Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    muhahaha. i can't stop laughing. People on HE discird want to contact Morhaime or even Bobby Kotick with petition about HE and how Ion insulted them. like really
    oh yeah and ivestors too!
    At this point its better to ignore them, their mentality is getting really dangerous.

omg hahah in this pro high elf discord they’re talking about bringing in celebrities like JOHNNY DEPP to help them fight for high elves. lmaooo

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    They can only bring good story possibilities if Blizzard throws the Void Elves under the bus, and they start cannibalizing on Blood Elf lore to do that.
    So you end up pissing off two races and their fans for the price of adding one.
    That is very dramatic, mate!
    Check how void elf lore has been told till now. We hardly know anything about them, besides what we saw in the scenario we played to add them as a playable allied race.
    It is a fantasy game, a fictional world. You need good storytellers to make it work.
    You have a very cool triangle with the windrunner sisters and also the connection all quelthalas elves have to the sunwell and silvermoon.
    They just need to explore this and give each race an unique flavor. Good writers can do this easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    True, but neither idea requires the withdrawl idea for it to work. The swashbuckler vagabond theme would just make them more rugged. And the Dragon theme makes them more angular and harsh.

I don't think either idea is quite there yet, but I was illustrating the point that we don't need to mutate them into something else to distinguish them from "Majestic".
    I would make the case that an elf HAS to mutate into something else to move away from any other kind of elf, because elves have the most volatile genetic makeup of any of azeroth's races it seems.

Base race - Night Elf
    Arcane tapping - Highborne/Eventually High Elf
    Fel tapping - Blood Elf
    Excessive Arcane - Nightborne
    Excessive Fel - Felblood Elf or Felborne
    Directly twisted by Fel - Satyr
    Void dabbling/infusion - Void Elf
    Warped by Maelstrom/N'zoth - Naga

You also have Demon Hunters that, through their ritual and demonic infusions, almost become another race, but fall just short, despite having altered skin, fel orbs for eyes, horns, wings, and the ability to transform into a demon, which, funny enough, is much more than what separates some other races from one another.

Elves on Azeroth are intensly affected by the magics they use, to a degree that over time they can become a separate species.

I would argue that if you move enough away from a High Elf to not consider it the same as a Blood Elf, then you have some kind of elf you can't really call a High Elf.
    Last edited by LowestFormOfWit; 2018-04-27 at 03:24 PM.
    "High Elves....honestly? Spoilers, guys, Blood Elves are pretty much High Elves."
    -Ion, Blizzcon 11/4/17

"So...basically? Blood Elves kind of are High Elves."
    - Ion, Blizzard Q&A 4/26/18

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    omg hahah in this pro high elf discord they’re talking about bringing in celebrities like JOHNNY DEPP to help them fight for high elves. lmaooo
    There's been some real gems over there.

Quote Originally Posted by LowestFormOfWit View Post
    I would make the case that an elf has to mutate into something else to move away from any other kind of elf, because elves have the most volatile generic makeup of any of azeroth's races it seems.

Base race - Night Elf
    Arcane tapping - Highborne/Eventually High Elf
    Fel tapping - Blood Elf
    Excessive Arcane - Nightborne
    Excessive Fel - Felblood Elf or Felborne
    Directly twisted by Fel - Satyr
    Void dabbling/infusion - Void Elf

Elves on Azeroth are intensly affected by the magics they use, to a degree that over time they can become a separate species.

I would argue that if you move enough away from a High Elf to not consider it the same as a Blood Elf, then you have some kind of elf you can't really call a High Elf.
    blood elf is not being FEL TAPPED! it's name for honoring the dead.
    And ONLY magisters trully tapped to fel when were rebuilding Silvermoon, most of other citizens just were near.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    so tell me "what actuall culture difference" of "HE" and Blood elf. i don't see any (in alliria keep) or i see that "He" merged with humans (in Dalaran or SW).

Only thing if different is that one part of population go and took what they need from the living, and other - go with pride and suffered. Skill of siphoning magic didn't change their appearance. Only font of fel magic from magisters when they rebuilded silvermoon.
    Here in lies the current problem. While there are lots of differences between High Elves and Blood Elves, they are all convoluted and difficult to describe. As stated in the OP, the High Elves need a new, simple theme that can be summed up in one word and does not overlap with the "Majestic" design philosophy of the Blood Elves.

Here in lies the current problem. While there are lots of differences between High Elves and Blood Elves, they are all convoluted and difficult to describe. As stated in the OP, the High Elves need a new, simple theme that can be summed up in one word and does not overlap with the "Majestic" design philosophy of the Blood Elves.
    there are TWO main difference between "High elves" and Blood elves. TWO. And one of this difference already blurred with some blue eyed elves being part of the horde.
    So single difference is the ones who named themself Blood elves honored their dead (with rename), and were teached how to siphon magic from living creatures
    and others who still name themself "High elves" thinked about this teaching as immoral and gone with suffering, while still siphoned magic from ARTIFACTS (and in veressa case by making love from humans too). You see? ONE difference left. Wich itself stayed only as "Blood elves can drain magic from living creatures, but after sunwell reignition they don't need to do it, but still CAN"

Honestly Traycor. Your concepts can be good. But as i said (third or fourth time?) they are concepts of the PAST. PAST of race wich were named "High elves" in past and who NOW Blood elves. Every tattoo, every "ranger" theme belongs to BOTH of them. Because it's their PAST. They not magicaly wiped tattoos from their bodies when renamed themsel, they not magicaly forgotten ranger skills. This is their PAST AND PRESENT. Same with "High elves".

To got something like them you must change them DRASTICALY wich will be end for them being "High elves". And change NOT THE PAST (big retcones are shit), but in future.
    Last edited by Zorish; 2018-04-27 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlepenguin View Post

Don't take me wrong, man.
    But there are gems that come from both sides.

These forums can get extremely toxic.
    It is important if we all make a colective effort to keep it civil... all who want to have a civil conversation that is.

Some just want to bash and flame who opposes their ideas, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlepenguin View Post

Isn’t it great? I love seeing how hypocritical alliance players can be.

The moment that Ion confirmed no high elves the amount of profanity in there was unreal

High and blood elf differences were way more stark before Blizzard decided to whitewash the blood elves and give them the Sunwell back.
    In essence, it was the blood elves that became more like high elves after that.

Still, the themes are different. Just the exile and the choice to not rely on magic so much is already a big thematic difference. If they got focus, High elves could easily be given the search of a new home and new beginning as themes. They would be humbled by their trials rather than proud. They'd sherish companionship of other races rather than be isolationist snobs that only make alliances out of convenience. They'd avoid relying too much in magic rather than use it in their everyday lives.

If a distinct visual thematic or a magic-based transformation was indeed needed, then my old idea of them using the Storm Staff of Antonidas (which they helped Jaina acquire and was never used for anything) to become lightning-themed would be a thousand times better than void elves.
    Whatever...

Deleted
    I gotta say, while I'm firmly in the "don't recycle blue-eyed blood elves again please" camp, kudos to Traycor for actually understanding Blizzard's design philosophy and at least trying to give them a new, marketable, concise identity (based on the WC2 ranger). I like your designs here, even if I feel they're a bit too designed around one class.

It's rather telling that 95% of the fan art and fan works out of the Discord just reinforces Blizzard's position. "High elves are so unique and special and different and I'll show you why with this art of a generic blood elf (with blue eyes), and this picture of Silvermoon (recolored blue), and this blood elf building (with blue tint instead of red), and this MS Paint copypaste of the blood elf racial crest (but blue)..."

Come on guys, it's embarrassing. You're like Merryweather from Sleeping Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    That is very dramatic, mate!
    Check how void elf lore has been told till now. We hardly know anything about them, besides what we saw in the scenario we played to add them as a playable allied race.
    It is a fantasy game, a fictional world. You need good storytellers to make it work.
    You have a very cool triangle with the windrunner sisters and also the connection all quelthalas elves have to the sunwell and silvermoon.
    They just need to explore this and give each race an unique flavor. Good writers can do this easily.
    Blizzard can't even handle giving many core races their deserved spotlight for 14 years, yet you think their writers can suddenly and magically make both Void Elves and High Elves work without stepping on each others' toes. I mean you can only be willfully blind at this point .

It also seems you're not paying attention to BFA development, because Void Elves are taking a much more active role participating in scenarios and quest hubs, and they can only do that without High Elves getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elari View Post
    I gotta say, while I'm firmly in the "don't recycle blue-eyed blood elves again please" camp, kudos to Traycor for actually understanding Blizzard's design philosophy and at least trying to give them a new, marketable, concise identity (based on the WC2 ranger). I like your designs here, even if I feel they're a bit too designed around one class.
    His efforts are commendable. That much I'll agree.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

I'm pretty sure the reason Void Elves were made Blood Elves was to give them a huge reason to hate Silvermoon. The SC has kicked the Sunreavers ass over and over again, this gives the Alliance an "underdog" elf race for once and makes them bloodthirsty.

Blizzard can't even handle giving many core races their deserved spotlight for 14 years, yet you think their writers can suddenly and magically make both Void Elves and High Elves work without stepping on each others' toes. I mean you can only be willfully blind at this point .

It also seems you're not paying attention to BFA development, because Void Elves are taking a much more active role participating in scenarios and quest hubs, and they can only do that without High Elves getting in the way.

His efforts are commendable. That much I'll agree.

Are Void Elves actually in any of the BFA zones?

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    High and blood elf differences were way more stark before Blizzard decided to whitewash the blood elves and give them the Sunwell back.

Still, the themes are different. Just the exile and the choice to not rely on magic so much is already a big thematic difference. If they got focus, High elves could easily be given the search of a new home and new beginning as themes. They would be humbled by their trials rather than proud. They'd sherish companionship of other races rather than be isolationist snobs that only make alliances out of convenience. They'd avoid relying too much in magic rather than use it in their everyday lives.

If a distinct visual thematic or a magic-based transformation was indeed needed, then my old idea of them using the Storm Staff of Antonidas (which they helped Jaina acquire and was never used for anything) to become lightning-themed would be a thousand times better than void elves.
    The lightning theme was moving in the right direction. That's the kind of thing we need. It just misses the mark somehow. It also retains the "Majestic" theme, which would require adjusting. My designs are the same way, close but no potato.

Prior to yesterday, it was VERY difficult to describe what the Blood Elf design philosophy even was, which made it hard to contrast against. Now we know the yard stick, and that makes things INFINITELY easier with designing High Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    good point, but it is done now.

their groups don't have unity. QT lodge abbadoned magic totaly, while Dalaran and SW elves LIVE IN PLACES FULL OF MAGIC! FULL! They not abbadoned it. They still use it, but cope with their addiction by other sources.

Storm elves? hm honestly it's interesting idea, Will still be blue but more "pale blue", maybe with lightning marking on their bodies. This could work, but we still have other thing "too many elf races" for now. So not in the nearest 2-3 years plus what the reason for jaine to waste such thing on them?
    Maybe to the opposite part we could infuse some Blood elves with Anima (they took golems from ToT, and use them) so red marking on their bodies, wich will lead to some of Blood elves into really "blood" theme. interesting interesting.
    but still too many elves, not in near 2-4 years.
    Last edited by Zorish; 2018-04-27 at 03:37 PM.

They can only bring good story possibilities if Blizzard throws the Void Elves under the bus, and they start cannibalizing on Blood Elf lore to do that.
    I've seen this idea a few times now. We've getting 8 Allied Races so far, and I would guess several more are on the way after that since they are asking for feedback on more. Let's just say... 12 Allied Races.

There's no way 12 new races are all going to get lots of new story and all hold the spotlight. It's not feasible or possible. MANY (most?) of these races will all fade into the background. High Elves would likely be the same way, with Vareesa/Alleria/Sylvannas story lines only bringing High Elves to light. And this will happen whether High Elves are playable or not, because Vareesa is tied up with her sisters' stories.

Realistically, I don't see High Elves eating up any more story than what was going to happen anyway.

Well i have to give you some reason when you tell Blizzard has had many missed opportunities in the past on creating unique and interesting stories for each of their current races. But the truth is the story arcs related to the sunwell and the windrunner sisters do have a lot of potential, and that doesn't necessarily mean it will ruin each one of the races involved on the story. It is not a question of magic. It is a question whether blizzard has the capability of doing it, or not.

Besides, if you check the current normal and allied races, what is the future spotlight some of them will have in the future? Let's say... Pandaren. What future stories will they have? What future stories will Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged Draenei have?

This really depends on what Blizzard wants to focus on, when they create new zones, quests and storylines.
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2018-04-27 at 03:50 PM.