Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    I got to apologize for my little bro who stole my mmo champ PW.
    !
    Uh.. what? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I genuinely have to wonder how many people shilling for FF visuals and story have simply not watched much media and so consider the absolute most basic tropes to be groundbreakingly original material.
    After all the hype over the XIV story I was very let down when I found myself enjoying the story less than I do the Kingdom Hearts series lol.

Dracthyr and Evoker were probably the weakest part of the reveal for me. It seems they are finally doing what we have been asking; taking existing systems like Renown and iterating on them. Sure the expansion does not seem flashy in features but DRAGONS usually work in fantasy circles to get people happy.

The talent system revamp has me worried. It pretty much forces them to reconsider how every single spec in the game works. Chances are, a solid number of specs will just not work properly at launch. It also will certainly prove how much they are willing to listen to feedback; if anything requires a proper feedback cycle it's class revamps.

I really wonder how far they will push crafting. In other MMORPGs, crafting is an endgame feature, especially for players who focus on world content. With soulbound crafted gear no longer being a limitation due to work orders, they can push crafting to reward even the highest ilvl of gear; tie the quality reagent to the vault and suddenly a big part of loot RNG is gone.

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely have to wonder how many people shilling for FF visuals and story have simply not watched much media and so consider the absolute most basic tropes to be groundbreakingly original material.
    Heck they probably have not even played other FF games since most of these fantasy tropes have been used in their games ad nauseam.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the expansion reveal itself, I violently don't care about Dragons and this expansion is all dragons all the time, mixed with the final stage of faction homogenization to round it off now that the Horde and Alliance expeditions are interchangable. The new race is poison for the eyes, though the class gimmick could be interesting. Past that, the talent revamp could be interesting and it's good that there's no hyped up and disposable feature like Renown or dragon covenants. I don't hate it, but I don't care about it either.
    Renown is in. It's just the new reputation system which allows them to steadily give rewards for working on reputation (and even advance storylines at specific points in a manner that is far more transparent; the previous system used in MoP and Legion with Suramar worked great but was very much opaque).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMizAwesome View Post
    Seeing how we didn't even get a preorder informations, it seems like the 1 or 2 allied races thingy might be true, but i doubt it.

However if they only added a mount or armor transmog i think we would have preoder info right after the presentation.

People speculate about darkfallens, but its another elven race lmao.
    Looking at the general negativity about the new class/race... they might do it now.

I think many were like... shit, guys seen switch and mmo champion?

I mean first time a new class gets so much hate lol.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    https://twitter.com/EENlX/status/151...ofgN3nv0Urunfw

They did it again? copying FF? ayy lmao
    FF guys should copy some stuff from WoW too. For example having playable game on launch day. Or at least launch week, small steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexjimithing View Post
    After all the hype over the XIV story I was very let down when I found myself enjoying the story less than I do the Kingdom Hearts series lol.
    I avoid talking FF because the style of the initial levels, both in gameplay and story bored me to tears and I don't really have an interest in the franchise or JRPGs to lean on. So for the sake of not bashing what I couldn't force myself through I'm willing to take them at their word that the story, taken as a whole, is like if Tolstoy were from glorious Nippon and leave it at that. But 'flyer catches falling man at last moment' is about as franchise-specific as a fucking sunrise, much like that generic Anduin inspirational scene they were assmad about before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Renown is in. It's just the new reputation system which allows them to steadily give rewards for working on reputation (and even advance storylines at specific points in a manner that is far more transparent; the previous system used in MoP and Legion with Suramar worked great but was very much opaque).
    The peak of reputation based progression has always been 5.1 and it's all been downhill since. SL's renown is close but suffers from what the devs actually acknowledged which is that you could only advance one track. Applying it to all hopefully means more gradual rep that's specific to the actual factions instead of interchangable WQs for all or worse, actually varied and essential things like in SL which are all completely wasted effort because WQs are made to be done a quintillion times and be mindless by design.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

I avoid talking FF because the style of the initial levels, both in gameplay and story bored me to tears and I don't really have an interest in the franchise or JRPGs to lean on. So for the sake of not bashing what I couldn't force myself through I'm willing to take them at their word that the story, taken as a whole, is like if Tolstoy were from glorious Nippon and leave it at that. But 'flyer catches falling man at last moment' is about as franchise-specific as a fucking sunrise, much like that generic Anduin inspirational scene they were assmad about before.
    It still is annoying though because it is dismissive of every other MMORPG. WoW has on multiple occasions had great storytelling. As recent as BfA, all the zone stories plus their overarching scenarios (Zandalar Forever and Siege of Boralus with Jaina) were excellent (the sidequests were not as consistent, the main story . .. ). ESO consistently has great storytelling in every single release and an absolute massive world with top tier world building. SWTOR was universally praised for its story. Sure none of them are Planescape Torment or even DA:O and Divinity but that's the limitation of the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Looking at the general negativity about the new class/race... they might do it now.

I think many were like... shit, guys seen switch and mmo champion?

I mean first time a new class gets so much hate lol.
    It's because class is tied to the race that doesn't even have 1 additional body type so more people can be happy.

Like i don't like pandas, but i like monks so i have like 3 other races that are monks, here you won't be able to, either stick to human or elf model plus the skinny dragon-lizard with really long giraffe neck.

Give options to make cute dragon and more bulky, ferocious looking one.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharikov View Post
    So.... they didn't do that, as a note.
    Well they didn't do that yet. Scaleface and his buddies leaked the entire thing in an entertaining format so the least I can do is be a bit leanient.

The peak of reputation based progression has always been 5.1 and it's all been downhill since. SL's renown is close but suffers from what the devs actually acknowledged which is that you could only advance one track. Applying it to all hopefully means more gradual rep that's specific to the actual factions instead of interchangable WQs for all or worse, actually varied and essential things like in SL which are all completely wasted effort because WQs are made to be done a quintillion times and be mindless by design.
    For me the main issue with renown is how it was gained. Two weekly quests, both of which were crap. Should have been zone wide objectives like the ones we got in 9.1 and 9.2 (Patterns within Patterns) that awarded Renown. They could have kept progression partially locked by making you only able to turn in the souls quest once per week to a single Covenant (though early on anima completely limited how much you could advance anyway).

I think all implementations of story unlocks at different levels of reputation were good; you may be a bit biased because of the faction nature of that particular rep. The Mogu invasion of the Golden Vale, slowly awakening the Klaxxi to end up in that disastrous assault of the palace, getting to know more of the farmers of Halfhill and improving your farm not to mention the Suramar campaign; all were excellent imo. What really helped was that several of these reps allowed a bit of a grind. It always motivated me to farm around for treasures and gifts or whatever other rep token was there when I was close to a breakpoint so I could see the next part of the story. This is my issue with Renown; we are most likely going to be completely on a timegated track.

It still is annoying though because it is dismissive of every other MMORPG. WoW has on multiple occasions had great storytelling. As recent as BfA, all the zone stories plus their overarching scenarios (Zandalar Forever and Siege of Boralus with Jaina) were excellent (the sidequests were not as consistent, the main story . .. ). ESO consistently has great storytelling in every single release and an absolute massive world with top tier world building. SWTOR was universally praised for its story. Sure none of them are Planescape Torment or even DA:O and Divinity but that's the limitation of the medium.
    As said, I want to avoid addressing any of it I haven't seen because it's just not my cup of tea. Watching some videos online I think one of my main problem with that kind of storytelling is kind of the inverse of WoW. WoW tells a dubious story with as few words as possible, whereas FF tells a story that again, I'm going to take at its word has all the depth advertised in as many words as possible, gameplay be damned.

ESO is generally not my cup of tea, but SWTOR was great despite an incredibly generic premise on the story front with the Imp. Agent story still being my favorite MMO story with a vibe I've not found anywhere else. It ranks past some singleplayer RPGs where that's concerned.

@Nymrohd

It's partly bias, I won't discount it, but I also think that pound for pound 5.1 had the most story quests at reputation breakpoints. Not just between say, honored and revered but at increments through. That or they're just the most memorable. I like the Klaxxi as well, though I'll admit I only got around to Golden Lotus after giving up on it fairly late in. Suramar is one I appreciate and can't criticize, but also was storywise not my cup of tea, I think it's only fault is that it's solely story, with no gameplay reward peppered in at the increments.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2022-04-20 at 07:03 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

It's because class is tied to the race that doesn't even have 1 additional body type so more people can be happy.

Like i don't like pandas, but i like monks so i have like 3 other races that are monks, here you won't be able to, either stick to human or elf model plus the skinny dragon-lizard with really long giraffe neck.

Same could be said for DH to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

As said, I want to avoid addressing any of it I haven't seen because it's just not my cup of tea. Watching some videos online I think one of my main problem with that kind of storytelling is kind of the inverse of WoW. WoW tells a dubious story with as few words as possible, whereas FF tells a story that again, I'm going to take at its word has all the depth advertised in as many words as possible, gameplay be damned.

ESO is generally not my cup of tea, but SWTOR was great despite an incredibly generic premise on the story front with the Imp. Agent story still being my favorite MMO story with a vibe I've not found anywhere else. It ranks past some singleplayer RPGs where taht's concerned.
    I just want games to be games. If I wanted a visual novel, I'd read one. Reminds me of the meme about certain games having more time spent in QuickTime events than actual gameplay.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

I agree, I dont like the models myself, but there is no way of rolling a differnt race. You are literal stuck with one class one race. Worst idea ever.

I just dont want to play like a dragon.. never wanted that. These slim lizards arent changing that.. they are only like this because a 40ft tall playable dragon doesnt make sense.

They could have gone for couple new races instead and I would have been happier. Evoker is just not it..

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    To add to this:

They are in.
    Like, why don't they ad that model for the Dracthyr as a "male" model, put wings on it, and then we would have two different options to choose.

It's partly bias, I won't discount it, but I also think that pound for pound 5.1 had the most story quests at reputation breakpoints. Not just between say, honored and revered but at increments through. That or they're just the most memorable. I like the Klaxxi as well, though I'll admit I only got around to Golden Lotus after giving up on it fairly late in. Suramar is one I appreciate and can't criticize, but also was storywise not my cup of tea, I think it's only fault is that it's solely story, with no gameplay reward peppered in at the increments.
    Suramar had massive Artifact Power tokens at each of the increments.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Why elemental protodrakes, who were supposed to be around before the actual protodrakes, would even worship galakrond, since he was a dragon canibal eating everything and turning then into undead?

Guess is Dansuer doing his magic
    It's Danuser, so what did you expect?

I mean the whole idea of: "Whoops the sundering fucked up the land. We will move from the Isles. Call us back when the problem fixed itself" is ridiculously dumb. And people wonder why FFXIV is praised for its story. To put use a food analogy, a decent burger might not be anything special, but I will take it over burned toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I agree, I dont like the models myself, but there is no way of rolling a differnt race. You are literal stuck with one class one race. Worst idea ever.

I just dont want to play like a dragon.. never wanted that. These slim lizards arent changing that.. they are only like this because a 40ft tall playable dragon doesnt make sense.

They could have gone for couple new races instead and I would have been happier. Evoker is just not it..
    Especially seeing that this new class has some cool mechanics with QTE and stuff like that, i probably won't be able to play it, because i truly hate how the dragon form looks currently and that only female humans or blood elves are available.

Quote Originally Posted by m4Zzo928 View Post
    Really digging these concepts, hopefully they translate well into models.
    I like all of them sans the hunter one, it honestly looks like they took the Sepulcher set and just splashed some blue dragon on it. Same helmet, same shoulder design (just with frozen magic instead of glowy magic) etc.

Suramar had massive Artifact Power tokens at each of the increments.
    True, but those aren't exactly memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca View Post
    Like, why don't they ad that model for the Dracthyr as a "male" model, put wings on it, and then we would have two different options to choose.
    Why not just make a drake! Wrathion's drake model was not large, we could easily have had a drake that is as tall as a tauren or zandalari troll and not have any issue with walking through doors (if anything given it would not be mounted it'd be even easier). Drake would also have had breath, talons, wing buffets, tail sweeps. It's just such a missed opportunity. Sure other games don't let you play dragons but that's because dragons in other games are too damn powerful. A young drake in WoW is not at all more powerful than a level 50-60 character of a different class.