10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The party of "it's just the flu" is worried about a flu being brought in.
    There are some good variations on this page, but I like this one best. I continue to see my FB feed littered with "if you were told you were 99.7% not going to get cancer but had to get chemo anyhow..." horribly mangled analogies in defense of them not wanting a vaccine or even a mask. (The partriarch of that arm of the family is also broke from medical bills after being diagnosed with cancer after dropping his health insurance when Trump told him to, so, at least we don't have to make awkward conversation at family get-togethers because they're no longer willing to travel) So yes, it's massively hypocritical to say "ban the illegal immigrants with illegal search and seizure because they're bringing in a non-threat we don't care about".

Either it's a threat and you have to take it seriously, or it isn't. Pick one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m glad they’re mandating it… and I don’t feel bad for any soldier that refuses and gets kicked out.
    And we can throw this in, too. If those "filthy brown people" are bringing this is-it-a-threat-or-not with them, surely they have it where the soldiers go, too. If you want to ban them because they're sick, don't send unvaccinated soldiers there because they'll get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    There are some good variations on this page, but I like this one best. I continue to see my FB feed littered with "if you were told you were 99.7% not going to get cancer but had to get chemo anyhow..." horribly mangled analogies in defense of them not wanting a vaccine or even a mask. (The partriarch of that arm of the family is also broke from medical bills after being diagnosed with cancer after dropping his health insurance when Trump told him to, so, at least we don't have to make awkward conversation at family get-togethers because they're no longer willing to travel) So yes, it's massively hypocritical to say "ban the illegal immigrants with illegal search and seizure because they're bringing in a non-threat we don't care about".

Either it's a threat and you have to take it seriously, or it isn't. Pick one.

- - - Updated - - -

And we can throw this in, too. If those "filthy brown people" are bringing this is-it-a-threat-or-not with them, surely they have it where the soldiers go, too. If you want to ban them because they're sick, don't send unvaccinated soldiers there because they'll get sick.
    That analogy... Just saw a guy who has stage 3 cancer, needs it removed like, now, cause it's a ticking time bomb in his neck that at any moment could start spreading, can't even start chemo or anything till it's removed, and, can't get it removed cause these idiots have filled up the hospitals and there isn't a bed for him to go to after getting the surgery. Oh pro-life party, watched a women, who just gave birth to a baby needed urgent care, yeah about that... baby airlifted out of state to get it. mom and newborn baby not even in the same state. These people are just so fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    That analogy... Just saw a guy who has stage 3 cancer, needs it removed like, now, cause it's a ticking time bomb in his neck that at any moment could start spreading, can't even start chemo or anything till it's removed, and, can't get it removed cause these idiots have filled up the hospitals and there isn't a bed for him to go to after getting the surgery. Oh pro-life party, watched a women, who just gave birth to a baby needed urgent care, yeah about that... baby airlifted out of state to get it. mom and newborn baby not even in the same state. These people are just so fucked up.
    I saw the interview with that guy too, I felt awful for him. I've had my own surgery delayed by 3 months because hospitals are filled up with these morons. It's not anything life-threatening like cancer, but it is causing me significant pain and stress and it prevents me from doing a lot of ordinary things I'd otherwise be able to do.

These morons need to get it through their thick fucking skulls that their freedumbs end when it starts fucking with other people's lives. I'm at the point where when I see an unvaccinated adult in the U.S. die from COVID, I could not give less of a fuck.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I saw the interview with that guy too, I felt awful for him. I've had my own surgery delayed by 3 months because hospitals are filled up with these morons. It's not anything life-threatening like cancer, but it is causing me significant pain and stress and it prevents me from doing a lot of ordinary things I'd otherwise be able to do.

These morons need to get it through their thick fucking skulls that their freedumbs end when it starts fucking with other people's lives. I'm at the point where when I see an unvaccinated adult in the U.S. die from COVID, I could not give less of a fuck.
    I hear ya, it's especially frustrating hearing abbott saying "hey hospital doctors, you are decent people wanting to help anyone and everyone who get's ill, so, do me a favor and please cancel elective surgeries so we have space for my guys who I'm not encouraging to get vaccinated, and doing everything I can to make sure they and their kids get sick by banning mask mandates. I don't actually care if they live or anything, I just want everyone to suffer."

- - - Updated - - -

also after 1.3 infrastructure bill passed 69-30, the vote to begin debate on the 3.5 trillion bill just passed 50-49.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ion-ban-502744

The eviction ban fight, which is now working its way through the courts, was the latest evidence of a leftward power shift among Democrats that has caused some industry groups to struggle with how to defend their members’ interests in Washington. In the case of evictions, lobbyists even had Biden’s word that the ban was done, only to have the president abruptly backtrack.
    If true... this just makes Biden out to be even more of the usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ion-ban-502744

Why are we upset that Biden isn't siding with the housing lobbyists over the citizens of his country?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I think it's rather encouraging that progressives have enough political power to override powerful lobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Why are we upset that Biden isn't siding with the housing lobbyists over the citizens of his country?
    Siding against housing lobby... good.

Publicly claiming there's nothing we can do without congress while promising the housing lobby they weren't going to extend the moratorium... bad.

Similar to how meeting with huge banks and the chambers of commerce to discuss minimum wage... is bad... that isn't the target group you'd go to when wanting to hear holistic advice on minimum wage increases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think it's rather encouraging that progressives have enough political power to override powerful lobbyist.
    Absolutely. Which is great, goes to show how just even a few progressives making noise can lead to significant changes. What if there were no loud progressives in the house? This could have played out differently.

Absolutely. Which is great, goes to show how just even a few progressives making noise can lead to significant changes. What if there were no loud progressives in the house? This could have played out differently.
    There's a reason the democratic party is doing everything in their power to kill the progressive baby in the crib.

Publicly claiming there's nothing we can do without congress while promising the housing lobby they weren't going to extend the moratorium... bad.
    I mean, he's not wrong. There essentially is nothing that he can do without Congress. Creating a new moratorium instead of extending the original is basically just throwing something at the wall and hoping it sticks, and will almost certainly be shot down by the courts as being unconstitutional for the same reason they killed the extension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I mean, he's not wrong. There essentially is nothing that he can do without Congress. Creating a new moratorium instead of extending the original is basically just throwing something at the wall and hoping it sticks, and will almost certainly be shot down by the courts as being unconstitutional for the same reason they killed the extension.
    Yeah, I don't see what the problem is here. Like, at all.

The worst I'm seeing here is that he, what, broke his promise to the housing lobby? But, do we have any proof that he actually promised them anything? Because that doesn't sound very much like a politician. And ultimately, boohoo for the poor industry lobbyists?

Nah, this is a fat nothingberder.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Yeah, I don't see what the problem is here. Like, at all.

The worst I'm seeing here is that he, what, broke his promise to the housing lobby? But, do we have any proof that he actually promised them anything? Because that doesn't sound very much like a politician. And ultimately, boohoo for the poor industry lobbyists?

Nah, this is a fat nothingberder.
    The angle isn't that he broke his promise (which is what politico seems to be highlighting with their somewhat lobby sided piece) it is that he promised them something (according to the lobby) while telling the public he couldn't do something. If there wasn't much pressure things could have played out differently.

- - - Updated - - -

The moratorium expired and there were extensions and the vote on June 29th by the Supreme Court voted with the CDC to extend it. Don't tell me you're assuming the shooting down because of Rapist kavanaugh's opinion?

The angle isn't that he broke his promise (which is what politico seems to be highlighting with their somewhat lobby sided piece) it is that he promised them something (according to the lobby) while telling the public he couldn't do something. If there wasn't much pressure things could have played out differently.
    The thing he promised them was the same thing he told the public: that he wouldn't/couldn't do it without Congress.

The moratorium expired and there were extensions and the vote on June 29th by the Supreme Court voted with the CDC to extend it. Don't tell me you're assuming the shooting down because of Rapist kavanaugh's opinion?
    Whether or not I agree with that decision is entirely beside the point; the reality is that if the Supreme Court says they can't extend it without Congress, then they're likely to also say they can't start a new one instead. Even Joe Biden was clear that he doesn't expect it to pass muster, and he did it just to buy time for Congress to (hopefully) act.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-08-10 at 11:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even Joe Biden was clear that he doesn't expect it to pass muster, and he did it just to buy time for Congress to (hopefully) act.
    Congress has already acted to help the problem: They have passed bills since December giving out almost 50 billion dollars to renters and landlords. The problem is very little of that money has reached either so far. That's why extending the eviction ban was important.

As for Congress extending the eviction ban: Not bloody likely.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Congress has already acted to help the problem: They have passed bills since December giving out almost 50 billion dollars to renters and landlords. The problem is very little of that money has reached either so far. That's why extending the eviction ban was important.

As for Congress extending the eviction ban: Not bloody likely.
    You're absolutely right, which really sucks. But that doesn't change the fact that every branch of government is very clear that any real resolution has to come from Congress, and the only thing possible move Biden could make was both legally questionable and a stopgap at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF is happening in NC?

Why is their GOP spending $200/week on mayo? Is it some kind of Confederate heritage thing? An owning the libs thing?

As hilarious as it is out of context, it's linking to this article which is about restaurants - https://www.wxii12.com/article/infla...ggles/37041592

Though I'm not sure which of Biden's policies are supposedly behind this inflation, every article I've seen complaining about "Biden's inflation" is depressingly light on the causes.

So, the Senate passed the $3.5 Trillion infrastructure plan after they passed that $1 trillion infrastructure plan yesterday. The Senate voted last night. Vote was 50 to 49.

Tommy Tuberville added an amendment to the bill, that would defund any place that passed any "defund the police" measure in their district/city. The problem was, that it blew up in his fat ignorant face. Because Cory Booker rose to also move to do the same thing, and the amendment passed 99-0. So that bullshit talking point that Democrats want to "defund the police", is now thrown out the fucking window, and they can't run on it in 2022. Especially since the Republicans are literally the only ones that have voted to not give the police the funding they needed. Because that was in the last bill that passed on reconciliation. It had $350 billion for police funding in it, and they voted no for it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/11/sena...ture-bill.html

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    So, the Senate passed the $3.5 Trillion infrastructure plan after they passed that $1 trillion infrastructure plan yesterday. The Senate voted last night. Vote was 50 to 49.

Tommy Tuberville added an amendment to the bill, that would defund any place that passed any "defund the police" measure in their district/city. The problem was, that it blew up in his fat ignorant face. Because Cory Booker rose to also move to do the same thing, and the amendment passed 99-0. So that bullshit talking point that Democrats want to "defund the police", is now thrown out the fucking window, and they can't run on it in 2022. Especially since the Republicans are literally the only ones that have voted to not give the police the funding they needed. Because that was in the last bill that passed on reconciliation. It had $350 billion for police funding in it, and they voted no for it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/11/sena...ture-bill.html
    Why do you guys keep thinking proof/evidence/facts will stop Republican bullshit narratives?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    So that bullshit talking point that Democrats want to "defund the police", is now thrown out the fucking window, and they can't run on it in 2022.
    Come on, you know the GOP isn't going to let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020