Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    By this same argument through you’d have to say every dwarf should be just as white as the orcs any darker shade being ok under such rules and any such limit is obviously gonna be bias in one way or another.
    Sure, I'm not making arguments for who should look like what... just pointing out the hypocrisy tbh. That's all there is to it.
    You can't say it's wrong or bad to use an argument to question or justify certain skin colors and then use the same argument to justify another certain skin color.

well you can, but you look like an idiot tbh.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-09-22 at 03:50 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You are focused on elevating an outpost with a tower into some greater meaning.
    No, it's being pointed out that the show is putting greater meaning into this event because it will be the first time the Orcs show their hand, and because the show is literally devoting 1/3rd of its first season content to this one outpost with a tower.

I mean, the way the show seems to be going, it looks like they're gonna not only compress the timeline, but use the same super-travel time dilation that put Orc-victimized Southlanders in the middle of the ocean where Galadriel is. This same time-travel shenanigans will mean the show writers could place Galadriel and the Numenoreans back into the Southlands in time to fight at the Watchtower, if they wanted to.

The orcs could be red for all I care. The problem is the lack of consistency which once again proves the show is poorly written. This is just a drop in a watterfall of bullshit
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Sure, I'm not making arguments for who should look like what... just pointing out the hypocrisy tbh. That's all there is to it.
    You can't say it's wrong or bad to use an argument to question or justify certain skin colors and then use the same argument to justify another certain skin color.

well you can, but you look like an idiot tbh.
    Ya it’s hypocrisy and does make you look like an idiot but that road goes both ways, all the people saying/said they should be human white and not darker shades based on UV are just going in the other direction.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-09-22 at 04:01 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

So the burning of the skin is "exaggerating" the impact of sunlight after so long away from it. Didn't the orcs have a similar effect when the first sunrise happened?
    This is a bit of a sticky spot in the lore. While the Silmarillion says that orcs are Elves corrupted by Melkor, Tolkien made a clear note that he wanted them to be corrupted forms of Men (to avoid the issue of immortal orc souls hanging around in the Halls of Mandos.) However Men didn't awaken until the first sunrise so orcs must have been created some time after. This plays havoc with the timeline as orcs were mentioned as being around before Men awoke. Add to that the fact Tolkien intended to completely redo the cosmology of Arda so the world was always round and the sun and moon always existed (obscured by some sorcery of Melkor so the Trees were still necessary) and the "canon" relationship between orcs and the sun really doesn't exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    No, it's being pointed out that the show is putting greater meaning into this event because it will be the first time the Orcs show their hand, and because the show is literally devoting 1/3rd of its first season content to this one outpost with a tower.
    Sauron began building his forces in Mordor in the SA 1000. About 500 years later he went to seduce elves. Do you really think that for 500 years there was no evidence of Orcs? Or even zero between the end of the War of Wrath and the return of Sauron? Remember the show is drastically condensing time lines so there is no reason why the watch tower would have an elevated meaning. It isn't a replacement for the rings and the tower in Eregion.

It is only important as a location for a main characters story. It hasn't been shown to be a special place of magic to attract Sauron, Orcs, and Rings. It still hasn't even been made clear that Adar is currently allied with Sauron. Remember some orcs refused to follow Annatar. It is silly to claim it has been elevated to anywhere near the rings being forged in the story.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-09-22 at 04:09 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Sauron began building his forces in Mordor in the SA 1000. About 500 years later he went to seduce elves. Do you really think that for 500 years there was no evidence of Orcs? Or even zero between the end of the War of Wrath and the return of Sauron? Remember the show is drastically condensing time lines so there is no reason why the watch tower would have an elevated meaning. It isn't a replacement for the rings and the tower in Eregion.
    In the books? Absolutely, because that is how the story was written. They didn't do anything to break that secrecy. That's the whole point of him having built a secret army. It was secret.

In the show, there is no established time of when or how long Orcs have been mustered in his absence. The timeline is compressed, and things are being pushed forward in some parts and not in others. Like, do you know where the evidence of the earliest Orc attack in the show actually comes from? Halbrand and the shipwreck survivors. And we don't really know how long ago they would have been attacked, since they never elaborate how long Halbrand had been at sea for or how far they had sailed after they escaped Orcs. Hell, we don't even know completely whether he is lying or not for that fact, since his entire background story is sus.

It is only important as a location for a main characters story. It hasn't been shown to be a special place of magic to attract Sauron, Orcs, and Rings. It still hasn't even been made clear that Adar is currently allied with Sauron. Remember some orcs refused to follow Annatar. It is silly to claim it has been elevated to anywhere near the rings being forged in the story.
    You could be right that Adar is acting on his own and not allied with Sauron at all. The problem with that explanation is that it would undermine the tone of the first season's premise - which is finding evidence of Sauron's return and the plot to create Mordor. If this side story were a massive red herring that amounts to nothing relative to Sauron, then it's a complete waste of time. Make sense? Like you could literally remove this entire sideplot if it doesn't have anything to do with Sauron's actual plans.

The context of the main plot of the first season is what we're discussing here. The watchtower arc already feels like filler. If you're then explaining that this could be a completely separate and unimportant thing, then this is exactly what I mean by comparing it to Chekhov's gun. It's about making a point that this would be unimportant to the main plot. It would be a sideplot that could be omitted completely IF it does not somehow tie back to the main plot in some significant way.

And frankly, I would have similar criticism of the Harfoot plotline seemingly going nowhere either, but it's way too early to tell what they actually intend to do.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 04:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the books? Absolutely, because that is how the story was written. Could you point at any time when Orcs were known of in the books? You wouldn't be able to, because they didn't do anything to break that secrecy. That's the whole point of him having built a secret army. It was secret.
    Can you point to me where they remained out of sight of everyone for a thousand years? You can't because Tolkien didn't write about it. It is reasonable to think that Orcs had a presence. Even ignoring that they didn't remain a secret until the rings were forged. As again it indicates that Sauron was building his forces in Mordor and corrupting men to his side.

The problem with that explanation is that it would undermine the tone of the first season's premise - which is finding evidence of Sauron's return and the plot to create Mordor.
    It would not. If Sauron is currently in his Annatar form then they might not have served him. They could be taking their own part of Mordor just as the rest are starting to build Barad-dur. It doesn't undermine the tone of the show if their actions are still motivated by the return of Sauron or if they later come to serve him. It is clear the show wants to have the sword be an important object so removing it being "built" into the world would change things also not everything that happens needs to be directly related to Sauron. There can be multiple stories that converge to the main story at some point.

Arondir, Theo, the hilt, and Mordor are not disposable side plots. There are essentially part of the main story and building that world and multiple aspects of the return of Sauron. The Harfoots and Meteor Man are the only thing that could be entirely removed with out impacting any other parts of the story.

Lol at you trying to argue checkov's gun again. It wasn't true the last time and it isn't true now. Of course the story could have been written to not need this arc but it has clearly been written to set up important things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Can you point to me where they remained out of sight of everyone for a thousand years? You can't because Tolkien didn't write about it. It is reasonable to think that Orcs had a presence. Even ignoring that they didn't remain a secret until the rings were forged. As again it indicates that Sauron was building his forces in Mordor and corrupting men to his side.
    The proof you're asking for is as self evident as asking whether there is any way to prove that trees never grew on the moon.

You're trying to prove a negative, which is generally impossible.

I'd even argue the logic you're implying is unreasonable. No, it is not reasonable to think Orcs had a presence, because they literally did not have a presence. They were completely secret. Just like it's unreasonable to think that there were trees on the Moon when there is clearly no evidence of that ever happening, and the mere question of 'well can you prove that there were never any trees on the moon' is not a reasonable argument to assert at all. What are you arguing about really?

Arondir, Theo, the hilt, and Mordor are not disposable side plots. There are essentially part of the main story and building that world and multiple aspects of the return of Sauron. The Harfoots and Meteor Man are the only thing that could be entirely removed with out impacting any other parts of the story.
    Except you came up with an explanation that involved Adar not having any connection to Sauron, therefore it would make the entire story irrelevant to Sauron's return. That's what I'm pointing out as the problem with your specific explanation. Right now, all plotlines have a connection to Sauron in some way, we just don't know exactly in what way and how much of a connection they truly have. For you to imply that the Adar could be completely separate from Sauron's allegiance would render the entire arc a sideplot that could be removed.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 04:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The proof you're asking for is as self evident as asking whether there is any way to prove that the Beatles never went to the moon. Well, history as we know it illustrates that it did not happen. What are you really arguing about really?
    Tolkien didn't write about it either way. So it is something that is possible and when viewed under a lens of a "living world" it stands to reason that Orcs would have had some interaction on Middle-earth in those times. Even more so when it is know that after the war of wrath they fled to some of the same mountain ranges that dwarves inhabited.

Tolkien didn't write about it either way. So it is something that is possible and when viewed under a lens of a "living world" it stands to reason that Orcs would have had some interaction on Middle-earth in those times. Even more so when it is know that after the war of wrath they fled to some of the same mountain ranges that dwarves inhabited.
    If Tolkien didn't write about it then you can't imply an event significant enough to expose Orcs as being 'reasonable'. It'd be quite counter-intuitive to the canon.

If we're talking about the show taking creative liberties and adapting stuff that never happened in the books, then yes an adaptation is free to bend the lore because it is not beholden to its canon. If you're specifically talking about the books which can no longer be appended or changed since the original creators are gone, then no, it wouldn't be reasonable to assume that it would suddenly be elaborated in some other way. It could be considered ambigious, it could be considered ill-explained, but at no point could it be assumed that an event as significant as what we're seeing in ROP like Halbrand or the Watchtower arc would somehow fit naturally back into Tolkien's work. It wouldn't fit at all, and it would be unreasonable to assume that it even could.

Let's be clear that the show's depiction of the Orc's current actions in the Southlands has been significant enough to reach even out to Galadriel in the middle of the Ocean, who is now using that 'evidence' to support her claims and rally the Numenoreans to investigate the Southlands. What the show is depicting wouldn't reasonably work in Tolkien's canon.

I mean the reason why the show is doing this is because it's intentionally compressing the timeline. So in a way, it'd be just as ridiculous to imply that time compression would be reasonably applicable to Tolkien's work as well. That just isn't how it works.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 05:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Tolkien didn't write about it then you can't imply something not written in the text as being 'reasonable'.
    Didn’t you have quite a lengthy back and forth a week or so ago about rather elfs acted like humans when it came to things like drowning even through it was never written about?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Didn’t you have quite a lengthy back and forth a week or so ago about rather elfs acted like humans when it came to things like drowning even through it was never written about?
    I'd always used the show depicted Elves acting exactly as how a human to present how they 'drown' in similar ways. I never implied that this somehow retroactively applies to Tolkien's fiction.

I think I'm pretty clear that I treat the show and the books as completely separate entities. I treat them as multiverses, really. One can source elements from another 'universe', but there isn't really any logic that carries from one to the other. Every version has to establish its own rules.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 05:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd always used the show depicted Elves acting exactly as how a human to present how they 'drown' in similar ways. I never implied that this somehow retroactively applies to Tolkien's fiction.
    Ah ok not Tolkien then, but wouldn’t that still apply to what the show has depicted? Like I don’t think we ever see any one drown in the show so don’t we have to refer to the implied notion that drowning is a reasonable thing even though it isn’t shown in the show?

15+ Year Old Account
    If Tolkien didn't write about it then you can't imply an event significant enough to expose Orcs as being 'reasonable'.
    There is nothing to say orcs stayed 100% hidden until Sauron's return. They easily could have stayed 100% hidden. Tolkien didn't write about every detail of elven, dwarven or human life but it is implied they did stuff, right? That they didn't just twiddle their thumbs until the "major" events of the time line happened. They traded, they built, destroyed, crafted, etc. All things that Tolkien didn't explicitly write about but it is reasonable to say happened.

Galadriel only heard about by chance. She used their story and the new information about the sigil to convince the Queen to send an army. She doesn't know the extent of it but it is clear that Orcs have been attacking the Southlands for a while without knowledge. There isn't anything to say that the orc attack would be significant if she didn't also find the sigil linking to the Southlands/Mordor.

No one has said time compression is applicable to Tolkien's work. Of course tolkien didn't compress his work as he was the one to create the original timeline.

Ah ok not Tolkien then, but wouldn’t that still apply to what the show has depicted? Like I don’t think we ever see any one drown in the show so don’t we have to refer to the implied notion that drowning is a reasonable thing even though it isn’t shown in the show?
    I'm not sure why it would be unreasonable? I'd never argued that Galadriel was immune to drowning in the show.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why it would be unreasonable? I'd never argued that Galadriel was immune to drowning in the show.
    It’s not unreasonable but as you said “If Tolkien didn't write about it then you can't imply something not written in the text as being 'reasonable'.”, wouldn’t this apply to the show as well and we can’t say it’s reasonable for her or any one else to drown given that it wasn’t shown in the show instead of written into the text?

There is nothing to say orcs stayed 100% hidden until Sauron's return. They easily could have stayed 100% hidden. Tolkien didn't write about every detail of elven, dwarven or human life but it is implied they did stuff, right? That they didn't just twiddle their thumbs until the "major" events of the time line happened. They traded, they built, destroyed, crafted, etc. All things that Tolkien didn't explicitly write about but it is reasonable to say happened.
    We're splitting hairs here.

You're using numbers like 100% hidden until Sauron's return.

In Rings of Power, the mere appearance of Orcs is news that has reached as far as Numenor, and is a direct reason why Numenor is going to join Galadriel's investigation of the Southlands. I wouldn't even know what % you'd consider that being hidden.

Galadriel only heard about by chance. She used their story and the new information about the sigil to convince the Queen to send an army. She doesn't know the extent of it but it is clear that Orcs have been attacking the Southlands for a while without knowledge. There isn't anything to say that the orc attack would be significant if she didn't also find the sigil linking to the Southlands/Mordor.
    Halbrand being a 'king of the Southlands' who escaped to Numenor because of Orcs is a pretty big deal. If one random chance encounter is capable of shaking the world, then yes I would say it's not reasonably comparable to Tolkien's original depiction of a secret Orc army that was able to move on Eregion in secret. That isn't what's happening in Rings of Power.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 05:36 PM.

Electrodriel is one major turning off point for me so far.
    Even that black elf imposter guy is less of a problem.

Watching anyone BUT elves is actually interesting and pleasing.
    Am really amazed at the chemistry and acting of Durin and Dysa.
    Was really amazed by Durin's actor acting out that scene with his father, with just his eyes and a bit of cheekbones.
    Electrodriel seems be unable to face/eye-act at all.

It’s not unreasonable but as you said “If Tolkien didn't write about it then you can't imply something not written in the text as being 'reasonable'.”, wouldn’t this apply to the show as well and we can’t say it’s reasonable for her or any one else to drown given that it wasn’t shown in the show instead of written into the text?
    He's not talking about show logic merely being reasonable to the show. He's talking about show logic being reasonable within the context of Tolkien's fiction.

As I said, if the show wants Orcs fearing the sun, burning in the sun, glittering like Twilight boys or whatever, then it can do it. But we can't retroactively apply this logic back to saying 'well it'd be reasonable in Tolkien's fiction too'. It would only be relevant if Tolkien actually wrote about it. Any else would be pure speculation, and I don't know what you'd consider 'reasonable' in that context.

And if we're talking about what Tolkien wrote about drowning, then we reasonably assume that Elves can and do drown because he wrote a side story about an Elf who swam into the open sea and was never heard of again. That'd be the only relevant case in Tolkien's own work.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-22 at 05:47 PM.