Warcraft - 8/10

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Of course, if I wasn't a fan of the universe, and just watching it as someone who only heard of Warcraft from overheard conversations, I would rate it pretty low. There were things that were never explained or expanded upon. The glowing eyes of Antonidas (or who I assume was him) as well as the elves was a bit stupid. I wasn't a fan of Khadgar's actor. The orcs were really well done, and Gul'dan was really creepy.
    Not sure why they decided to have Blackhand's dragonbones and metal hand replacement fuse into his body when he was blasted with fel magic. That just didn't make sense to me. I recognized Grom, but he had no lines, so he was wasted. They also showed Kargath at the end. And I could have swore in Rise of the Horde (I think it was), they made Orgrim Doomhammer a Blackrock orc, because they were making a big deal of him and Durotan being friends since they were of different clans, yet in the movie they are both Frostwolf?
    Still, overall good movie.

Deleted
    warcraft (3D)

i only saw the 3D viewing because it was the only one my local cinema was showing at the time, otherwise i'd never watch 2d.

im really torn on this film, i liked some parts, but really didn't like other parts. I think i made the error of trying to compare it too much to the warcraft lore that i know, which left me a bit confused at certain parts of the film, maybe i would enjoy it more if i could watch if objectively without comparing it to previously established lore. I was hoping a bit they would show more of the story of Draenor and guldan, they show Draenor at the start and it looks okay, then they keep referencing how guldan destroyed their world, too someone who is unfamiliar with the lore, this would be a bit confusing, as you assume the planet they are on in the beginning is their home world, but they also keep saying its gone and destroyed. Maybe a sequel could do more on that.

i like the special effects, the spell casting from khadgar and medivh looked really cool, and the orcs look amazing, a few times i thought the CGI looked a bit iffy, but it may be because i was watching with 3D glasses over my normal glasses.

i really did not like several of their choices for actors, mostly khadgar and medivh, i really didn't like the casting choices for those two roles. I hope they age Khadgar like the in game lore and have a different actor playing him. honestly i didn't really like any of the main humans in the film, im not sure what was wrong with them, i cant quite put my finger on it, but characters like lothar and llane were just not as i was expecting them to be.
    I wanted them to use some more music from the game, was really expecting the old stormwind theme to play when the movie first shows us stormwind, but nope

overall i'd give the movie 6/10, i enjoyed watching it but theres just a few too many things i didn't like, even if i can't quite tell why i didn't like those things, something about them still irks me.

I really hope they do more movies, even if they just decide to leave this story and do another warcraft story, i love seeing warcraft on the big screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Warcraft - 8/10

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Of course, if I wasn't a fan of the universe, and just watching it as someone who only heard of Warcraft from overheard conversations, I would rate it pretty low. There were things that were never explained or expanded upon. The glowing eyes of Antonidas (or who I assume was him) as well as the elves was a bit stupid. I wasn't a fan of Khadgar's actor. The orcs were really well done, and Gul'dan was really creepy.
    Not sure why they decided to have Blackhand's dragonbones and metal hand replacement fuse into his body when he was blasted with fel magic. That just didn't make sense to me. I recognized Grom, but he had no lines, so he was wasted. They also showed Kargath at the end. And I could have swore in Rise of the Horde (I think it was), they made Orgrim Doomhammer a Blackrock orc, because they were making a big deal of him and Durotan being friends since they were of different clans, yet in the movie they are both Frostwolf?
    Still, overall good movie.

oh i didn't see grom, i was really dissapointed when i watched it that i didn't see Grom, i did see kargath though, his white face is unmissable!

and yeah i was a bit confused as to why Ogrim was a frostwolf, i always thought he was a blackrock.

i also assumed the mage in dalaran was Atonidas, though it never says as far as i could tell, i do think the glowing eyes looked a bit silly.

guldan was great though, they made him look perfect imo, his duel with durotan is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Warcraft 6/10

Not quite what I expected, not quite what I got. I actually enjoyed the film though. It was a lot of fun seeing Warcraft on the screen.

Rarely have I felt a movie could have used about 40 more minutes of exposition and simultaneously could stand to lose about 40 minutes of exposition. The plot and dialogue are awful. It's really bad.

Like characters almost always speak each one's full name when addressing each other. And they make a lot statements meant to truncate history, "Old friend, I haven't seen you in 6 years!" / "Ah, Grimbone Grimhide Grimface, chieftain of the horde from another world! How goes the slaughter today?"

But yet the character make quips, they speak casually, they act SUPER casually and so on. It's such a dissonance between of tone, action and dialogue. Oh my god, it's terrible.

The casting is also terrible. This is the sorest spot of the film besides the dialogue. Everyone is a bit too young and the acting is often poor. I think some of the blocking is bad too.

If the script is a problem, I don't think the direction itself is all that bad. The action is peppy and there are a lot of cool scenes. Again, I feel there could be more explanation but somehow the exposition in the film is kinda misguided in a sense.

It was fun. Kids had fun.

i agree with this a lot. i dont think the actors were necessarily bad actors, these were just not the roles for them, and sa you said, the dialogue was pretty dumb in a lot of the movie. I also thought they were too young, or seemed to young, i wanted Llane and Lothar to look a bit more...warriorish, i just dont feel they captured the great warriors they were meant to be with the actors they chose, same with medivh and khadgar.

what do you mean by "blocking is bad too" im not familiar with what blocking is in regards to movies.
    the fight scenes were amazing though, that first encounter between Lothars group and the group of orcs was awesome IMO, same for the ambush at blackrock mountain

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft 7/10

Was a fun movie, I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't care for Garona and her story, it was just not clicking with me. The Elves looked off to me and the glow in the eyes was a bit awkward for the mages.

Despite popular opinion I thought king Llane was one of the better characters and would have preferred more of him.

I can't wait for a sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft: 7.5 ~ 10 I enjoyed most of it, but wished it was more than 100 minutes. The CG and voice acting were pretty well done, and discount Tom Hardy wasn't bad. The other non-CG characters weren't terrible. I'm not 100% sure where all the critical hate comes from, but whatever. Hopefully there'll be an extended edition on Blu-ray. And a sequel(s).
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Deadpool 7/10

The movie was funny with good action. I think Ryan Reynolds really gets the character (he's a Deadpool fan apparently) and he does a great job. All the actors were good, the worst was probably the villain. For such an unconventional character, the film was surprisingly linear and conventional in how it told the story and handled everything. I wish they took some more risks and made it a stranger film but as it stands, it's pretty good.

X-Men Apocalypse 4/10

Really long, filled with boring action and bad CGI. Pretty disappointing after Days of Future Past which was probably the best X-Men movie and one of the best superhero movies ever. This one just felt like it would never end and I almost got a head ache from the tedious fighting scenes. The plot was boring. I think Oscar Isaac did a good job as Apocalypse but it was a terribly written character and story.

Warcraft 3.5/10

This was less disappointing since I knew it wasn't going to be good. I had a glimmer of hope since Duncan Jones previously directed 2 really good movies. Unfortunately that talent was pretty wasted because this movie was nothing but fake looking CGI, bad acting and bad writing and some decent action. I would almost give this a 1/10 but I will bump it up because I liked seeing some Warcraft stuff on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh i didn't see grom, i was really dissapointed when i watched it that i didn't see Grom, i did see kargath though, his white face is unmissable!

and yeah i was a bit confused as to why Ogrim was a frostwolf, i always thought he was a blackrock.

i also assumed the mage in dalaran was Atonidas, though it never says as far as i could tell, i do think the glowing eyes looked a bit silly.

guldan was great though, they made him look perfect imo, his duel with durotan is great.
    Grom was standing right next to Kargath. He was also the orc in the ambush that was about to kill Lothar's son but Blackhand stopped him and did it himself. I'm not sure I recognized Kilrogg or Nerzhul.

One other thing I liked, was that most of the green orcs looked just like in the old RTS games (with the horned helmets and such).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Grom was standing right next to Kargath. He was also the orc in the ambush that was about to kill Lothar's son but Blackhand stopped him and did it himself. I'm not sure I recognized Kilrogg or Nerzhul.

One other thing I liked, was that most of the green orcs looked just like in the old RTS games (with the horned helmets and such).
    ill need to watch it again when its on dvd so i can look out for grom

the green orcs did look really good!

Warcraft: Definitely a solid 3.5 stars out of 5.

For somebody less familiar with the WC universe lore it will definitely leave them leaving the theatre with a lot of unanswered questions. Some of the dialogue is a little clunky and weird, but ultimately the amazing visual effects make up for it. The scenes involving magic are probably what carries the whole movie; although it could have done a little better to hash out the 'rules of magic' as far as the WC universe goes (since it differs slightly from other fantasy universes).

The fan service is kept relatively low-key Except for the Murlock but it's there in just the right amount.

As far as the acting goes the guy who played Lothar pretty much carried the entire movie. He was fucking Atlas.

Khadgar's actor sucked, but whoever wrote his character did a bang up job. If this character had better acting then it would have easily been a 4 star movie.

So all in all, it's no LOTR; although they definitely aimed for high fantasy with this one; it's definitely a "must see once" movie. I'll never watch it again on my own choice, but I'll be happy for the one time that I saw it.

Jebus, by some of the ratings people have given certain movies in this thread I am surprised they like any movies at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    I, Origins (2014) - 6.5/10. Starts off so well with great use of science, though religion shoved down throat often enough that it seems to detract time spent on developing story. Ends awfully with all kinds of unanswered questions and no message of any kind. It is a bog-standard 6/10 movie only given a +0.5 for the exciting premise.
    This movie.. I thought the developing story was good, I was actually drawn in. Then the one scene happened...(I wont give any spoilers, but if you have seen the movie you know EXACTLY what I am talking about)...and I almost just stopped the movie. It seemed so over the top to do to a character in that setting of a movie that it just kinda fell apart for me after that happened.

Deadpool (R)(2016) - 10/10. Mature content, hilarious in terms of some of the humor is quick witted, some is yes, potty humor, some is CoD gamer humor. Very violent which fits the concept considering he is a mercenary and basically a psychopath. It's a love story oddly enough. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who is is not into comic movies, potty humor-mildly, masturbation humor, or in a foul mood and wants to be a fussy butt that day and ruin the movie for everyone else. You, fussy butt, stay home and watch The View.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft: 6.5/10

Pretty decent, but the dialogues and most of the acting were pure shit.

Midnight Special 7/10

Pretty good movie. Had some really good tension. The story was interesting and I was engaged all the way till close to the end.

Then it kinda dropped the ball. No great explaination of it all. Who or what the kid was. Was he just a transport to get the other glowing beings back home at a certain time to open the door? Was he just a hybrid of them and humans? Is all that entirely wrong and it's something else like was he ET and just wanted to go "home". It just dropped the ball to much at the end.

Warcraft- 2/10

Horrible acting, butchered story

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft- 9/10

Great acting, lovely story.
    Oh and the CGI <3

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I was first under the impression - given the whole cult scenes - that he was some kind of angel because he started going on about a different world just above ours, having light powers, and then these religious fanatics wanted him so bad. You know, some science vs. religion movie?

Then it started aiming more towards him maybe being an alien... only to finally show that he was part human, part advanced light-being? And the final scene with his father showed he also had the powers, only not as much?

In any event, I also think his origins could have been explained more.
    I had some of those same thoughts as the movie progressed.

UGH so many questions and to never get an answer.

But still a pretty good movie to be honest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Warcraft- 2/10

Horrible acting, butchered story
    Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    Warcraft- 9/10

Oh and the CGI <3
    One of you is wrong.

Just watched Roots (2016) TV miniseries: 8/10

I think it was rather great, I hadn't seen the original miniseries from the 70's so I didn't know the story. It was entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    Warcraft- 9/10

Oh and the CGI <3

hey mr metzen how are you?

Deleted
    Warcraft 7/10

I'd rate if 10/10 if it were darker, more complex, violent and if the characters had more depth

oh and fuck that happy ending I wanted Stormwind to BURN

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Term Life - 5/10

The whole film just felt flat. The editing was poor and the actors just looked like they were there to cash in a cheque. It still had some likeable moments, but not enough to make it a good film. They really missed the mark here, with the right cast and crew this could have been a really strong adaptation. Anybody still interested in the story should just check out the graphic novel.

Finding Dory 5/10

Thought it was kinda boring and obvious. Some laughs but many of the story beats are very familiar and less than subtle.

Not bad. It's about what you expect from the trailer.

Kids were indifferent to the film. I think they were kinda bored too.