It's also weird in a zone with multiple questlines involving gnolls doing completely monstrous things

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    I think that would make for a funny and interesting questline.

- - - Updated - - -

That whole thread reeks of oversensitivity. Sure, it's a little stupid and myopic, and the joke doesn't land exceptionally well, but the language used is almost as though this were some kind of legitimate issue of morality and not a side-questline in a video game. Semantic choices like "the humor is not worth the implications" and some of the superfluously emotional responses demonstrated in the comments in that thread make me feel like people really ought to calm down and save their outrage for something that needs it.
    I think what rubs me the wrong way with that one is that there isnta punchline to the joke. It's just kinda mean spirited in a way that doesnt feel intended. The way the questline is presented makes it look like a joke questline, but there isnt actually anything overtly funny when you get to the end.
    I guess it's making fun of the repeated questlines where we kill a handful of enemies to set an example, and then kill their leader to disperse them, but the questline doesnt really pull it off.

Again, making peace with the gnolls, or better yet becoming their leader and asking the mage to leave would have been jokes. Just pointing at a trope not really as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's also weird in a zone with multiple questlines involving gnolls doing completely monstrous things
    It's in a weird limbo between serious questlines, like the Kalecgos ones where we investigate the Brackenhide. And joke ones, like when we find some researchers who investigate magic crystals that turn out to be regular rock salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Anywho. On more speculative matters. Where do people reckon the 10.1 raid will end up being? Seems we have quite a few good contenders. The unexplored bits of Tyr's temple. The Bronze Dragonflight door. Etc.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Also people keep talking about playable Gnolls when we have friendly furbolgs. And I would actually play a furbolg not just roll one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    https://twitter.com/Portergauge/stat...83307283689472

I really hate that people have power over stuff like this because they whine.

Writers can't have creative freedom because someone got offended. Fucking narcissistic jerks.
    Oh, it's Portergauge whining again about someone being bad or evil, what's the news? This guy is just obnoxious with his tweets.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Also people keep talking about playable Gnolls when we have friendly furbolgs. And I would actually play a furbolg not just roll one.
    I started a furbolg quest and to my surprise and horror it was fully voiced but only had knock off wookie Noises, I abandoned the quest and now hood they never become playable.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    https://twitter.com/Portergauge/stat...83307283689472

I really hate that people have power over stuff like this because they whine.

Writers can't have creative freedom because someone got offended. Fucking narcissistic jerks.
    The original quest was satirical; the rewrites are also satire, though it's more obviously satire now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Weird how much Sundered Flame they added in one zone. Should have spread them around so they felt like a growing threat. Also weird how they went from a Dracthyr weyrn to having the full variety of dragonkin.
    In the dracthyr starting scenario you and the other dracthyr leaders save a largish group of drakonid in the area, cementing their loyalty in the process. It seems some of these drakonid sided with the Sundered Flame after the events of the intro scenario and journeyed with them to other Dragon Isles zones.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I think what rubs me the wrong way with that one is that there isnta punchline to the joke. It's just kinda mean spirited in a way that doesnt feel intended. The way the questline is presented makes it look like a joke questline, but there isnt actually anything overtly funny when you get to the end.
    I guess it's making fun of the repeated questlines where we kill a handful of enemies to set an example, and then kill their leader to disperse them, but the questline doesnt really pull it off.
    That much is perfectly fair—my point only applied to the thread that was linked. I'm not disagreeing at all—it was mean-spirited and the joke generally fell flat, with the satirical/self-deprecating bit seeming a little confused in nature. I just think it was a very awkward and jumbled delivery that made the joke kind of baffling and nonsensical, whereas it seems like some people in the original thread are taking unironic offense to it in some capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    Oh, it's Portergauge whining again about someone being bad or evil, what's the news? This guy is just obnoxious with his tweets.
    That's the source of my vexation. I don't disagree with the sentiment that it's a mean-spirited joke that falls flat in the slightest, but the way that he and the others in that thread responded seems as though they take unironic moral offense to a failed attempt at satire.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    +1
    Though honestly it's fine as is as well.
    I mean we barely know exceptions to evil amongst gnolls, it's not like the mage has no point at all.

So yeah, leaving one generic evil gnoll army versus one comically evil mage might actually be the best resolution, morally speaking.

I mean us siding sith the gnolls would be comical, but the followup to that in turn could just as easily be that we discover that the gnolls ate our allies when we weren't looking.
    Not for any particular reason, they were just hungry and gnolls.
    Yeah, as far as i'm concerned F this i'm outta here is a perfectly reasonable end for that questline. Didn't help that the guy was comically incompetent on top of evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    As Dragonflight is now live, this thread will now be closed. Feel free to participate in any of the other migrated threads now in WoW General Discussions.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead