10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The Atlantic wrote an article about Vladimir Putin that I think is very applicable to folks like Elmo (i.e. CEOs and the ultrawealthy in general).

Autocrats such as Putin eventually succumb to what may be called the “dictator trap.” The strategies they use to stay in power tend to trigger their eventual downfall. Rather than being long-term planners, many make catastrophic short-term errors—the kinds of errors that would likely have been avoided in democratic systems. They hear only from sycophants, and get bad advice. They misunderstand their population. They don’t see threats coming until it’s too late. And unlike elected leaders who leave office to riches, book tours, and the glitzy lifestyle of a statesman, many dictators who miscalculate leave office in a casket, a possibility that makes them even more likely to double down.
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Its called "Impostor's syndrome" though I think its normally used for people who did earn the place they are in, but they feel like they are somehow a fraud
    The "dictator trap" described above is a symptom, not of Impostor Syndrome, but "dictator disease" - when someone becomes so powerful that they can successfully install a filter between themselves and reality. Bad news, failures, useful criticism, anything they don't like, it doesn't enter their awareness, because it gets screened out by flunkies and fear. It happens pretty reliably to human beings who put themselves in a position where they can exercise such control. (And it seems to take about ten years, though individuals can vary.) And such people are functionally insane; they are incapable of making rational decisions, because even if their minds were working well (and they usually aren't by that point) they cannot receive and process the information that would allow them to do so.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    The "dictator trap" described above is a symptom, not of Impostor Syndrome, but "dictator disease" - when someone becomes so powerful that they can successfully install a filter between themselves and reality. Bad news, failures, useful criticism, anything they don't like, it doesn't enter their awareness, because it gets screened out by flunkies and fear. It happens pretty reliably to human beings who put themselves in a position where they can exercise such control. (And it seems to take about ten years, though individuals can vary.) And such people are functionally insane; they are incapable of making rational decisions, because even if their minds were working well (and they usually aren't by that point) they cannot receive and process the information that would allow them to do so.
    alternative theory : hes just a cunt.

Theres all this paypal mafia who were a bunch of white south africans who saw democracy take away their (white)power so they all hate any sort of democratic accountability or governance. (thiel, sacks, musk etc). Or his daddy used to beat him (maybe worse) and hes got serious issues which is why he always tries to control women. Or whatever you are going with. But more likely hes just a fucking dork who got a taster or power and it helped reveal who he is, a daft cunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, what the fuck was the point of Chapelle bringing Elon out anyways?

Is Chapelle doing comedy again? I miss when he had more than like 2 jokes which weren't even funny, but he keeps walking out on stage and repeating them to an audience so I assume this is comedy.

Either way, jesus christ Elon so desperately wants people to like him. Can't he buy himself a few fucking friends?
    Chapelle's just doing conservative comedy now. So he's right up there with Larry the Cable Guy or Tim Allen at this point in his career.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Elon's a brilliant engineer, but it's starting to become apparent how far out there he is mentally. He's made comments before that he believes better than 50/50 that we're living in a simulation. At the time I took that as an off-the-cuff philosophical remark. But then when he was booed loudly at the Chapelle show, Musk reportedly told Chapelle "This feels like a simulation". 0.o Both a red flag about his mental state and a major sign of narcissism, that he is so dumbfounded at disapproval during a rare time he is outside of his companies that we now realize he runs as a personality cult. He founded his other companies, so the personality cult in those was already entrenched from the start. He instilled the same at Twitter with his severe cuts and 'hardcore' threats. So like a cult all that's left are the blind followers.

He's also incredibly apocalyptic, presenting every position he has as necessary 'to save humanity'. He's said many times that the entire purpose of all of his companies is to fund SpaceX to colonize Mars since humanity is in his belief near-extinction on Earth. Is the state of the world something to be concerned with, sure. But putting it a different way, should we make radical decisions as though the Earth only has 10 years left, probably not.

Which gets to my point, that on the surface a lot of his positions and goals seem rational. But then you peel the onion back just a little bit and you realize there's a real hot mess going on in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Elon's a brilliant engineer
    Citation needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Citation needed.
    Yeah. He's a billionaire. The guy with the money. And that's it. Like, he's not building/designing the damn cars and rockets himself. That's just... no.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    I sometimes wonder if Elon Musk's "Arc" (for lack of a better word for it) is reflective of Howard Hughes's decent into madness. I can't help feeling we are seeing parallel lives here (minus the crippling impact injuries).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hughes

I keep thinking, years from now, we will find out he is doing something similar to Hughes's keeping his toenail clippings in jars or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRavens View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Elon Musk's "Arc" (for lack of a better word for it) is reflective of Howard Hughes's decent into madness. I can't help feeling we are seeing parallel lives here (minus the crippling impact injuries).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hughes

I keep thinking, years from now, we will find out he is doing something similar to Hughes's keeping his toenail clippings in jars or something.
    I don't know man, Hughes never went full fascist. It's important to remember the world's richest man is a fascist or is at least willing to burn 44 billion dollars so fascists can freely troll people online, to harass teachers and gays etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Former twitter employees going into hiding.

Elon is going to straight up kill more people than Tesla Autopilot.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Citation needed.
    He's a finance bro who fancies himself an engineer.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is Twitter's Trust and Safety Council?

Answer yesterday:

In 2016, we established the Twitter Trust and Safety Council, which brings together more than 40 experts and organizations to help advise us as we develop our products, programs and the Twitter Rules. We’ve been discussing internally and with the current members how we can make sure the Council best serves the people who use Twitter, and heard feedback that we needed to broaden membership to include a more diverse range of voices and organize members to have deeper conversations.

Going forward, the Council will be made up of several groups, each focused on advising us on important issues that contribute to real-world harm. These are difficult areas to discuss, so it’s even more important to ensure these topics have dedicated time and are understood as unique challenges in their own right. In 2020, we will initially set up groups focused on:

• Safety and online harassment
    • Human and digital rights
    • Child sexual exploitation
    • Suicide prevention and mental health

These four groups cover topics that are critical to ensuring people feel safe, and will be a crucial part in helping us learn how we can move faster to address emerging trends and risks. Focusing on these issues will help us more quickly adapt and address new trends and risks to consider. By bringing together a wider and more diverse range of perspectives, we hope to engage in more substantial discussion of these issues.

We’ll also set up temporary working groups on other topics that will be better addressed in conversation with organisations that have related expertise, including those who may not already be members of the Council. One such group will work on the issues we face as we broaden our interpretation of dehumanization.
    Answer today:

Musk just disbanded it.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2022-12-13 at 02:35 PM.

Wish I could find just video but I give you a link. It's a different angle of Musk and he is looking like king nerd, not in a good way, with the greatest amount of cringe.

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/statu...Hd1u8XnN7ldaCQ

He does this twitch shoulder shrug that looks so stupid. Then as reported yells what sounds like "I'm riii bish", maybe bad audio. It's bad.

The best part is Chappelle looks so bad in this as a guy you used to critique people like Musk. Chappelle's comeback is "people who boo, have terrible seats. Booing from way up there". The other great point people pointed out was Chappelle on why he quit his show, was tired of people yelling "I'm rich bitch" to him. Then this spaz, nerd is tweeking on stage and yelling it.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    What is Twitter's Trust and Safety Council?

Answer yesterday:

Answer today:

Musk just disbanded it.
    Which means, he just opened himself up to losing ALL of Europe, and billions in lawsuits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Which means, he just opened himself up to losing ALL of Europe, and billions in lawsuits.
    Oh no!

Anyways.

So, about that $5.7 billion in Tesla stock that Elon Musk gave to charity last year... it went to his own charity, Bloomberg reports:

I will link article. Idk if full article from Bloomberg cause its sub blocked.

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/tech...s-own-charity/

So Elon did this so he could control the money and where it went? What's so wrong with that? Only mentions 2 donations of $55 million and $54 million this year, likely interest from the $5.7 billion. Sure he is making donations but looked like he possibly banked it and just giving donations from interest.

From Forbes article in February this gave Elon a huge windfall tax deduction of 30%.. This was only 2.3% of his net worth at the time.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Today's Elon Shitshow summary:
    • No longer paying rent at any of its offices
    • Reconsidering whether to pay employees severance
    • Not working with lawyer Alex Spiro
    • Getting legal help from SpaceX
    • tesla stock is down 60% on the year

SpaceX is just giving up their lawyers' time? Sounds odd. Fiscally imprudent. Getting paid in Twitter stock doesn't sound too smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Considering how the thread became unambiguously and viciously political, I've moved it from General Offtopic to Politics.
    Can we rename this the "Elon Musk's Shitshow Mid Life Crisis Thread"?
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2022-12-13 at 10:43 PM.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Today's Elon Shitshow summary:
    [LIST][*]No longer paying rent at any of its offices.

To paraphrase Chris Hayes here, this shows that rich people can really have this incredible privilege of effin people by deciding not to pay rent, labor or contractors. Aka what Trump always did.

Not sure here if but assuming the person who owns any space in SF is rich so might not hurt this guy too much, but just deciding not to pay rent is the most rich asshole thing ever. Maybe this hurts people lower on the ladder where the laborers get effed, cause this landlord now doesn't want to lose cost. A game he can play to go to court and won't even affect him. For some reason people defend the rich when they would never be afforded this privilege cause they most don't have money in the bank just to spend on lawyers and whatever else.

I remember my quick old Business Law class in college and if you disputed rents you still had to put the rent into escrow or whatever. So once more the average person just will never have the money to randomly eff a person for reasons.

Oh! Also not sure why he is not paying rent since I think his beef is with the city. Obviously for attention and he is trying to break lease and Twitter will be in Texas soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    [*]No longer paying rent at any of its offices
    Rofl, send the repo guys out to start nabbing Tesla's off the lot.

Dude's going to be the deadest beat dad ever at this rate, raising another generation of children with massive daddy issues just like himself.

https://twitter.com/2022_Karma/statu...17120843403264

Rofl, the lunatic conspiracy theorists are thinking Elon's the new Q and shit. Absolute smoothbrain stupid shit.

Edit: I don't know why, but I can't get this video out of my mind and I keep seeing Elon saying this dumbass shit -

Remember kids, if you can't clean up your rooms you aren't allowed to have an opinion.

Last edited by Edge-; 2022-12-14 at 01:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the first few Twitter accounts that posted the video of Elmo getting boo'd were taken down and the accounts banned. It was very clear Elmo was trying to suppress the story. But the story was too popular and spread like wildfire, and everyone was reposting it, making it a wildfire that was impossible to suppress. People were commenting about how Elmo had deleted the video and banned accounts, but the "community notes" on these posts is now "NUH UH, SEE THE VIDEO IS RIGHT HERE" trying desperately to pretend that Elmo wasn't a snowflake baby that shit his pants over this.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"