Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why should we give a shit what the Kremlin says?
    Nukes, threats of conventional ground invasion beyond Ukraine.

You know, the reasons they still exist. That's why people "give a shit."
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    "I'm a Brazilian named Viktor Muller Ferreira and I like trance music"

Are they running out of EVERYTHING there? (Including good cover stories.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Nukes, threats of conventional ground invasion beyond Ukraine.

You know, the reasons they still exist. That's why people "give a shit."
    They aren't going to risk nuclear war by invading a NATO country or launching a nuke. They know perfectly well that to do so will be their end as much as it is ours.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    They aren't going to risk nuclear war by invading a NATO country or launching a nuke. They know perfectly well that to do so will be their end as much as it is ours.
    first of all, the nukes are a real threat at this point (although they've always been) for their leverage/blackmail is concerned. If they didn't have them, they wouldn't exist. It's also why they can hold food (the grain) as hostage to the entire world as it is now, which goes way past just their militaristic agendas and rampaging in Ukraine.

secondly, as far as non-nuke concerns go, maybe not a NATO country if you really want to go that route, but they've threatened invasions on a plethora of non-NATO nations the last few months. Also they keep threatening Poland on loop.

People take what Russia may say seriously because it's not a case of talking or bluffing in their ground invasions, as they've already raped and murdered thousands in Ukraine to show they're serious. Regardless of their losses and incompetence or if they get blown to smithereens trying another invasion, even without considering nukes, no nation wants to lose thousands of civilians and have their cities turned to dust like Ukraine before Russians get repelled.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-06-16 at 04:11 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Of course not, don't be silly. Unless you think that diplomacy by definition means appeasement, otherwise nobody here thinks Ukraine should give up more territory.
    There is no diplomacy to be had until Russia is out of Ukraine. Putin sure isn't going to put 'we will give up all our gains and go home in shame' on the table. And if he were to its as simple as him ordering the withdraw.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I don't like the notion of diplomacy and business resuming as usual if Russia simply leaves Ukraine in a mundane way.

They HAVE to pay for everything they've done for the next 50 years or so, maybe even a hundred or more. You don't murder thousands and decimate whole cities in modern times and just resume the status quo if you lose your warmongering gambit.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-06-16 at 06:32 PM.

They HAVE to pay for everything they've done for the next 50 years or so, maybe even a hundred or more.
    Yeah, no. This isn't how international relations work, at all, for a whole host of reasons. That's not justice, that's vengeance, and grossly disproportionate vengeance at that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Yeah, no. This isn't how international relations work, at all, for a whole host of reasons. That's not justice, that's vengeance, and grossly disproportionate vengeance at that.
    they decimated entire cities and raped and murdered their way through swathes of civilians. If Russia can come back from this in no time as you claim, that's a sign anyone can do that and get off the hook if they surrender at some point. Even if you see it as vengeful to sanction them to regress into a third world country, you don't just do what they've done and get a slap on the wrist.

but Joe Biden has promised Russia will assuredly be a pariah state, at least
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-06-16 at 08:24 PM.

they decimated entire cities and raped and murdered their way through swathes of civilians. If Russia can come back from this in no time as you claim, that's a sign anyone can do that and get off the hook if they surrender at some point. Even if you see it as vengeful to sanction them to regress into a third world country, you don't just do what they've done and get a slap on the wrist.

but Joe Biden has promised Russia will assuredly be a pariah state, at least
    We let countries off the hook all the time for this kind of shit. Or if they're on the correct side supply them and look the other way. Case and point Saudi Arabia in Yemen is basically doing everything Russia is doing in Ukraine with a decade's worth of experience. African nations who are warring each other or have civil wars are also doing similar actions.

International politics gives zero crap about morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Saudi Arabia
    America is not friends with SA. That is all.

And some of the scarier politicians in the US have hinted giving their monarchy the "stick" over the carrot in time.

America is not friends with SA. That is all.
    We give them weapons, help them commit genocide, cover up their crimes, visit them to beg for things on a regular basis, what else would you call it?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    We give them weapons, help them commit genocide, cover up their crimes, visit them to beg for things on a regular basis, what else would you call it?
    a pragmatic partnership held up by right-wing politics in the US.

All of our "friendships" are pragmatic partnerships, we spy, steal and screw our "friends" on a regular basis.

All of our "friendships" are pragmatic partnerships, we spy, steal and screw our "friends" on a regular basis.
    just to stay on topic in correlation to Russia in regards to Saudi Arabia: their royalty's time is indeed coming eventually so I would not write them off as getting off the hook as an excuse for Russia to be able to slink away for their atrocities in Ukraine.

So every friendship in international politics ever

just to stay on topic in correlation to Russia in regards to Saudi Arabia: their royalty's time is indeed coming eventually so I would not write them off as getting off the hook as an excuse for Russia to be able to slink away for their atrocities in Ukraine.
    They will eventually get their come upon is not really a good line however that is not the point. Since morality is not a factor here what Ukraine needs to figure out is their limit because the western unity will likely not survive the next election cycle.

because the western unity will likely not survive the next election cycle.
    because Trump will get re-elected?

because Trump will get re-elected?
    While that might happen that's not it, the world is now focused on domestic issues (recession, inflation, high interest rates, markets crashing). Ukraine has taken a backseat to all these concerns, people are "tired" of hearing about the war.

people are "tired" of hearing about the war.
    well, that's wrong and evil as well. That's what enables imperialist cunts like Putin to do as they please and then before you know it, he's on your doorstep.

Also the way you phrase that makes it seem like this Ukraine crisis isn't a *huge* tragedy where thousands are being raped and killed by the day but merely a novel flavor of the year spectacle for the West. And more importantly, it means those billions in dollars being invested into Ukraine by America is not a big deal either.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-06-16 at 10:11 PM.

it means those billions in dollars being invested into Ukraine by America is not a big deal either.
    It isn't we flushed trillions of dollars down the drain in Afghanistan, the money going to Ukraine isn't free it's a loan.