Page 45 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So one of our tanks is going to stop raiding shortly and I'm currently looking at our options if we don't find a new tank fast.

One of the options is for me to reroll to my warrior, but he currently doesn't have any tank gear except for a 522 shield. How viable is tanking with 545ish fury gear? From what I've read here, crit is decent albeit not ideal stat and my gear has minimal amounts of useless haste (a good chunk of it being on the cloak, which I'd swap to the tank one).

Would just reforging and regemming that gear to avoidance be good enough for 10 man progression? I also currently don't have any tank trinkets. I have feather, gaze and primordius'. Are those useful for tanking or do I need to try to get a stam trinket asap?

I didn't want to quote everyone, but thanks for the help. I'll get my old VP stam trinket and look again at my rotations. I'm going also to finish the legendary questline so the cloak will give me a good boost.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    There is no Vengeance cap. But they nerfed the Vengeance generation from

newVengeance = 0.018 * DamageTaken + OldVengeance * OldVengeanceSecondsRemaining / 20
    to
    newVengeance = 0.015 * DamageTaken + OldVengeance * OldVengeanceSecondsRemaining / 20
    in 5.4.

There is no new vengeance cap.
    Vengeance is still capped at MaxHP.

You should also mentioned, that the first hit gives you a lot of more vengeance than the 1,5%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muuku View Post
    There is no new vengeance cap.
    Vengeance is still capped at MaxHP.

You should also mentioned, that the first hit gives you a lot of more vengeance than the 1,5%.
    I did. Check http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22475412
    The first hit starts at 50% Vengeance.

That max-hp cap is non-existent. If a mob does a 5,000,000 hit every 1.5 seconds it would give you exactly 1,000,000 Vengeance. So basically 1,000,000 hitpoints. But that hit would do 1,425,000 damage past armor+stance. If you have no other source of defense you are toast!

Deleted
    Ahh, sorry. Didn't saw your spreadsheet.
    Just your last post.

There is no 100%HP cap?

Edit:
    Understand what you are saying.
    Your are dead, before reaching the cap ^^
    Last edited by mmocad2ac9d34b; 2013-09-20 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    So one of our tanks is going to stop raiding shortly and I'm currently looking at our options if we don't find a new tank fast.

One of the options is for me to reroll to my warrior, but he currently doesn't have any tank gear except for a 522 shield. How viable is tanking with 545ish fury gear? From what I've read here, crit is decent albeit not ideal stat and my gear has minimal amounts of useless haste (a good chunk of it being on the cloak, which I'd swap to the tank one).

Would just reforging and regemming that gear to avoidance be good enough for 10 man progression? I also currently don't have any tank trinkets. I have feather, gaze and primordius'. Are those useful for tanking or do I need to try to get a stam trinket asap?
    You're best bet would be to keep the fury gear with all of the same gemming strats. Make sure you reforge to the exp hardcap, prioritize crit>mastery after that. The biggest concern here would be that the crit build requires a fair amount of tanking experience to play well. I normally wouldn't recommend glyphing unending rage, but you may want to do so at first until you get the hang of maintaining max shield block uptime while dumping extra rage into shield barrier for big and/or unavoidable damage.

Oh and @ Coldkill
    From someone who also mains a rogue and alts a prot warrior. I found that keeping the same weak aura's in place and changing the triggers works really well. Ie
    SND becomes Weak Blows
    Rupture becomes Shield Block
    Envenom becomes Shield Barrier
    and so on.

Clampy has some really nice Prot weak aura's but doing the above works best for me. I'm just too used to looking for stuff in the same place lol.
    Last edited by mongoose6; 2013-09-20 at 03:36 PM.

@Kalmah
    Your dps gear will do fine. Just reforge/gem/enchant into avoidance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreldin View Post
    Tanked the first boss in normal 10m SoO, and the first three in Flex no problems (EXCEPT for the solo tanking part against the single add in the Norushen Test realm. I was having some trouble keeping my health up; I survived, but it was rough). My gear ilvl is 521 atm.

Right now I'm using the mastery build from ask robot. Should I switch to avoidance? I don't really follow theory crafting.
    I managed it with 502ilvl using avoidance build, as long as I interrupted everything and moved from the rest I was fine, only had issues when I started missing interrupts.

So I'm thinking of making a FAQ for Prot Warriors because I feel like we are answering the same few questions every couple of pages. Anyone have any input on what should go on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    So I'm thinking of making a FAQ for Prot Warriors because I feel like we are answering the same few questions every couple of pages. Anyone have any input on what should go on there?
    1. The difference between mastery and avoidance tanking, how each is suited for different playstyles, yadda yadda.

2. The "I'm a Fury Warrior switching to Prot" answer, that's popped up too often in here.

Few other things, but that's all I can think of for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    It's possible the cloak have a hard cap akin to Guardian Spirit, and you can't absorb x% more than your health.

PD: Lol, HC WC BIS weapon at 1st coin. A shame we scale like... that with weapon damage.
    Grats on the weapon!

I'm inclined to change the first post as well if there is some kind of consensus since this thread has quite a decent amount of momentum.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Sblock vs Sbar, when and why?

Protection Warrior FAQ:

Q: I heard about this new ability called Riposte that makes avoidance stat stacking viable in 5.4, but I also heard that Protection Warriors benefit from Crit right now. Should I stack Avoidance or Crit or Mastery?

A: At the moment there is no wrong answer. There are pluses and minuses to each and you should really decide what works for you and your raid.

Mastery:
    + The physical damage intake is very smooth with almost no spikes
    + Higher Mastery stats in 5.4 resulting in many crit blocks which in turn give 10 rage
    - Lower benefit from Riposte since your avoidance will be much lower then someone who is stacking avoidance

Parry/Dodge:
    + Lowest overall damage taken
    + Damage done increases significantly
    + High rage generation due to high crit from Riposte (Shield Slams and Devastates crits = 10 rage) and revenge spam due to revenge CD resetting when you dodge/parry and attack
    -Spikes in damage taken which may result in being more difficult to heal

Crit:
    +Highest overall DPS
    +Great for off-tanking when you will not be tanking for the vast majority of the fight
    -Highest overall damage taken

Q: So I decided to stack avoidance. How should I balance my parry and dodge rating?

A: First of all, whenever you are talking about balancing Parry and dodge rating, you always want to use rating NOT percentage.

There are 2 ways to approach this.
    1: Balance them using something like THIS to have an "optimal" balance for diminishing returns.

2. Throw as much into Parry as possible to take advantage of the HOLD THE LINE GLYPH. The downside is that you lose out on some avoidance due to the DR on parry although the amount you lose is very little (a few 10ths of a percentage of avoidance).

Q: I'm planning on playing my Warrior as Protection this patch, but my tank set is very undergeared. Would it be better to use my DPS gear until I can upgrade to higher ilvl tanking gear?

A: The DPS gear will be just fine. As mentioned above, crit stacking may not be ideal for your situation, but it is better then using tanking gear that is a tier or 2 behind.

Q: Should I still Hit/Exp hard-cap?

A: YES!!! Always

Q: What is the difference between Shield Block and Shield Barrier? Should I be spamming Shield Barrier if I am stacking avoidance stats?

A: No matter how you are gearing, you want to keep a 100% possible uptime on you Shield Block if there is any blockable damage incoming. The extra rage should be used on Barriers inbetween your Shield Blocks.

There are exceptions to this as always.
    -If high unblockable damage is incoming then it may be a good idea to pool your rage to have full Shield Barriers up for that ability
    -If your vengeance level is high enough that you can spam barriers and take literally zero damage
    -If you are dangerously close to dying, Barrier can be used as an "Oh Shit" button

Q: What are the BIS trinkets?

A: Trinkets, as always, are very situation. 90% of the time there will never be 2 BIS trinkets that you use for every fight.

Q: I heard Glyph of Resonating Power is puts Thunder Clap in our single target rotation. Is that true?

Yes, it would be ahead of devastate.

Anyone got anything else or wanna add/correct anything?
    Last edited by Gliff; 2013-09-20 at 09:38 PM.

Deleted
    Hi guys quick question im new to prot warrior and to my understanding i need to try and keep my dodge and parry numbers close togather, now i read maybe even somewhere in this post that you want to keep the values close not the percentages is this correct?

i have at the moment:

Dodge: 8795 (14.34%)
    Parry: 7573 (25.72%)

so as you can see its quite important i dont take the wrong value to reforge into,
    many thanx.

Rating not percentage.

Anyone got anything else or wanna add/correct anything?
    I was thinking it would be beneficial for less familiar warriors to understand how trinket slots and enchants tend to be overbudget for stam, while gems are overbudget for secondary stats. This might fall under the question "Q:Should I stack stamina?"

- - - Updated - - -

Also regarding Dodge/Parry ratio, it is ideal to shoot for 2:3. This can, in most cases simply be achieved by stacking parry in red slots and dodge in yellow. So think along the lines 10,000 Dodge rating and 15,000 Parry rating for this tier. In practice, it is difficult to swing the ratio far enough for it to make a significant difference (perhaps 0.5% total avoidance). I would mostly not bother with reforging from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehpounderer View Post
    I was thinking it would be beneficial for less familiar warriors to understand how trinket slots and enchants tend to be overbudget for stam, while gems are overbudget for secondary stats. This might fall under the question "Q:Should I stack stamina?"

- - - Updated - - -

Also regarding Dodge/Parry ratio, it is ideal to shoot for 2:3. This can, in most cases simply be achieved by stacking parry in red slots and dodge in yellow. So think along the lines 10,000 Dodge rating and 15,000 Parry rating for this tier. In practice, it is difficult to swing the ratio far enough for it to make a significant difference (perhaps 0.5% total avoidance). I would mostly not bother with reforging from one to the other.
    @Gliff: I'd add these as well. Trinkets/gem explanations are a good idea, and people are bound to ask whether parry/dodge need to be balanced.

Should put something about Glyphs and talents in there as well, question is going to be asked sooner or later.

Changed the original post to match what was included. I will add more / modify hopefully this weekend.

Gliff, do you have a source for that spreadsheet you linked so I can give credit?

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    Changed the original post to match what was included. I will add more / modify hopefully this weekend.

Gliff, do you have a source for that spreadsheet you linked so I can give credit?
    No but it was someone from this thread.

Deleted
    Hey Ho!
    This is my spreadsheet.