wind-up and a gigantic line AoE going through you and go "eh whatever, i'm staying here". It's not even "you gotta know the knockback mechanic", it's "don't stand in the ultra-telegraphed thing that's clearly gonna kill you"
    Depending on how the group is lined up and where you're standing, it's entirely possible to be smack in the middle of 3 of those things with no real way to get out of it. Especially if you don't know what it does, they may have thought it was just another attack and decided to get that heal on the tank after the tank buster and thought they'd just heal through the damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Doesn't mean they're ALL WoW players. There has been a huge influx of players caused by content creators, new hype for the new expansion, etc...

To claim they're ALL WoW players is a bit ridiculous because as Bovinity was saying, we've had shit players since 1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    Maybe people also stop at some point just telling that they're new, as it gets ignored most of the time anyway, according to my experience.
    I've noticed people don't speak up if there's nothing that someone can do to ruin it for everyone. I've only done Steps of Faith twice, but near as I could tell as long as there were people on canons there wasn't much else to do but beat on the boss and adds.

However, after Praetorium and spoilering myself the entire end of the ARR storyline by watching that guide, I completely stopped with it.
    Ouch, you didn't even need a guide for that one either except for Ultima. I feel bad for new players in Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium, they're popular for MSQ roulette but no one ever tells sprouts the entire dungeon is basically just running through everything or that 30-45 minutes of it is cutscenes.

Crystal Tower is also a chaotic nightmare. It's one I recommend not watching guides for because it's confusing AF, 90% of the mechanics are ignored, and usually at least one person gives a quick summary on fights where they matter. There is an updated guide I could recommend if you want one that goes over the raids with a modern lens, but the place is just a mess. I'm glad I knew about the raid wipe abilities, everything else I learned was useless. It's just 24 people crashing into things.

I recommend MTQcapture for guides. She's been careful about spoilers for all the ones I've watched. I don't recall HW having much in the way of spoilers in their dungeons anyway, typically you knew what your objective was.

I've looked up a guide for everything. I don't remember the last time I did any dungeon blind. Wrath maybe? I don't enjoy not knowing what I'm getting into and I also don't want to be that person who effed it up for the rest of the party. My goal is to get through the content and move on, not have a progression experience every time. The rest of FFXIV is so good, it's a shame that they make group content mandatory especially as canonically the WoL appears to solo most of it.

Never assume everyone knows the fight. I ALWAYS ask, so as to avoid stuff like this.

The most egregious fight in the whole game though is the Crysalis, IMO.

I thought it was to get the mentor mount? It's nice, but not that nice. Do you have to have unlocked all the side content as a mentor in order to do mentor roulette? It occurred to me they could just not unlock anything, which would greatly reduce being placed in trials they don't want to do (in theory).
    In order to have Mentor roulette unlocked you have to have Mentor status and have unlocked EVERYTHING that's included in the roulette. It's a pretty daunting task, honestly and after doing it once right after Mentor status was a thing, I stopped going for it because Mentor roulette is horrible. Expectations on both sides of the equation are awful. And I can only take so much coaching newbs before I want to rage quit because in my experience, some players will never be serviceable no matter the amount of coaching, some are entitled fuckwads who can't take being told they're doing something wrong, some outright ignore you, and some have clearly not been paying attention at all to anything said or told to them in-game via tooltips, tutorials or the Smithy and I seriously don't want to waste my time teaching you basic shit like what tank stance is and why it should always be turned on in a dungeon....it's not a cooldown, it's not part of your rotation, STOP TURNING IT OFF...I shouldn't be tanking everything as a Bard just because I used AoE once and you don't have tank stance turned on.

TL: DR - Mentor roulette is thankless, irritating babysitting and not even close to worth the effort.

STOP TURNING IT OFF...
    Tank stance is automatically turned off whenever your level syncs or something, it's annoying as hell.

Duty Finder random queues, I can't get too upset here because it IS just randoms, you're going to get mixed with all KINDS of people.

Sure, the expectation is that you just want to get in and get out quick, but that to me is an unreasonable expectation for that because you KNOW you're sometimes going to be grouped with people who don't.
    There's no way to match people who enjoy the "puzzle" of figuring out fights by going into them blind with people who came prepared because they want to make earnest efforts to succeed and not have toxicity, they're polar opposite playstyles. Frankly, on this one, I believe those who enjoy blind encounters should make their own groups in party finder because they're actively detrimental to everyone else who doesn't share their sense of fun while the opposite isn't impeding anyone's progress. It's not a guide thing either, simply saying, "I'm new, let me know if there are any mechanics I should be mindful of" would be fantastic.

The most egregious fight in the whole game though is the Crysalis, IMO.
    This is where guides are helpful. I knew from the jump (DRG pun :P) to 1) pop cds before being sucked into the portal and 2) LB3 on the rift as soon as I saw it. That fight on my DRG went well, on my summoner not so much because nobody did any of that and one of the tanks told the group that everyone needed to stand under the meteors. *sigh*

TL: DR - Mentor roulette is thankless, irritating babysitting and not even close to worth the effort.
    Yeah, there's no way in Hell I'd ever do it, I don't have the temperament for it. I'm endlessly thankful that most of the vanity items in FFXIV I don't find appealing. Aside from the DRK coeurl mount, I haven't seen much I want that's outside the scope of what I'd find enjoyable doing.
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-08-23 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Tank stance is automatically turned off whenever your level syncs or something, it's annoying as hell.
    Oh no, I meant they were constantly turning it on, then off, then on, then off throughout the instance. This wasn't an "oops" caused by syncing. It was intentional. Even after constant reminders, they still did it.

Oh no, I meant they were constantly turning it on, then off, then on, then off throughout the instance. This wasn't an "oops" caused by syncing. It was intentional. Even after constant reminders, they still did it.
    I once had a tank who didn't turn it on despite the healer bitching about it for half the dungeon before leaving, the new healer just rolled with it (it was copperbell mines) he then turned it on in the last half part of the last boss lol, i guess it's something.

There's no way to match people who enjoy the "puzzle" of figuring out fights by going into them blind with people who came prepared because they want to make earnest efforts to succeed and not have toxicity, they're polar opposite playstyles. Frankly, on this one, I believe those who enjoy blind encounters should make their own groups in party finder because they're actively detrimental to everyone else who doesn't share their sense of fun while the opposite isn't impeding anyone's progress. It's not a guide thing either, simply saying, "I'm new, let me know if there are any mechanics I should be mindful of" would be fantastic.
    This is why I encourage people to speak up, or just give quick run downs of the BASICS regardless, assuming someone is new or doesn't know/ remember the fight. The issue I have is with people who simply don't understand their jobs or the basic mechanics of a fight. I shouldn't have to tell you not to stand in AoE, to heal the group after raid wide AoE, to keep tank stance turned on (again, not the oops I synced and it turned off thing, intentionally turning it off after having it turned on at least once) or to use your basic toolkit. Like...BASICS you should know if you've paid attention at all and know how to read.

This is where guides are helpful. I knew from the jump (DRG pun :P) to 1) pop cds before being sucked into the portal and 2) LB3 on the rift as soon as I saw it. That fight on my DRG went well, on my summoner not so much because nobody did any of that and one of the tanks told the group that everyone needed to stand under the meteors. *sigh*
    Agreed. But again, on fights like this where it can turn into an aggravating wipe if people don't know the fight, I just assume people don't know it and give tips and a rundown of the fight anyway. I don't wait.