10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And it also indicates the slow growth by saying that the numbers had doubled - compared to 2008.
    Doubling every 11 years is six percent growth or so. Considering it's life-saving equipment and trained users in hospitals, I agree that sounds slow.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an OP ED, but the author deals with specific figures found from people who know what they're talking about.

I'll save you the read and go straight for the punchline: the intentional choice of tens of millions of Americans to refuse the vaccine, causing a hundred thousand or more Americans to die, is costing the US a fortune in addition to the deaths themselves.

The bottom line? The delta variant is projected to claim 120,000 American lives over the second half of this year, and this surge will reduce the annualized rate of GDP growth by one percentage point. Overall, U.S. GDP in 2021 will fall by around $70 billion. This represents a very small share of the United States’s $23 trillion economy, but it nevertheless dwarfs the direct hospitalization costs of the delta surge, and represents an implicit tax of about $210 for every man, women and child in the country.
    Trump supporters will blame Biden for the drop in GDP. Well, those that survive will. I'm calling this behavior out ahead of time to point out that it's bullshit. You can't shoot youself in the foot, then blame the cops for failing to stop you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another backlog day, another 1059 dead Floridians, sacrificed upon the altar of the cult of death.

In the last seven days, the state has added an average of 376 deaths each day, the highest ever reported, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    "the highest ever reported"
    The highest ever reported so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The highest ever reported so far.
    Stop stealing this Thursday's news!

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Stop stealing this Thursday's news!
    Needs to come with a spoiler tag. Now I won't have a made up shocked pikachu face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump's lethal outbreak has now killed more Americans than the 1918 flu it's often comared to.

Another backlog day, another 1059 dead Floridians, sacrificed upon the altar of the cult of death.
    Both Florida and Texas are trying their very best to surpass California total Covid death number. Can't let California be #1 on anything. Talk about overachiever.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-09-20 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump's lethal outbreak has now killed more Americans than the 1918 flu it's often comared to.
    No, no, that can't be...

I was told that: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Both Florida and Texas are trying their very best to surpass California total Covid death number. Can't let California be #1 on anything. Talk about overachiever.
    Texas is closing in, but Florida is still far behind. Florida is, however, within 5k of passing New York, one of the hardest-hit states at the start of the pandemic before anyone knew anything about combating it and the example Trumpers always try to hold up as "liberal states handling the pandemic poorly".

Texas passed them LONG ago.

EDIT: In terms of deaths per 100k population, however, they ALL passed California ages ago. California is ranked in the 30's as far as that goes. Florida is up at 12.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-09-20 at 09:20 PM.

You're forgetting that nothing under Trump was Trump's fault but everything under Biden is Biden's fault silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    You're forgetting that nothing under Trump was Trump's fault but everything under Biden is Biden's fault silly.
    I'm sure that there are plenty who would argue that it is Biden's fault because it's been his term for several months now. Sounds intuitive, but it ignores the reality of the situation. Which is to be expected of the right in this country.

So after reading more of that article about Trump's 3rd favorite son, I have to laugh.
    This bit:

"But, I mean, they weaponized the entire system in this country," he added. "They've weaponized the DOJ. They've weaponized our military. They weaponized the educational system in this country. They've weaponized the medical system in this country. The Democrats weaponize absolutely everything they can to use against their political opponents."

This is pretty rich.
    All of us can probably think of instances of Trump alone doing these very things.
    Not to mention past republicans.
    Not to mention weaponizing the presidency.
    Not to mention weaponizing elections.
    So fucking funny hearing him mention using things against their political opponents too as if:
    A: That's a new thing for either party
    &
    B: Trump isn't doing these very things even to this day.

They literally weaponize anything they can if it suits their agenda, even to oust their own.

Birth certificates?
    Check.
    Being captured in war?
    Check.
    Public Health?
    Check.
    Ashli Babbitt's death?
    Check.

The irony is absolutely lost on Tweedledum and his followers.

Also, this plus the global cabal of election riggers, the infrastructure package and the vax rollout etc. seems to be a lot of action for those "radical do nothing democrats".
    So which is it.
    They are incompetent and do nothing.
    Or
    They are global masterminds using "weapons" of mass destruction.
    Can't be both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    "But, I mean, they weaponized the entire system in this country,"
    Again, tough talk from someone whose father doesn't pay people, and uses high-priced lawyers to crush them when they sue for what they're contractually owed. That sounds like weaponizing the courts to me.

Or, maybe don't defraud the government.

No, no, that can't be...

I was told that: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine."
    Well when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to 0, that's a pretty good job we've done.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Wells Fargo is looking for the door. They loaned Trump a $100 million mortgage for Trump Tower, but recently, occupancy has dropped and therefore the collateral's value has dropped, under 80% which I guess is some kind of fiscal threshhold. And as I've pointed out, residents that fled have also stiffed Trump and not paid months' worth of rent.

Trump has $950 million in debt due in the next four years. Also, the murderous insurrection soured some of the holding banks, meaning they have no incentive to give Trump any second chances or leeway. Trump is going to need to seriously skim those fundraising accounts to stay above water.

Speaking of the courts, I meant to post this earlier if anyone hasn't seen it.
    Oliver's piece about Slapp lawsuits.
    It's a good breakdown.
    Like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
    This is indeed one of Trump's favorite things.

Edit: 950! Didn't know it was that much lol
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2021-09-21 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Well when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to 0, that's a pretty good job we've done.
    Well, I feel about vaccines like I feel about tests. This is going to go away without a vaccine. It’s going to go away, and it’s — we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time. You may have some — some flare-ups and I guess, you know, I would expect that. Sometime in the fall, you’ll have flare-ups maybe. Maybe not. But according to what a lot of people say, you probably will. We’ll be able to put them out. You may have some flare-ups next year, but eventually, it’s going to be gone. I mean, it’s going to be gone.

You know, there are some viruses and flus that came, and they went for a vaccine, they never found the vaccine, and they’ve disappeared. They’ve never shown up again. They got — they die too, like everything else. They die too.
    Yep, this aged well. Oh, May 2020 and the whitehouse.gov document this was originally quoted from has been taken down. I had to find it elsewhere.

I guess I didn't mean the Slapp suits themselves as much as using the courts as a weapon like Bob Murray does.
    7:39 or so shows how it's all in the same vein for Trump.
    Used as the same type of tactic.
    He himself bragging there on cam about what he wants to do to libel laws just so he can sue more to screams from the crowds.
    He knows he "generally" has more money than the average person he sues or threatens with a lawsuit.
    He's been clear it was to "make his life miserable, which I'm happy about" in the 5$Billion suit.
    Same for when he sued Bill Maher over the joke about his mom being an orangutan for 5$Million.

And from wiki:
    In June 2016, USA Today published an analysis of litigation involving Donald Trump, which found that over the previous three decades Trump and his businesses have been involved in 3,500 legal cases in U.S. federal and state courts, an unprecedented number for a U.S. presidential candidate.[1] Of the 3,500 suits, Trump or one of his companies were plaintiffs in 1,900; defendants in 1,450; and bankruptcy, third party, or other in 150.

Edit: So that's 63 lawsuits a year over 30 years that they themselves started and 116 per year total, on average.

James Copland, director of legal policy at the conservative-leaning Manhattan Institute, states that "Trump clearly has an affinity for filing lawsuits, partly because he owns a lot of businesses" and has sometimes used litigation as a "bullying tactic"

I'd say that's weaponizing the courts as it were.
    Either way, Eric is a fucking idiot lol
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2021-09-21 at 01:50 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Memo shows Trump lawyer's six-step plan for Pence to overturn the election.
    and
    Trump sent Raffensperger a letter asking him to decertify election.
    (two items i just stumbled upon in looking at the news today)

The fact that Trump isn't already in custody for Election Fraud and Conspiracy to Commit speaks volumes to the issues we face as a country. I don't know if we have a way out, either, as Trump was about the dumbest dictator-wannabe that ever sprouted. Someone like Cotton will fare much better, and do far more damage.