Quote Originally Posted by Broflake View Post
    All I am saying is, this clearly was never about having playable high elves on the alliance. It was, and always has been about skin deep aesthetics.
    It had nothing to do with the lore or anything else.
    I expect this topic will die now.
    Really, they should change the names of some of the races on the character select screen. It should say Void Elf/High Elf. Trolls should include Sand Troll, Dwarves should include Wildhammer Dwarf.

It's an easy solve that wouldn't require changing the actual race name in-game. Just a simple nod to the player that the "race" is a wider grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Red skin and horns. Demonhunter has similar options. Felblood were limited by low rez graphics of the time period. Maybe an update to the black wings. As for being dead, they're just blood elves that drank too deeply in the fel. Not a difficult action to repeat.
    And why wouldn't you just roll a demon hunter for those options?
    Let alone, why would the blood elves who are vehemently opposed to such actions take in large amounts of fel?
    Like...dude...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    Really, they should change the names of some of the races on the character select screen. It should say Void Elf/High Elf. Trolls should include Sand Troll, Dwarves should include Wildhammer Dwarf.

It's an easy solve that wouldn't require changing the actual race name in-game. Just a simple nod to the player that the "race" is a wider grouping.
    I don't see the necessity and it may not be possible with the way the game is coded.

7+ Year Old Account
    And why wouldn't you just roll a demon hunter for those options?
    Let alone, why would the blood elves who are vehemently opposed to such actions take in large amounts of fel?
    Like...dude...
    Warlocks.
    /10char

shouldn't this thread close for redundancy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by mortephobia View Post
    shouldn't this thread close for redundancy?
    No, it is neither redundant nor does it appear the conversation is at an end.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Agreed. The only thing I'm leery of is the "later date" part. Historically, that later date never comes. Blizzard fully intends to add more customization later in the xpac, I'm sure, but this kind of thing is usually abandoned unless there is an outcry about broken promises.
    I think this will come just after the normal races. Blizzard only didn't assume it because they don't want people to think they are a 9.0 thing.
    Whatever...

For me I am disappointed because it completely defeats the purpoe of having void elves to begin with. They might as well have done high elves rather than this weird loop de loop
    I won't deny is not convoluted, but again, I do see the value in "condensing" some racial offshoots to the same "gameplay" race. Cause otherwise we have 6 playable elf races? Honestly I would do away with most AR this way tbh, we don't need that kind of bloat from a design perspective.

And if it defeats the purpose of VE's, kinda shows how misguided that purpose was from the beginning, at least to many people in the community and themselves as we can see.

I don't see the necessity and it may not be possible with the way the game is coded.
    On the coding side, you never know, because sometimes coding is just dump. However, it can't be that hard to change the text in a field.

As for necessity, Blizzard is making some fundamental shifts about what "race" means in the game. At the very least, this should be reflected by updated race descriptions on the character select screen.

For me I am disappointed because it completely defeats the purpoe of having void elves to begin with. They might as well have done high elves rather than this weird loop de loop
    And what was the "purpose" of the void elves?
    Blizzard never bothered to give them actual lore that would allow their own identity to stand on its own two feet. They were blue-skinned blood elves using the void, with a normal-looking high elf leader and normal-looking blood and high elf apprentices.
    Void elves were just a flawed compromise that ended rejected by the comunity, sparking two years of protests and endless discussion in message boards.

Normal skins should have been in since day one. Many of us weren't even wanting all sorts of blood elf skins, just some "almost normal" options and more lore to better establish them. The skins are finally in, now I'm waiting on the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Meh, I do hope this change won't preclude Void Elves from getting more voidy customization options too.
    Problem is: their lack of identity hinders that. Are they eager into corruption, or do they seek the safe route? The way they were portrayed, it feels like corruption goes against their ethos, unless there were more sides or hidden secrets behind it, but none were established in their two years of existence.
    Whatever...

This didn't make me that happy to be honest, and I wanted High Elves since classic.

Still no access to paladin class. Still voidy shitty hairstyles. No blonde hair. Edgy voice over. And the worst offender - a racial that occasionally turns you into a purple blob.

If it makes most helfers happy then great, but this isn't what I personally wanted and my high elf needs weren't quenched. Honestly if I want to play the real high elf, base blood elf is still a better option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I won't deny is not convoluted, but again, I do see the value in "condensing" some racial offshoots to the same "gameplay" race. Cause otherwise we have 6 playable elf races? Honestly I would do away with most AR this way tbh, we don't need that kind of bloat from a design perspective.

And if it defeats the purpose of VE's, kinda shows how misguided that purpose was from the beginning, at least to many people in the community and themselves as we can see.
    This sparked an interesting thought. What if they grouped races together, allowing you to pick what set of racials your character has and automatically selecting the matching race name.

For example, a dranei could pick the regular or light forged racials, (which also changes the race name). A Void Elf could pick to have their void form (with the void elf name) or change it to an arcane form (automatically selecting the high elf race name). Same for Tauren, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Problem is: their lack of identity hinders that. Are they eager into corruption, or do they seek the safe route? The way they were portrayed, it feels like corruption goes against their ethos, unless there were more sides or hidden secrets behind it, but none were established in their two years of existence.
    Seems like a made up limitation tbh. Especially now that there is a spectrum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    This didn't make me that happy to be honest, and I wanted High Elves since classic.

Still no access to paladin class. Still voidy shitty hairstyles. No blonde hair. Edgy voice over. And the worst offender - a racial that occasionally turns you into a purple blob.

If it makes most helfers happy then great, but this isn't what I personally wanted and my high elf needs weren't quenched. Honestly if I want to play the real high elf, base blood elf is still a better option for me.
    Then do that. High Elves as their own thing ain't happening.

They should get Void Knights: paladins that follow the order of shadow. Give them "green fire" style animation changes, with renamed spells and new icons.

7+ Year Old Account
    And the few people who actually dig the void thematic will be playing them as they started out. Noice.
    Yessss, this is so huge I think some sour sports are still too focused on pedantic details.

This will actually open up a lot of options for players and sets a good precedent going into the future.

Then do that. High Elves as their own thing ain't happening.
    I know, this is exactly what I'm planning to do - stick to my belf and turn his eyes blue. Which is a shame, but the best I'll be getting anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    But...they aren't high elves... they are void elves.

I thought helfers were all about lore?
    You make your own lore for your character, just as Danuser explained. Thalassian Bob gave some examples of say Allerian Stronghold elves going back to Silvermoon.

Is that actually happening? Not from a game perspective, but from their own character's perspective? Yes.

I know, this is exactly what I'm planning to do - stick to my belf and turn his eyes blue. Which is a shame, but the best I'll be getting anyway.
    Good luck with that. In my eyes, this was the best that was going to happen ever since Void Elves were added.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaichu View Post
    Warlocks.
    /10char
    Warlocks dont eat enough fel remember? To go felblood they were sucking it in like I suck in brownies

7+ Year Old Account
    The amount of seething from posters in here that have apparently spent too much of their time in this thread arguing against playable High Elves and have gotten too entrenched in their naysaying to the point that the stability of their ego is tied to being right, no matter how much they have to engage in mental pretzel gymnastics, is hilarious.
    Fully agree, and I do find it amusing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    Ion Hazzaritkiss is a bit of a sociopathic type, dontcha think?
    I think like most in his position, he just has to come up with whatever bullshit at the time he has to lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

But is the outrage enough to fuel this thread the rest of the way to 1000 pages?
    Very likely Also glad to see your thoughts on the matter and that it is at least a positive for you as well, despite also wanting stand-alone High Elves. Feels good

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    You make your own lore for your character, just as Danuser explained. Thalassian Bob gave some examples of say Allerian Stronghold elves going back to Silvermoon.

Is that actually happening? Not from a game perspective, but from their own character's perspective? Yes.
    Let's not take things out of context. Danuser explained that customization options could be used for such groups.
    Void elves are not in the same vein because they are a singular group.
    Let's not use his statements to begin headcanon, it spits on the lore that many claim to enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a made up limitation tbh. Especially now that there is a spectrum.
    It was a thing people made up and just ran with in a silly fashion.
    Of course, it is clear many things were made up purely for aesthetics.
    Ultimately, none of this matters. It is pixels on a screen.