Quote Originally Posted by Noodlesoup View Post
    I do however have some empathy for the people who did play it
    most of society dont have sympathy for thiefs though and its normal thing to condemn them for stealing from blizzard

Deleted
    They also keep touting the word 'non-profit' when in actual fact, the hosting company will be making a profit from this. Blizzard can very easily send the hosting company a cease and desist because they are allowing Blizzard IP to be run illegally on their server while also making money form it.
    Try sending a C&D to a Flemish company, with servers hosted in Russia; see what the fuck Blizzard do about it. (Hint, it's nothing).

Do you know the definition of a non-profit? It doesn't mean that they have zero net revenue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    @ Nostalrius players & WoW Vanilla enthusiasts:

Members of the Nostalrius community will re-host Nostalrius in Finland as a non-profit organization under Finnish Law.

Hosting a private server is absolutely 100% legal in Finland. Doing so is is NOT CRIMINAL and it is explicitly sanctioned in the Finnish copyright act, Sections 25j and 25k.

Furthermore, according to the Finnish law, membership in an organization is considered personal information and thus the new non-profit organization may not provide your membership information or confirm or deny the fact that you are a member to any 3rd party, such as Blizzard.

Look for more information at the Nostalrius forums.

In the unlikely event that Nostalrius will ever face any issue while being hosted in Finland in the future, the volunteers will just move the server to the Russian Federation, where it will be outside the reach of the USA or the EU, exactly like the Russian Private Vanilla Wow Server "Valkyrie".
    Great news. Even though I took a long break from Nost I'll get back when its up again and play like mad just because Fuck You $Lizzad

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    I just made a post regarding some of the reasons why I think Blizzard should host Vanilla servers. Feel free to check it out.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742936944
    Please for the love of god stop with these posts. Blizzard isn't going to make a legacy server option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    Not gonna happen you sad pathetic Bli$$ard fanboy. But hey, you can always jerk off to the announcement of Nost shutting down. /spit
    Too bad this isn't hltv otherwise I'd have an appropriate comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    most of society dont have sympathy for thiefs though and its normal thing to condemn them for stealing from blizzard
    Stating the people playing there are actually thieves and therefor deserve punishment is about as ridiculous as people being genuinely entertained by Blizzard shutting down their servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Great news. Even though I took a long break from Nost I'll get back when its up again and play like mad just because Fuck You $Lizzad
    So you are going to play a Blizzard game just so you could say "Fuck you Blizzard"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the livestreamers for it getting shut down. They wouldn't shut up about it. Especially sodapoppin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    By your logic, the new book should be the old book + 20% new text.

And ofcourse he would not want people to read the old books, because he wants to sell the new books.

Also the old books had some inconsistencies and typos that were fixed in the new book
    In the new edition they time travel, take a bunch of shortcuts and many of the best chapters have been cut out, and your favourite character dies while the one you hate is the one who keeps coming back. Chapters that were previously 20 pages long have now been edited so that they can fit 5 chapters into one. And your old book is sold with a self destruct mechanism that will make the book explode after 2 years, forcing you to buy the new one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Please for the love of god stop with these posts. Blizzard isn't going to make a legacy server option.
    They will one day.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Then go to court over it.

Where is the hypocrisy in stating gtfo we don't want to in a typical corporate fashion ?
    Blizzard said they don't have the old date anymore, and they can't keep up the servers running if they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Try sending a C&D to a Flemish company, with servers hosted in Russia; see what the fuck Blizzard do about it. (Hint, it's nothing).

Do you know the definition of a non-profit? It doesn't mean that they have zero net revenue.
    A nonprofit organization (NPO, also known as a non-business entity[1]) is an organization whose purposes are other than making a profit.[2] A nonprofit organization is often dedicated to furthering a particular social cause or advocating for a particular point of view. In economic terms, a nonprofit organization uses its surplus revenues to further achieve its purpose or mission, rather than distributing its surplus income to the organization's shareholders (or equivalents) as profit or dividends. This is known as the distribution constraint.[3] The decision to adopt a nonprofit legal structure is one that will often have taxation implications, particularly where the nonprofit seeks income tax exemption, charitable status and so on.

Will the hosting company not be making a profit in Finland then? Will it not be taking the money it makes and giving it to their shareholders or whatever as profit/dividends?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestozaur View Post
    That's a very good news. Lately Nostalrius was the only way I was able to enjoy WoW (and this has nothing to do with money).
    The thing is what they were doing before may have been frowned upon and put up with for a long time but now to purposely move an illegal server to get away from trouble is even worse.. And they even say that if the next one gets closed then they will move it to Russia talk about being vindictive..

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    I don't borrow the game you corporate suck-up, I purchased the game, I own it.
    Read the EULA and read the TOS/TOU. You don't own the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    So my previous question was not answered:

What constitutes an 'active player'? The claim was that the server had 150K active players. How is this measured? Over a 7 day period, over a 30 day period, over a 3 month period? Is it only logging in, or is it a certain amount of play time per day/per week/per month. This figure is being spouted as a reason why Blizzard should give vanilla servers, because they are clearly so popular, yet no real data was given on how an active player is defined. Could also just be some random number somebody read and is now repeating it as fact. Give actual data.

Also, to those saying this was non-profit, you are wrong. The hardware being rented was not being given for free, the company hosting the server was making a profit and as the server needs grow, so did their profit. With any private server, somebody somewhere is always making a profit using another company's assests, whether directly or indirectly.
    You can guess around the numbers. There are 12-15k active at any hour (both pvp and pve realms combined). Now assuming some people play for various time spans (2h - 8h etc) or days. You can multiply that 15k to at least 100k total active players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    In the new edition they time travel, take a bunch of shortcuts and many of the best chapters have been cut out, and your favourite character dies while the one you hate is the one who keeps coming back. Chapters that were previously 20 pages long have now been edited so that they can fit 5 chapters into one. And your old book is sold with a self destruct mechanism that will make the book explode after 2 years, forcing you to buy the new one.
    You say cut out, i say improved

And id rather have a book that self destructs every 2 years than a book that closes itself every 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    100% they won't if you don't say anything. I make logical arguments which stand up in the business context but that's not to say they're going to read forums (they will read Direct Mail however) I just wanted to say my piece and move on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dlhak View Post
    Blizzard said they don't have the old date anymore, and they can't keep up the servers running if they had.
    Yet a team of volunteers was able to do it, and they got so popular Blizzard needed to shut them down.

But it wouldn't be profitable for Blizzard to do it.

Sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Read the EULA and read the TOS/TOU. You don't own the game.
    I do, I have it in my hand right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    Did...did you just quote Ghandi in a thread about people illegally using Blizzard code to play for free?

Jesus Christ private server people have some kind of god complex.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Registered april 2016, five posts and your post reeks of being mad and everyone who doesn't jump to the defense of those poor disenfranchised people is pathetic. Quite believable story.
    No, you're turning the roles around. I'm not the mad one, I literally said in most of my posts that I understand blizzard and I agree it might be taking money away from them. I also said that i have no idea how the legal things work. Yeah I made an account just to answer this topic but i've been lurking this site for a very long time. But it's true that I have a petpeeve for people who just enjoy things that "hurts" (lack of a better word) others. I don't get why you would jump in to defend blizzard here when the server being there didn't effect you at all. why can't you show some empathy for people who have been playing there for over a year, made friends while being there and just loved the feeling of playing there. I don't see a reason for crusading against this server unless you're directly involved with blizz, I really don't.

Oh and just so you know, I even think the idea of opening vanilla servers isn't a good one. I imagine that after the whole bunch of vanilla is cleared people will be left bored. So yeah, even if blizz opened a vanilla server I probably wouldn't pay for it or invest much time in it.
    Last edited by mmoc690e785ada; 2016-04-07 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    The thing is what they were doing before may have been frowned upon and put up with for a long time but now to purposely move an illegal server to get away from trouble is even worse.. And they even say that if the next one gets closed then they will move it to Russia talk about being vindictive..
    It was already an illegal server, they are just moving it somewhere the Activision Blizzard can't stop it. How is moving it to Russia vindictive? It's not like it's the cold war mate