Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    An argument which is entirely negated by aforementioned pointing out that "bodily autonomy" does not entitle you to use of someone else's body to sustain your life even if some form of 'consent' was given at one point.

To which the responses are invariably just emotional appeals in the vein of "think of the children" or slut shaming.

- - - Updated - - -

What a silly non sequitur.

Kids developing from fetuses does not make termination of a pregnancy "killing kids". You do know induced birth, i.e. termination of a pregnancy, is a thing, right?
    "Some form of consent" Oh like how you mean if the kid was born the father would be financially responsible till its 18. No one has a problem with that. But he cant have any say in if it gets to be born or not. This is why choosing who you have unprotected sex with is important but I guess that is "slut shaming" silly me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The world is underpopulated and not overpopulated. We need more manpower and brainpower in order to make progress a bit faster.

Still though, this isn't a reason to force any women to give birth. There are other better ways to incentive more births, such that a pregnant woman's free will is not violated.
    You are joking

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    It isn't dishonest, it's the same. Spermcells can grow into babies as well as a fetus.
    Both aren't babies yet. Simple scientific fact.
    Spermcell count is something like billions and billions of sperm and IF ONE makes the egg is somewhat of a miracle. To get to fetus stage you're more than on the way.

On paper you're right, but thats why context is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The world is underpopulated and not overpopulated. We need more manpower and brainpower in order to make progress a bit faster.

Still though, this isn't a reason to force any women to give birth. There are other better ways to incentive more births, such that a pregnant woman's free will is not violated.
    PC2 with more nonsense. Must be a day ending on Y. This world is heavily overpopulated, as shown by several scientific reports and things like climate change, famine etcetera. It will even get worse considering the exponential growth of population.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "Some form of consent" Oh like how you mean if the kid was born the father would be financially responsible till its 18. No one has a problem with that. But he cant have any say in if it gets to be born or not. This is why choosing who you have unprotected sex with is important but I guess that is "slut shaming" silly me.

- - - Updated - - -

You are joking

- - - Updated - - -

Spermcell count is something like billions and billions of sperm and IF ONE makes the egg is somewhat of a miracle.

There’s the mask off misogyny.

10+ Year Old Account

Spermcell count is something like billions and billions of sperm and IF ONE makes the egg is somewhat of a miracle. To get to fetus stage you're more than on the way.

Okay, I'd might exaggerate with spermcells but let's just say sex without impregnation. Most important is both don't directly create babies. There is another process coming after those stages before it turns into something capable of living outside the mothers womb.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-06-26 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    There’s the mask off misogyny.
    How can I hate woman, me mum's one.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Some form of consent" Oh like how you mean
    No, I don't, because MRA-esque ranting about child support isn't relevant to a discussion of bodily autonomy.

Nice mask off moment tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No, I don't, because MRA-esque ranting about child support isn't relevant to a discussion of bodily autonomy.

Nice mask off moment tho.
    Oh dear yeah the mask is off by pointing out the father should at least have an opinion seeing as he has legal responsibilities for said child outside of moral ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont pat yourself on the back that hard mate you'll put out a disk.

I'm not horrified by anything im just not gonna invest much into a conversation with someone that uses such ridiculous examples and hand waves everything counter as "irrelevant" like pointing out the reality that fetus grow into babies which grow into children. Which late night animated TV show idea will you throw at me next to counter this I ponder.
    That "reality" is irrelevant. Literally irrelevant. You could put an actual baby inside a woman and I'd still say she has the right to demand it be removed.

Whether the fetus can or will become a child at some point in the future if allowed to gestate to term is completely irrelevant. Because even if that's true, the woman still should have the right to abort. It's her body. You keep dismissing that and dehumanizing women in general in the process.

No one forces you to have sex
    And there's the misogynistic and pseudo-religious moral authoritarianism.

This is not an argument. It's just seeking to punish women for not holding to medieval levels of misogyny and male control over their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You're probably also aware that a primary argument for the pro-life position is that there's another body in that woman, and it's not very easy to discard its bodily autonomy if you really intend to make bodily autonomy your lynchpin.
    This is nonsense.

1> A fetus isn't a human being. Definitively so by law, and by science, that would be marked by "viability" at best, and at that point, if a pregnancy could be safely aborted by inducing birth, that's the process that would be used anyway, rendering the argument null.

2> Thus, no "bodily autonomy" for the fetus, in this. At best, you've made an argument for inducing birth to remove the fetus after it reaches viability, not any duty on the part of the pregnant person. Plus, removing that fetus does not in any respect violate its bodily autonomy, hypothetical as it may be.

It's a Russian nesting doll of wrongness.

You're probably also familiar with fetal viability arguments, since a healthy second body outside the first healthy body sort of defeats autonomy uber alles arguments.
    Not even a little bit, no. Fetal viability doesn't help the pro-life side one bit.

I've heard enough bodily autonomy arguments to know some claim the head may be crowning and it's still a lump of cells at the mercy of the whims of the owner of its temporary home. I also don't want anyone to get the idea that there's nothing to be done to arrive at a livable compromise--I think a lot of wrestling legislatively can arrive at some 12/15/20-week system for legality simply because a ton of Americans recognize the two-body problem and are capable of weighing their rights.
    How about "women can control the use of their bodies like everyone else can under all circumstances, and we'll stop enforcing ancient moral punishments on women for daring to have non-procreative sex".

Anything short of that requires that we accept a certain level of abusive, harmful misogyny. It is not in any respect a "compromise". It's like being told to stop beating your wife and trying to negotiate a "compromise" of getting to beat her on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every second Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear yeah the mask is off by pointing out the father should at least have an opinion seeing as he has legal responsibilities for said child outside of moral ones.
    We're not talking about a child. We're talking about abortion.

The father should have zero say unless the father is the one who's pregnant. He does not own the woman he impregnated, and anyone pushing that view should be shamed out of society.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the price we pay as men. Women do all the hard work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is mask off, because you seem to think "the father should be making decisions for the mother's bodily autonomy as if she were an invalid" is an acceptable argument. Rofl.

The argument is one of bodily autonomy. Child support is not a function of that.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

That's the price we pay as men. Women do all the hard work.
    Wont disagree they do the heavy lifting in child bearing and raising but the way this thread just dismisses the fathers role kinda reflects where we are in a society and why I think crime among other issues among young men keeps skyrocketing because the father figure is getting more and more isolated and mocked

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is mask off, because you seem to think "the father should be making decisions for the mother's bodily autonomy as if she were an invalid" is an acceptable argument. Rofl.

The argument is one of bodily autonomy. Child support is not a function of that.
    "But he got her pregnant so he at least half-owns her and gets to tell her what she can and can't do with her own body, right?"

Jesus wept, these "arguments".

10+ Year Old Account
    I think crime keeps skyrocketing because the father figure is getting more and more remote.
    Mask off, part deux.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wont disagree they do the heavy lifting in child bearing and raising but the way this thread just dismisses the fathers role kinda reflects where we are in a society and why I think crime among other issues among young men keeps skyrocketing because the father figure is getting more and more remote.
    Weird connection you made there.
    But men can have a say but women always have the final decision because it's their fucking body.

Sure dude thats what I think and not that the fathers role is just as important as the mother in making a healthy child. Unless you want more mentally unstable americans?

10+ Year Old Account
    So growing up without a father figure makes you mentally unstable? Is that what you are saying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure dude thats what I think and not that the fathers role is just as important as the mother in making a healthy child. Unless you want more mentally unstable americans?
    Why are you talking about child-rearing in a thread about abortion rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "But he got her pregnant so he at least half-owns her and gets to tell her what she can and can't do with her own body, right?"

Jesus wept, these "arguments".
    God forbid anyone should bring up pregnant men, then we'd -really- see the reactionary views come out.

So growing up without a father figure makes you mentally unstable? Is that what you are saying?
    Growing up without a father figure doesnt mean you magically develop bi popular.

But look at the streets of low income areas. They are filled with kids on the streets selling drugs or stealing cars to get by and no one gives a shit because they are too young to get punished by the courts and at home no one cares. How is that a healthy environment to realize their potential? Some kids never get a chance

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure dude thats what I think and not that the fathers role is just as important as the mother in making a healthy child.
    That's nice; why do you think this entitles a father to half-own the mother and get a say in their bodily autonomy?

Unless you want more mentally unstable americans?
    Nice subtle dig at lesbian couples. Very rational.