15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Really? You didn't say this?
    The context makes it different then what you claim. As it is talking about the ingots and rings being a different combination of two colors. Which is a factual thing that isn't linked to ratios discussion at all. Nor does it say that the color change happened because they decided to make rings. You conflated two different statements into one concept. I only called it a continuity goof.

You also ignore the context because it was you making the argument that the magical properties of Mithril causes color changes to happen when shaping it into objects. It is strange how you assign that argument to me when it is one you created. Lmao.

By all means, I could say that your indication that the two silver ingots and one gold ingot creating two gold rings and one silver ring isn't a mistake either, because you don't know the magical properties of mithril.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-19 at 09:36 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The context makes it different then what you claim. As it is talking about the ingots and rings being a different combination of two colors. Which is a factual thing that isn't linked to ratios discussion at all. Nor does it say that the color change happened because they decided to make rings. You conflated two different statements into one concept. Hence why I called it a continuity goof.

You also ignore the context because it was you making the argument that the magical properties of Mithril causes color changes to happen when shaping it into objects. It is strange how you assign that argument to me when it is one you created. Lmao.
    It is literally using your own explanation against you, dude. I don't know how you couldn't understand it was a devil's advocate argument.

If your explanation is 'Mithril is magical, you can't claim to understand how it works' then you can't also make statements regarding 'goofs' because you literally admit that no one knows how this magical metal works. The context is that you're literally excusing any claims to inconsistency or lack of realism to an inability to this being a magical metal that doesn't adhere to the rules of our world or undesrtanding.

That's why I refute the entire 'Mithril is magical' argument, because it's just a lazy excuse. Like saying 'Dragons are magical' as a means to counter anyone who points out the inconsistencies of Smaug's limbs being depicted differently in two different movies. It's a non-argument.

You also ignore the context because it was you making the argument that the magical properties of Mithril causes color changes to happen when shaping it into objects.
    Er, not. I said the colors of the ingots/rings are left completely unexplained and left to 'movie magic'.

I don't think Mithril played a part in the coloration of the rings at all, and I personally view them as being made from gold or silver or mithril separately as depicted in the books, while I merely accept the movie adaptation that it's some alloy made of all three metals that is 'magically' colored differently. And as I said above, the Forge spinning theory is a plausible explanation (for the show) for separating gold and silver as well, though I don't know how it magically fuses Mithril into it all equally since it's using a technique that separates metals to somehow also fuse metals? Movie magic, all I need to say.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-19 at 09:46 PM.

Can we please stop engaging the obvious troll and continue to allow him to troll? Literally every conversation he goes bad faith in his defense of the show in the most mindless "you can't disprove me" dribble responses. It is pointless fluff.

The ring forging scene/results was fucking stupid, it is just ANOTHER in MANY details the show has blundered that in a vacuum aren't bad but when added collectively together suggests the producers are either incompetent, or don't give a fuck about the material they are creating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    If your explanation is 'Mithril is magical, you can't claim to understand how it works' then you can't also make statements regarding 'goofs' because you literally admit that no one knows how this magical metal works. The context is that you're literally excusing any claims to inconsistency or lack of realism to an inability to this being a magical metal that doesn't adhere to the rules of our world or undesrtanding.
    Right. Which still means the only one making the claim that the metal changes color when being shaped is yourself. It isn't something I stated. You even state that you made the argument to be a devil's advocate but can't admit you were wrong about saying I made that argument. Lmao.

I even said that of course "magic" could do that. Tolkien has the rings invisible when worn (unless in the unseen realm).

I never said shaping of the rings changes colors. That is what I've been calling the goof. How many times have I told you that yet you still ignore it to create an argument in your head. I haven't ignored any claim I've made. Lmao. Of course the color change could be magical. The rings themselves can turn invisible so why not color as well?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-19 at 09:47 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Lord of the Rings doesn't feature Sauron that much. He is only referenced and never present I believe.
    Lord of the Rings refers to the One Ring that is ever present in the story.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

there are still a whole bunch of rings that haven't been made yet, they've made 3, but the dwarves had 7 and the human kings had 9. I'm still curious how 'the one ring' came to be that way. it can't just be the fact that they mixed in mithril. or that halbrand/sauron basically explained how it might be possible. didn't seem like he was actually there for the forging, fail to see how he would have manipulated them. is it just 'the power of evil/darkness' just able to project the force over any distance. honestly I'm still in the dark about the relation between these rings and the ring Sauron will eventually make. hopefully it'll make some sense by the end but i'm not holding my breath. still 4 seasons of this so, maybe it'll improve. who knows if they'll try better with season 2.

An interesting tidbit is they cut some stuff from the end of Season 1 because they felt it was to big to do. So they will cover that stuff in Season 2. The curse of having few episodes.

"Producer Lindsey Weber says, “Season 2 is fundamentally different in that our main villain is out and about and doing his thing. I think in some ways, it’s going to grittier, more intense, maybe a little scarier. There are things that we saved that were going to be in the final bit of [S1] that we thought, oh, just it’s too big right now to do, to fit that in with everything else and let’s save it, and we’re actually doing some of those things now in Season 2”"

The full article has some pictures of early set construction for season 2 as well. https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...ings-of-power/
    The curse of being terrible writers not fit to hold Jackson's jockstrap let alone Tolkien's ftfy.

They have already has as much air time as fellowship and two towers combined and supposedly double the budget post inflation of the trilogy. They just are awful writers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    there are still a whole bunch of rings that haven't been made yet, they've made 3, but the dwarves had 7 and the human kings had 9.
    In one scene they show a tray with a bunch of nuggets of something on it. I wonder if those will be made into the other rings. Sauron could have manipulated the forge, the dagger, or maybe even the mithril. Hopefully they cover it in season 2 and don't just have them made "off screen".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The curse of being terrible writers not fit to hold Jackson's jockstrap let alone Tolkien's ftfy.
    Even the best writers still have trouble fitting everything into short seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    The ring forging scene/results was fucking stupid, it is just ANOTHER in MANY details the show has blundered that in a vacuum aren't bad but when added collectively together suggests the producers are either incompetent, or don't give a fuck about the material they are creating.
    I was thinking in the Wheel of Time...the books, when Perrin, and a black robe and a few wise ones created a power-wrought hammer. The scene done through several perspectives made that almost legendary.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jus had in retrospective, didn' elrond and Celebrimbor went to the dwarves asking for help to build a forge? it was that just a macguffin? cause its a plot completed abandoned once the "mithril" show up.

In one scene they show a tray with a bunch of nuggets of something on it. I wonder if those will be made into the other rings. Sauron could have manipulated the forge, the dagger, or maybe even the mithril. Hopefully they cover it in season 2 and don't just have them made "off screen".
    And how they could have done that without the mithril? did they even have more? in the final shot they show the only nugget that Elrod got from durin being the one used to forge the three, how they could have done others? did they got more mithril and i didn't saw because i wanted to rip my fingers off watching the show?

So many questions that will sure not be answered in season 2 if it have the same writters.

Especially when they bloat em with multiple POVs :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And how they could have done that without the mithril? did they even have more? in the final shot they show the only nugget that Elrod got from durin being the one used to forge the three, how they could have done others? did they got more mithril and i didn't saw because i wanted to rip my fingers off watching the show?

So many questions that will sure not be answered in season 2 if it have the same writters.
    They'll delve deeper after Durin 4 dies. Durin 3 is already being foreshadowed to unleash the balrog.

Not even sure where they're gonna take the mithril plotline after that though. I have a sinking feeling it will be conveniently forgotten that the Elves needed this and somehow Sauron will get his hands on it to make the other rings which the Humans and Dwarves will happily accept.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-19 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I was thinking in the Wheel of Time...the books, when Perrin, and a black robe and a few wise ones created a power-wrought hammer. The scene done through several perspectives made that almost legendary.
    I really enjoyed how Jordan had several plots in the books that had that, like when Rand and Nynaeve cleaned the Saidin and through the next book you had people freaking out about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

7+ Year Old Account
    They'll delve deeper after Durin 4 dies. Durin 3 is already being foreshadowed to unleash the balrog.
    but before, see, he is implying they did some trials before doing the 3, and how they could have done that without the mithril?

then i aks, did they got more than the little nugget? did it show they getting more? cause i honestly don't remember.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says they used all the material on 3 ingots. They also had other experiments that might have still created rings of power but just not ones good enough for Celebrimbor. They were chiseling small bits off the main one. Remember there were also an unnumbered amount of lesser rings of power made. Those could be them if they are to weak for the other 16. Or it is just random bits of ore.

The trivia for the show states "Celebrimbor's forge is utilitarian, but still incorporates organic elements such as references to holly, the namesake plant of Eregion. The gears that help power the bellows are a recent contribution from the dwarves."

- - - Updated - - -

but before, see, he is implying they did some trials before doing the 3, and how they could have done that without the mithril?
    They chiseled pieces off of what Elrond had. The timestamp is 18:45. It is plausible that they could have done other work with smaller pieces before figuring out purity of Valinor metals was a key part.

https://imgur.com/a/uPcrs62
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-19 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I really enjoyed how Jordan had several plots in the books that had that, like when Rand and Nynaeve cleaned the Saidin and through the next book you had people freaking out about it.
    The cleansing was so fucking good.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a short season it's already 2/3rds of the air time of the trilogy with a much higher budget. They are just terrible writers.

Easy explanation for the rings color, they are all made of the same steel, spiked with silver, gold and a tiny bit of mithril. Its just that 2 are gold plated while the last one is silver plated, an apt representation of the work poured into the show and its writing.

Perhaps only the precious metals are left and the steel got burned out or eliminated by forging, but thats a side note.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Especially when they bloat em with multiple POVs :P

- - - Updated - - -

Not even sure where they're gonna take the mithril plotline after that though. I have a sinking feeling it will be conveniently forgotten that the Elves needed this and somehow Sauron will get his hands on it to make the other rings which the Humans and Dwarves will happily accept.
    Durin's Bane is woken up
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    there are still a whole bunch of rings that haven't been made yet, they've made 3, but the dwarves had 7 and the human kings had 9. I'm still curious how 'the one ring' came to be that way. it can't just be the fact that they mixed in mithril. or that halbrand/sauron basically explained how it might be possible. didn't seem like he was actually there for the forging, fail to see how he would have manipulated them. is it just 'the power of evil/darkness' just able to project the force over any distance. honestly I'm still in the dark about the relation between these rings and the ring Sauron will eventually make. hopefully it'll make some sense by the end but i'm not holding my breath. still 4 seasons of this so, maybe it'll improve. who knows if they'll try better with season 2.
    Hmmm it wasn't clear in the books either, by which mechanics sauron one ring is bound to the other rings of power. I've always thought of it like sauron's a "hacker". Since he was involved with the crafting of the rings, it's a bit like he hacked into a program he partly wrote himself.

In the original lore he wasn't involved with the 3 elven rings crafting though. That's part of why he had so little power over them. And the dwarves just seem to have an awesome firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Hmmm it wasn't clear in the books either, by which mechanics sauron one ring is bound to the other rings of power. I've always thought of it like sauron's a "hacker". Since he was involved with the crafting of the rings, it's a bit like he hacked into a program he partly wrote himself.

In the original lore he wasn't involved with the 3 elven rings crafting though. That's part of why he had so little power over them. And the dwarves just seem to have an awesome firewall
    This is indeed a good way to think about it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Lord of the Rings refers to the One Ring that is ever present in the story.
    Debatable wether it refers to Sauron or the one ring. Similar to what towers are meant by "the two towers".