Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Biden showed his own struggling son more love in one random-ass phone call, that Trump showed his own wife (or child who attended) in front of a worldwide audience.
    pffft...everyone knows that only beta soy libcucks love their family.

But seriously, it never ceases to be amazing to me that Republicans still get away with pretending that they're the "party of family values." If it wasn't trying to pass laws that explicitly set out to destroy/devalue the families of those minority groups they despise, it would be their own personal lives hilariously failing to meet their own ridiculous standards.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-11-22 at 02:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    But seriously, it never ceases to be amazing to me that Republicans still get away with pretending that they're the "party of family values."
    Hmm? Sorry, I missed what you said. I was reading the transcript of a multiple adulterer sponsoring an abortion advocate.

Biden showed his own struggling son more love in one random-ass phone call, that Trump showed his own wife (or child who attended) in front of a worldwide audience.
    So...is the long and short of Hunter's Laptop 4.0 really just, "The most damning thing for Joe Biden on the entire machine is a supportive fatherly message of unconditional love for his son who has struggles with addiction?

I hope they play that a lot, that's just so damning for Joe. No way he can survive being painted as a loving, caring father. Oh the horror.

- - - Updated - - -

https://apnews.com/article/biden-gov...b6795a9d29bc8d

President Joe Biden announced Tuesday that his administration will extend the pause on federal student loan payments while the White House fights a legal battle to save his plan to cancel portions of the debt.

“It isn’t fair to ask tens of millions of borrowers eligible for relief to resume their student debt payments while the courts consider the lawsuit,” Biden said in a video posted on Twitter.

The moratorium was slated to expire Jan. 1, a date that Biden set before his debt cancellation plan stalled in the face of legal challenges from conservative opponents.

Now it will extend until 60 days after the lawsuit is resolved. If the lawsuit has not been resolved by June 30, payments would resume 60 days after that.

The Justice Department last week asked the Supreme Court to examine the issue and reinstate Biden’s debt cancellation plan.
    Dank Robinette continuing to deliver for folks with student loan debt while Republicans, many of whom benefitted from PPP debt forgiveness, sue to prevent the plebs from enjoying similar benefits.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

https://apnews.com/article/biden-gov...b6795a9d29bc8d

Dank Robinette continuing to deliver for folks with student loan debt while Republicans, many of whom benefitted from PPP debt forgiveness, sue to prevent the plebs from enjoying similar benefits.
    Halle-fucking-lujah. There was a part of me that was concerned they wouldn't, that the student debt relief thing was just an act to get extra votes, but this helps show that they're serious about it. As someone set to receive thousands of dollars from this, it's important to me.

snip
    Just to reiterate here. The provenance of the laptop is still in question. While the person who said the amount of data is impossible to fabricate, he is correct, that doesn't mean the laptop wasn't stolen/planted to some random maga republican shop keeper or his devices weren't hacked and a copy was made, similar to the DNC servers and the emails being leaked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    How can you read the article and his tweet and not conclude he's decrying the length of time it takes to count ballots
    If only Conservatives stopped ratfucking election processes and enacted sensible electronic voting laws it wouldn't be an issue

It'd be a hoot to find out if Hunter Biden played WoW and posted here...and the gop ripped into him for his choices of race/class.

7+ Year Old Account
    I saw an interesting article on Politico today and I couldn't help but laugh my ass off. Snark aside I think this is Europe's fault rather then Biden's, not that Europe would ever admit it, arrogant self-centered assholes that we are around here.

Still I found this article amusing.

https://www.politico.eu/article/vlad...ting-from-war/

Top European officials are furious with Joe Biden’s administration and now accuse the Americans of making a fortune from the war, while EU countries suffer.

“The fact is, if you look at it soberly, the country that is most profiting from this war is the U.S. because they are selling more gas and at higher prices, and because they are selling more weapons,” one senior official told POLITICO.

The biggest point of tension in recent weeks has been Biden’s green subsidies and taxes that Brussels says unfairly tilt trade away from the EU and threaten to destroy European industries. Despite formal objections from Europe, Washington has so far shown no sign of backing down.

At the same time, the disruption caused by Putin’s invasion of Ukraine is tipping European economies into recession, with inflation rocketing and a devastating squeeze on energy supplies threatening blackouts and rationing this winter.

As they attempt to reduce their reliance on Russian energy, EU countries are turning to gas from the U.S. instead — but the price Europeans pay is almost four times as high as the same fuel costs in America. Then there’s the likely surge in orders for American-made military kit as European armies run short after sending weapons to Ukraine.

It's all got too much for top officials in Brussels and other EU capitals. French President Emmanuel Macron said high U.S. gas prices were not “friendly” and Germany’s economy minister has called on Washington to show more “solidarity” and help reduce energy costs.

Ministers and diplomats based elsewhere in the bloc voiced frustration at the way Biden’s government simply ignores the impact of its domestic economic policies on European allies.

When EU leaders tackled Biden over high U.S. gas prices at the G20 meeting in Bali last week, the American president simply seemed unaware of the issue, according to the senior official quoted above. Other EU officials and diplomats agreed that American ignorance about the consequences for Europe was a major problem.

"The Europeans are discernibly frustrated about the lack of prior information and consultation," said David Kleimann of the Bruegel think tank.

Officials on both sides of the Atlantic recognize the risks that the increasingly toxic atmosphere will have for the Western alliance. The bickering is exactly what Putin would wish for, EU and U.S. diplomats agreed.

The growing dispute over Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) — a huge tax, climate and health care package — has put fears over a transatlantic trade war high on the political agenda again. EU trade ministers are due to discuss their response on Friday as officials in Brussels draw up plans for an emergency war chest of subsidies to save European industries from collapse.

"The Inflation Reduction Act is very worrying," said Dutch Trade Minister Liesje Schreinemacher. "The potential impact on the European economy is very big."

"The U.S. is following a domestic agenda, which is regrettably protectionist and discriminates against U.S. allies," said Tonino Picula, the European Parliament's lead person on the transatlantic relationship.

An American official stressed the price setting for European buyers of gas reflects private market decisions and is not the result of any U.S. government policy or action. "U.S. companies have been transparent and reliable suppliers of natural gas to Europe," the official said. Exporting capacity has also been limited by an accident in June that forced a key facility to shut down.
    Hey guys remember when Donald Trump was ruining the democratic world through tariffs and other measures and undermining America's alliances? Yeah about that. Apparently Europe hates Biden. I mean gee it isn't like Europe didn't live in Wonderland for decades on energy policy. It's all America's fault clearly!
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    How can you read the article and his tweet and not conclude he's decrying the length of time it takes to count ballots and declare a winner?
    Simple; because we're not illiterate morons trying to excuse right wing grift or attempts to undermine democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

old amtrak joe selling out the union is he? lazereyes.jpeg

https://www.insider.com/biden-offici...irport-2022-11
    A Biden administration official is on leave after they were charged with stealing a Vera Bradley suitcase worth over $2,000 from a Minnesota airport
    A Biden administration official has been charged with felony theft and is on leave from their post after being accused of stealing a mother's Vera Bradley suitcase from an airport in Minnesota, according to court documents and the federal government.

Sam Brinton, the deputy assistant secretary of the Office of Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition at the Department of Energy's Office of Nuclear Energy, was accused of taking the luggage from baggage claim at the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport on September 16, according to a complaint filed last month.

The 26-inch navy blue hard-sided roller bag and its contents were estimated to be worth $2,325, according to the court documents obtained by Insider.

Surveillance footage captured Brinton, 35, taking the Vera Bradley luggage from the carousel at around 4:45 p.m. after Brinton arrived at the airport on an American Airlines flight from Washington, DC, the court documents allege.

The complaint states that Brinton took off the bag's tag and left the area "at a quick pace" before hopping into a cab; records from American Airlines show Brinton never checked a bag before they left Washington DC, according to the court papers.

Brinton was then caught on surveillance footage checking into a luxury riverfront hotel in St. Paul with the bag, the complaint says.

Two days later, on September 18, Brinton was seen checking the bag before boarding a flight back to Washington DC, the documents state. Brinton was again seen on surveillance video carrying the bag at Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia after returning from a Europe trip on October 9, investigators said.

When a Minnesota police officer called Brinton that day, Brinton denied taking someone else's bag.

"If I had taken the wrong bag, I am happy to return it, but I don't have any clothes for another individual. That was my clothes when I opened the bag," Brinton told the officer, the complaint states.

The complaint alleges that Brinton then called the officer back two hours later and apologized for not being "completely honest."

Brinton told the officer that they were tired and picked up the wrong bag and only realized when they got to the hotel and opened the suitcase.

The complaint says Brinton "got nervous people would think they stole the bag and did not know what to do."

Brinton told police they left the clothes from the bag inside the drawers in the hotel room and admitted to taking the bag back to the airport on September 18.

When Brinton was questioned why they would use the bag, Brinton said they thought it would be "weirder" to leave the luggage in the hotel room rather than the clothes, the court papers say.

Police did not recover any clothes from the hotel room where Brinton stayed and as of October 27 — when the complaint was filed — the owner of the Vera Bradley bag has not gotten it back, according to the court documents.

The Department of Energy told Insider on Tuesday that Brinton is "on leave" from the agency and that Dr. Kim Petry is now "performing the duties of Deputy Assistant Secretary of Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition."

An attorney for Brinton did not immediately respond to a request for comment by Insider.

Brinton, who is one of the federal government's first openly "gender fluid" employees, faces up to five years in prison or a $10,000 fine or both. They are scheduled to make their first court appearance in Minnesota's 4th Judicial District Court on December 19.
    I never can understand why people who are making bank decide to throw it all away over something so small. Since this is not the last administration though we see the person is already on leave and hopefully will be fired if found guilty. Of course though Republicans have to be disgusting with their comments and glee from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    I never can understand why people who are making bank decide to throw it all away over something so small.
    Yea...had it been Trump this would be billions and top secret documents.
    GO BIG OR GET OUT OF OFFICE DAMMIT!!1

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.insider.com/biden-offici...irport-2022-11
    A Biden administration official is on leave after they were charged with stealing a Vera Bradley suitcase worth over $2,000 from a Minnesota airport

I never can understand why people who are making bank decide to throw it all away over something so small. Since this is not the last administration though we see the person is already on leave and hopefully will be fired if found guilty. Of course though Republicans have to be disgusting with their comments and glee from this.
    Honestly, this looks like what started as an honest mistake that could have been easily fixed turned into a big mess because of a medley of 'worst possible decisions' made. I don't get the impression that this person was being malicious or trying to be a thief, but they did what they did and deserve punishment for it. Also they clearly do not have the good judgement required to continue work anywhere important.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Honestly, this looks like what started as an honest mistake that could have been easily fixed turned into a big mess because of a medley of 'worst possible decisions' made. I don't get the impression that this person was being malicious or trying to be a thief, but they did what they did and deserve punishment for it. Also they clearly do not have the good judgement required to continue work anywhere important.
    Why do you think it seems like an honest mistake? The article states that Brinton did not check a bag. Stealing a fancy bag from an airport is indeed a bizarre thing to do, but nothing about it seems like an honest mistake.

I'm calling on Congress to pass legislation immediately to adopt the Tentative Agreement between railroad workers and operators.

Let me be clear: a rail shutdown would devastate our economy. Without freight rail, many U.S. industries would shut down.

Biden trying to tout his awesome rail worker deal when he is shafting them. Biden is touting a pay raise, from which I read the 24% doesn't even cover inflation, but that is not the problem

As the president spoke, union workers across the country began processing what was in the new agreement — and what was left out. Union leaders had pushed for 15 days of paid sick leave, but the proposed deal landed on just one day

If you read the Biden tweet on top and his speeches he brags about being pro-union yet seems to cave in to the corporations. The biggest sticking point was the sick day leave which before this even began the workers had No personal or sick day leave. Well Biden thinks a whole 1 day is great! Not even trying to get 15 days or some bs middle of ground 7 days lets say.

This right here is why it's crushing when you want a president or party to fight and they don't and they try to defend them.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Why do you think it seems like an honest mistake? The article states that Brinton did not check a bag. Stealing a fancy bag from an airport is indeed a bizarre thing to do, but nothing about it seems like an honest mistake.
    I guess it's the sheer absurdity of it. There was no way they weren't going to get caught, there's tons of cameras in an airport and a suitcase that expensive is usually pretty easy to pick out. Nothing about this was a well thought out plan, it's the kind of thing you would expect from a 6 year old who screwed up and then is desperately looking for some way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I guess it's the sheer absurdity of it. There was no way they weren't going to get caught, there's tons of cameras in an airport and a suitcase that expensive is usually pretty easy to pick out. Nothing about this was a well thought out plan, it's the kind of thing you would expect from a 6 year old who screwed up and then is desperately looking for some way out of it.
    My first thought is kleptomania, because you're right, it just flat out doesn't make any sense to do something so brazen, you almost have to want to be caught.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My first thought is kleptomania, because you're right, it just flat out doesn't make any sense to do something so brazen, you almost have to want to be caught.
    Ultimately though it doesn't matter much. Whether the intent was innocent or malicious, the fact is that the deed was done and they need to be held accountable. And whatever the thought process of the initial act, the way they conducted themselves afterwards to cover it up is deplorable. The correct response to "I was worried that they might think I stole it" is not "So at that point I had to really steal it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I'm calling on Congress to pass legislation immediately to adopt the Tentative Agreement between railroad workers and operators.

Let me be clear: a rail shutdown would devastate our economy. Without freight rail, many U.S. industries would shut down.

Biden trying to tout his awesome rail worker deal when he is shafting them. Biden is touting a pay raise, from which I read the 24% doesn't even cover inflation, but that is not the problem

As the president spoke, union workers across the country began processing what was in the new agreement — and what was left out. Union leaders had pushed for 15 days of paid sick leave, but the proposed deal landed on just one day

If you read the Biden tweet on top and his speeches he brags about being pro-union yet seems to cave in to the corporations. The biggest sticking point was the sick day leave which before this even began the workers had No personal or sick day leave. Well Biden thinks a whole 1 day is great! Not even trying to get 15 days or some bs middle of ground 7 days lets say.

This right here is why it's crushing when you want a president or party to fight and they don't and they try to defend them.
    I hired on with one of the big railroads earlier this year. The job is easy compared to what I've done before, the pay is really good, but getting ANY time away from the job is damn near impossible. You are on call 24/7. There is no set schedule. It's "call who's first on the list for the next train available." After you clock out you get 10 hours rest. After that they can call you at any time. After the call you have 2 hours to get to work. You can easily work into your off day. If that happens your 24 hours off starts as soon as you get off the train at your home terminal, which can FUBAR the whole day. Especially if you are sitting in a hotel waiting for the next train back on your day off. Just starting off I only get one scheduled off day a week. I have the potential for more that week if they don't call me in, but I'm sitting next to that phone the whole time waiting for it to go off. That's not resting. The more senior guys have a 6 on/2 off schedule or if they work the yard a 5/2 eight hour work day.

What happens when I get sick? No fucking idea! Not one person has explained to me how that whole process works. Who to call, what are the consequences. The closest I've been told anything is "don't be sick" and "don't miss that call." If you miss one call it's an automatic write up. The points for that write up only come off after a year of no other incidents. If anything happens the counter starts over.

As for the pay raises, they are factoring in the back pay and raises we should have gotten over the years of contract negotiations for this one contract. So 24% sounds good but that's 24% spread over the last 3 years of negotiations and up till the contract ends. I'm assuming 2-3 years in the future.

All in all, this is one of the better jobs I've had. It just could be so much better.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    -SNIP-
    God damn, that sounds really fucking rough. I'm sorry you're having to work a job like that. Good luck on conditions improving, or them hiring more people so it's less short-staffed and hectic.