10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

In this forum, sure! Nationally, nope. Voters literally established that he was their first choice.
    Also relying to @beanman12345

Its also been established that many didn't pick him because of the ideology but because of his name recognition.

The whole point of the conversation is why some people are suddenly being chastised for supposedly not voting based on their ideology when not many do in the first place.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...abolishing all taxes would be one of the worst ideas ever, to boot. How we gonna pay for shit when we're already running $1T budget deficits under the current party of "fiscal responsibility"?
    I know, but Ghost would cheer from the mountaintops and say it was a good thing, with all of what he is cheering now. He is just ignoring the racism, and Eugenics, and whatnot. Because he gets a couple dollars in his pocket, while the CEOs and companies buy another fleet of private jets and yachts.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

Its also been established that many didn't pick him because of the ideology but because of his name recognition.

The whole point of the conversation is why some people are suddenly being chastised for supposedly not voting based on their ideology when not many do in the first place.
    Again, if you go to the poll, and don't care about either, I argue you don't care about anything. I find the concept that most people don't vote ideology in the first place absurd because than most people don't care about anything. Why the fuck should people who don't give a fuck about anything not be chastised, when they claim they do care it means they are liars.

I dunno if this has been clearly established?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-recognition/

Earlier data from 2019, but it shows that both Biden and Sanders neck-and-neck on name recognition, though a slight edge for Biden in overall first-choice support.

And these stats from more recently - https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...tic/111915566/

A majority of Democratic voters wanted to put a moderate with practical policy proposals in office over a liberal with bold ideas. This should not be a surprise, given that 58% say they are moderate or conservative. At the same time, the surveys show a slim majority (53%) of voters say they prefer a dramatic overhaul of Washington, compared with 45% who want a return to a pre-Trump era....

But even among those who support a sweeping transformation and centrist policies, 38% backed Biden.
    Yes, a majority want an overhaul of Washington, but without saying how that's not too helpful. However a larger majority leans more towards Biden's centrist lane versus the Sanders progressive wing. Which shouldn't be entirely surprising because...

A solid 61% of primary voters were older than 45 – a group that firmly supported Biden. His advantages among this group offset his weakness with younger voters. The demographic composition of Democratic voters was a barrier for Sanders. Voters under 30 were a key component of Sanders’ coalition but made up just 15% of the electorate. The pattern is similar among self-described liberals and people who saw themselves as falling behind in the economy.
    As has been discussed, older voters get out and fuckin vote and younger voters don't. This pisses me off as well, because my generation is included in this and we need to get off our duff and fuckin push the party to the left more.

One key: voters making their choice in the few days before the elections, in what turned out to be a reflection of the momentum coming out of South Carolina. Across eight of the states with presidential primaries that day, 37% of voters said they made up their minds in the last few days. About half of them went to Biden.
    Another complicating factor that can't be pegged to name recognition alone: There was no clear, strong frontrunner really. There was a lot of trading between Biden, Sanders, and even Warren for the lead. I don't think Buttigieg or others ever nabbed it even briefly, but it very much speaks to people being torn on choices for a variety of reasons.

So I don't really buy that name recognition won it for him. Especially not after it's largely been the Sanders show for the past 4 years and I'd be willing to place money that Sanders and Biden still have nearly equal levels of name recognition today as they did back in the 538 poll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Again, if you go to the poll, and don't care about either, I argue you don't care about anything. I find the concept that most people don't vote ideology in the first place absurd because than most people don't care about anything. Why the fuck should people who don't give a fuck about anything not be chastised, when they claim they do care it means they are liars.
    So you're going after Biden voter's who picked from dumb reasons?

Why are we talking about a retired politician podcast advertising in an election thread? Who cares.
    Y'all wanna stop letting this guy derail? The whole point of an ignore list is not to have to see garbage strewn across the thread.

So you're going after Biden voter's who picked from dumb reasons?
    I'm not going after Biden voters, I'm going after concern troll liars who aren't voting for the presidential election at all, while you defend them for reasons i honestly have no clue why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Y'all wanna stop letting this guy derail? The whole point of an ignore list is not to have to see garbage strewn across the thread.
    Apparently you didn't do a good job at following the conversation. We were talking about the pros and cons of having a debate on a podcast opposed to a traditional MSM televised broadcast. One good point was brought about the influence ads have on the host of the debate - naturally leading to the breakdown of ads on podcasts.

Why does any of this matter? Because podcasts can and will continue to provide another place for candidates to reach voters. For no shit people are going to discuss the merits of the platform in terms of an election. ESPECIALLY WHEN ONE OF THE CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT BROUGHT IT UP AND THIS IS WHERE WE DISCUSS ALL THINGS RELATED TO THE ELECTION.

If you aren helping then just move out of the way.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-09-14 at 11:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you defend them for reasons i honestly have no clue why.
    Call it what you want but dishonest doesn't look cute whether it's in a red dress or a blue one.

Call it what you want but dishonest doesn't look cute whether it's in a red dress or a blue one.
    You carry water for whoever you want, idgaf. He gets shit cause he deserves it, there are no victims here. But he's on my ignore so take it up with someone who still gives a fuck, cause I don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    You carry water for whoever you want, idgaf. He gets shit cause he deserves it, there are no victims here. But he's on my ignore so take it up with someone who still gives a fuck, cause I don't.
    We should rename this thread to, "Making A Trump Supporter".

And another on the ignore list. Should rename my ignore list to "victim complex"

10+ Year Old Account
    If you’re debating switching to supporting trump despite claiming to be a progressive to “own the fake democrats who were mean to you,” then congrats, your motivations are just as insipid as trump supporters are. And clearly not inspired by “progressiveness”

Comparing Biden to trump is pointless. On all accounts, especially “progressiveness,” Biden comes out firmly ahead of Trump.

And all the “but I’m JUST SAYING” about Biden is pointless noise as long as he’s being compared to trump. Which are the only two political comparisons that matter in this election, full stop. So criticizing Biden’s policies at this stage of the game as we gear up to the election in earnest really only seems to imply you feel trump’s are better.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Why would what anyone says other than Trump make someone a Trump supporter?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Why would what anyone says other than Trump make someone a Trump supporter?
    Honestly if anyone becomes a Trump supporter because they were 'pushed into it' by people on the internet disagreeing with them, then they weren't really too averse to supporting Trump in the first place. They just wanted a permission structure to make supporting Trump seem 'okay'.

10+ Year Old Account
    New game. Expect the opposition to hold their candidate and people accountable but do no such thing when it comes to your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So again, no one is allowed to be critical of Biden. It's clear that is what some people on here want. If you want to shit all over Trump there is already a thread for that. We don't need two of them.
    So what you’re saying is “but I’m JUST SAYING!”

See above for my feelings on that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Again you lack any nuance, and make it a polar position eliminating any of the reason why someone might say such things.

Your evidence shows the amount of anger many people felt about Bernie got screwed over by the DNC for a second time. Mine shows he has always voted liberal, yours only shows a hypothetical that he had said in the heat of the moment.

He is largely apolitical and I wouldn't put too much into what he says, but doesn't mean he can't have good conversations. If you had watched the entire episode you might have gotten a better idea about what he was actually saying.
    No need for nuance, he fucking said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Honestly if anyone becomes a Trump supporter because they were 'pushed into it' by people on the internet disagreeing with them, then they weren't really too averse to supporting Trump in the first place. They just wanted a permission structure to make supporting Trump seem 'okay'.
    Well he was the one just arguing most people who vote don't give a shit about anything. Literally have less respect for them then trumpsters themselves, at least trumpsters believe in something, even if it is all a con. So these people have no excuses.

Well at least you admit that much. I'll admit he said it with the caveat he was discussing an over arching point that is missed on such a simplistic view.

If that is a step too far for your personally so be it.
    Yes, I admit he said he's a Trump supporter. You admit he's a Trump supporter. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Man, that was easy.