Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I was asked about the filibuster, I answered, you challenged, I responded, you swapped to another topic unrelated to the filibuster.

I am done continuing this derailment.

The Senate voted 49-45 on Tuesday evening to confirm Colin Kahl as undersecretary of defense for policy.

Another move to negate the damage Trump did to the country and the world.
    The fuck is your deal? How the fuck is that a damn derailment.

One of the major arguments around the filibuster deals with the democrats saying they can't do it because then the republicans would just do whatever they want. However, this works from the assumption that they actually need to pass tons of legislation when we know they don't and have used the courts as a way to get their agenda done.

It's literally part of the god damn argument around filibusters and the relationships between the parties and how the worry democrats have is muffled by the fact republicans have abused court appointments to get some massive changes done across the country that they couldn't pass via the senate. Instead of being stubborn and refusing to hear the argument how about you ask "how is this related?" and I'll fucking answer it?

God fucking damn, if you ask a question about class struggles in the modern world I would bring up slavery. You can't just shoot down the argument saying "what does slavery hundreds of years ago have to do with class struggles today" Just because you use the word "today" doesn't mean I can't go into a topic related to it at paints a broader picture around it.

The topic of courts is related to the filibuster since fillibusters are related to governing and the republicans have done a great job of using courts as a method to govern

You see how this all connects? There are talks about this issue, Republican strategies about this very thing! It's all bloody related dude.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-04-28 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The fuck is your deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I am done
    Seems pretty cut and dry.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Seems pretty cut and dry.
    Just saying... people can't write off courts as not part of the filibuster conversation when the seats were literally held open and then filled. And the Republicans purposefully formed a strategy where they could encourage certain policies via judges that were unpopular, while giving themselves space from their voters for culpability.

The argument that courts are a derailment is made worse by the fact we know it was a strategy and republicans have openly spoken about It, and its relationship to the damn fillibuster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Just saying... people can't write off courts as not part of the filibuster conversation when the seats were literally held open and then filled. And the Republicans purposefully formed a strategy where they could encourage certain policies via judges that were unpopular, while giving themselves space from their voters for culpability.

The argument that courts are a derailment is made worse by the fact we know it was a strategy and republicans have openly spoken about It, and its relationship to the damn fillibuster.
    Can someone explain the bold? Isn’t that how seats work?

- - - Updated - - -

On the topic of governing... Biden is set to have 2 free years of college, which is an associate degree.

Biden to lay out $1.8 trillion family spending plan that calls for capital-gains tax hike
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bi...ke-01619603397
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Biden to lay out $1.8 trillion family spending plan that calls for capital-gains tax hike
    Biden wants to boost IRS enforcement and require disclosures by financial institutions, specifically targeting the rich. The White House estimates that would bring in $700 billion over 10 years. He would raise the top tax rate on the most affluent families from 37% to 39.6%. People earning in excess of $1 million a year would see their rate on capital gains — the profits from a sale of a stock or home — nearly double from 20% to 39.6%, which would mean the wealthiest Americans could no longer pay at a lower rate than many families who identify as middle class.
    There's a lot of education, paid medical leave time, and child care in this bill. I expect every Republican to oppose this. Of course, I also expect most Republicans to lie about why they oppose this, since by numbers most Trump supporters are welfare recipients who hate welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How seats usually work is they’re filled as qualified nominees are sent their way. The GOP refused to even consider anyone nominated by Obama so they could pack the courts with a GOP win in 2016. Which is what happened.
    And as an extension of this, they didn’t even focus on any with any professionalism to them, if you were, they wouldn’t want to put you there. They wanted activist judges who would try and legislate from the desk.

And in order to get that they also ignored the blue card norm they used to do where if both senators opposed the judge they wouldn’t put them there trying to shove them into their states and they put in judges where were considered unqualified and even showed racist or prejudice views.

I also remember reading of a few who had never even worked in a court in any profession capacity now by judges leading those courts with lifetime appointments.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Joe Rogan is a standard right wing nut. Telling kids to not get vaxxed.

Biden dodged a bullet not getting that whackos endorsement.

So many Online Bros thought obtaining Joe Rogan’s endorsement in 2020 was going to be absolutely pivotal...

Correction, he dodged like six bullets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again it's time to play Guess the Speaker! The topic is "Biden to reverse Trump's deregulation of emissions of methane from the oil and gas industries.

I think it’s just unnecessary emissions that they can do something about, and they’ll need to do it
    That's right, it's Lindsey Graham, who...wait, Graham? What the fuck?

Yeah, there's a vote coming up. Collins is on board, too. And Graham pointed out he voted the same way under Obama, too.

Didn't see that coming, but his wife did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Uhm... isn’t getting a Joe Rogan endorsement, the same as or even worse than pulling moderates from Connecticut?

His endorsement of Bernie didn’t seem to do shit for progressive candidates, outside progressive strong holds. The lone Trump supporter on my face book, was also the lone Bernie supporter. On this forum we saw similar, with Trump supporters faux supporting Bernie.

Supporting Bernie means Jack shit, when you don’t support a single of his policies. If Bernie endorsement of Biden wasn’t enough, I don’t see how an endorsement from a guy that endorsed Bernie in the primary, then voted Trump in general... is going to help...

I am waiting for Joy to get even smarter and realize that if Trump endorses Biden, that’s 70 million votes... who needs Rogan...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And now they're crying that Dems might add 4 seats to SCOTUS. Pathetic.
    Yeah, because they were trying to replace the judicial system with activist who would try and legislate from the bench long after they have left office with no one wanting their brand of crap. Them undoing their damage to any extent is something they don’t want.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Looks like Joe Rogan is a standard right wing nut. Telling kids to not get vaxxed.

Biden dodged a bullet not getting that whackos endorsement.

So many Online Bros thought obtaining Joe Rogan’s endorsement in 2020 was going to be absolutely pivotal...

Correction, he dodged like six bullets.
    There was a certain "Biden is a corporate shill" someone on this board who swore by Joe Rogan's "ideals" and stated that Rogan quite unequivocally voicing support for Trump was "taking Rogan out of context"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden speaking to nation... off to stream...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

Edit: Any bets on Gaetz or MTG screaming something?
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-29 at 01:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they going for the Garfield vote?

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Stupid image
    https://therecount.com/wire/sen-joni...ils/2645869216

I thought this was all fake but...it's just 2/3 fake. The "real" replacements aren't much less stupid.

Weird hearing her complain about giving rich people a tax break considering she voted for the Republican giveaway for the rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://therecount.com/wire/sen-joni...ils/2645869216

I thought this was all fake but...it's just 2/3 fake. The "real" replacements aren't much less stupid.

Weird hearing her complain about giving rich people a tax break considering she voted for the Republican giveaway for the rich.
    Not going to lie, for a second there I really considered supporting banning lasagna to get on a sex blimp.

These retrumplicans and rethuglicans are sitting in their chairs laid back and not clapping are embarassing themselves by showing how useless and childish they are
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I wanted to make fun of Joe, but hitting the good spots. He should just talk about creating jobs for the people we wen to to cafe's in Pennsylvania and others everyday to find the "real" voter. Yunno the Trump voters. Honestly if it was Trump, Biden should just promise to put every job in heavy African American cities.

- - - Updated - - -

Republicans will hate that. Giving breaks to poor people to help their children. Dead on Arrival.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Good speech. Lots of progressive takes. More things I liked than I didn't. Now actually follow through.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    If memory serves, the counter speech will be given by the only remaining African-American Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Good speech. Lots of progressive takes. More things I liked than I didn't. Now actually follow through.
    He far exceeded my expectations with his speech. He laid out a pretty bold plan, and sold it with professionalism and enthusiasm and even charisma. If none of this passes, it won't be because he is not doing his best to get some of these things through. Mostly his target audience was American voters watching the speech.

He also did a really good job of starting out by detailing the benefits the country has enjoyed due to the passage of the stimulus package that passed through without a single Senate republican voting for it. The punch line of "if we pass some of these bills, you will get even more benefits going forward" didn't even have to be stated, he made it that clear.

He and his speech writers wrote a fantastic speech. He did a fantastic job of delivering it. There is not much more that can really be asked of him as President. And yeah - it was a lot more progressive than I ever imagined it would be.