Seems like Ukraine did a counter-offensive in the ever-fighting Bakhmut. Their determination to defend such a small target confounds...But perhaps it is to avoid same utter destruction of any further cities and towns.

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...-march-19-2023

Ukrainian forces likely conducted a localized counterattack southwest of Bakhmut amid growing Russian discussion about a potential Ukrainian counteroffensive in the Bakhmut area. Geolocated footage published on March 19 indicates that Ukrainian forces conducted a successful counterattack southwest of Ivanivske (6km west of Bakhmut) and pushed Russian forces further away from the T0504 highway in the area.[1] Ukrainian Eastern Group of Forces Spokesperson Colonel Serhiy Cherevaty reported that Russian forces conducted 25 attacks in the Bakhmut area on March 19, but Russian forces likely only secured marginal gains.[2] Russian sources amplified footage on March 18 alleging to show a column of Ukrainian armored vehicles along the T0504 southwest of Kostyantynivka (22km southwest of Bakhmut) and speculated that Ukrainian forces are preparing to launch counteroffensive operations southwest of Bakhmut.[3] A prominent Russian milblogger claimed that Ukrainian forces are currently capable of intensifying counterattacks to stabilize the front line around Bakhmut.[4] The growing Russian discussions about an imminent Ukrainian counteroffensive in the Bakhmut area suggest that Russian sources are increasingly uncertain about the Russian military’s ability to maintain the initiative around Bakhmut.
    Ding dong, russian cruise missiles in Crimea goes boom!

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ea-2023-03-20/

March 20 (Reuters) - Ukraine's defence ministry said on Monday that an explosion in Dzhankoi in the north of the Crimean peninsula destroyed Russian cruise missiles intended for use by Russia's Black Sea fleet.
    A Russia-installed official in the peninsula, which was annexed by Moscow in 2014, said the blast was caused by drones laced with shrapnel and explosives and targeted civilian sites. One person was injured.
    A statement by the intelligence directorate of Ukraine's Defence Ministry said: "An explosion in Dzhankoi city in the north of temporarily occupied Crimea destroyed Russian Kalibr-KN cruise missiles as they were being transported by rail".

The statement on social media said the missiles, designed to be launched from surface ships in Russia's Black Sea fleet, had an operational range of more than 2,500 kms (1,550 miles) on land and 375 kms (233 miles) at sea.
    Ihor Ivin, the Russian-installed head of the Dzhankoi administration, was quoted as saying the city had come under attack from drones and a 33-year-old man suffered a shrapnel injury from a downed drone. He was taken to hospital and expected to survive.
    Obviously, russians claimed Ukraine targeted civilians as there are "no military targets in the area". Life sure is thriving and fun for russian occupiers in Crimea, everyday fear and propaganda keeping the appearance of a paradise for their ilk...

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post

Ding dong, russian cruise missiles in Crimea goes boom!

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ea-2023-03-20/

In something of an ironic turn of events, the drone used in the attack was reportedly an Iranian one that the Ukrainians captured and then fired back at the russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Seems like Ukraine did a counter-offensive in the ever-fighting Bakhmut. Their determination to defend such a small target confounds...But perhaps it is to avoid same utter destruction of any further cities and towns.
    From what I've read and to paraphrase what some of the Ukrainian fighters have said: "Sure, we could retreat back to another small town...and then another...and then another and so on until we reach Kyiv, but what difference does it make if we fight there or here?" Basically they'll make tactical retreats when they have to, but they'll take every opportunity they can to bleed Russia dry for every inch of Ukrainian soil for as long as they can keep squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    In something of an ironic turn of events, the drone used in the attack was reportedly an Iranian one that the Ukrainians captured and then fired back at the russians.
    Lol. This war is a gift that keeps on giving.

So a new story reiterating that if you criticize Putin, you die.

Source 2:

Dima Nova-whose given name was Dmitry Svirgunov-founded the popular electronic group Cream Soda, and criticized Russian President Vladmir Putin's alleged $1.3 billion mansion in the song "Aqua Disco." The song was often sung at protests before and in the early days of Russia's military invasion of Ukraine and the protests quickly became known as "Aqua Disco Parties."

Cream Soda became icons of the anti-war movement when comedian Alexander Gudkov used one of their songs to poke fun at Putin who had been accused of building an opulent $1.3 billion mansion near Gelendzhik on Russia's southern Black Sea coast using the proceeds of corruption.

"We had a tragedy last night. Our Dima Nova, in the company of friends, was walking along the Volga and fell under the ice. The Ministry of Emergency Situations are still looking for his brother Roma and friend, Gosha Kiselev. Aristarchus, our friend who also fell under the ice, was caught, but could not be saved. As soon as we have information from the Ministry of Emergency Situations, we will inform you," the group wrote in the caption.

On Tuesday, the group posted photos of Nova and his friend Kiselev, writing "an official identification took place today at 9:00. Dima and Goshi are no more."

Such a terrifying man in how casual murder is to him. Doesn't matter what age you are or who you are, either.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-03-21 at 04:08 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    People die when they criticize Putin? You don't say...

That's a new thing right? Hasn't been going on for the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    So a new story reiterating that if you criticize Putin, you die.

Source 2:

Dima Nova-whose given name was Dmitry Svirgunov-founded the popular electronic group Cream Soda, and criticized Russian President Vladmir Putin's alleged $1.3 billion mansion in the song "Aqua Disco." The song was often sung at protests before and in the early days of Russia's military invasion of Ukraine and the protests quickly became known as "Aqua Disco Parties."

Cream Soda became icons of the anti-war movement when comedian Alexander Gudkov used one of their songs to poke fun at Putin who had been accused of building an opulent $1.3 billion mansion near Gelendzhik on Russia's southern Black Sea coast using the proceeds of corruption.

"We had a tragedy last night. Our Dima Nova, in the company of friends, was walking along the Volga and fell under the ice. The Ministry of Emergency Situations are still looking for his brother Roma and friend, Gosha Kiselev. Aristarchus, our friend who also fell under the ice, was caught, but could not be saved. As soon as we have information from the Ministry of Emergency Situations, we will inform you," the group wrote in the caption.

On Tuesday, the group posted photos of Nova and his friend Kiselev, writing "an official identification took place today at 9:00. Dima and Goshi are no more."

Such a terrifying man in how casual murder is to him. Doesn't matter what age you are or who you are, either.
    You really need to stop masturbating to how horrible person Putin is.

It all depends on who is doing the criticising - Doomer Gherkin is still alive despite everything, including telling pootie to shut up and stop talking in his latest spiel. Someone is protecting him, thats for sure.

The UK had the wooden wonder back in WW2 and Ukraine seems to have the cardboard wonder. Australian company Sypaq is shipping a reported 100 flatpack drone kits to Ukraine a month. They are cheap (2-3K each), easy to assemble and basically made of waxed cardboard. So IKEA drones. They have a range of up to 120km, up to 2 hours flight time and can carry up to a 3kg load. They were designed for supply drops and surveillance, but the Ukrainians are dropping other things from them, like bombs.

And given they are mostly cardboard, tehy are going to be very hard to spot on radar.

It all depends on who is doing the criticising - Doomer Gherkin is still alive despite everything, including telling pootie to shut up and stop talking in his latest spiel.
    I think you misunderstand Gherkin.

Gherkin is controlled opposition. He's straight out of the old Soviet playbook.

Gherkin's "critique" is useful to the Kremlin as it's escalatory in nature while technically aligned with the intentions of the Kremlin. Gherkin is just there to constantly push for more of X or else this or that terrible thing will happen.

This was very common in the Soviet era too. Soviet press was chokeful of "critical" articles like...."Comrade Stalin is too lenient with the enemies of the State and he should be sending twice as many people to the gulag".

Again, there's no REAL dissent in any of the permitted "criticism". There's no "This war is dumb, and a crime, and we should retreat and sue for peace." Or "Putin is a war criminal and should be arrested, and we need to organize free elections." That is not permitted, that is what gets you thrown out of a window.

Saying "Putin is not doing enough to murder Ukrainians and to oppose NATO and if we don't escalate we will lose" is not real opposition. This is just preparing the groundwork for the Kremlin.

So Russia is flipping pissed about UK sending Uranium arms to Ukraine.

Putin has vowed to respond to Britain sending uranium tank arms to Ukraine.

The despot said Moscow will be 'forced to react' if the UK goes ahead with its delivery of 14 battle tanks.

The depleted uranium (DU) ammunition is meant for use by Ukrainian forces who are utilising British-made Challenger 2 tank which the Government has sent to Eastern Europe.

It is the latest direct threat that Putin has levelled against Britian.

Sergei Shiogu, Russian defence minister, also responded to the latest news of Britain sending new weapons to Ukraine.

The minister for despot Putin said: "Another step has been taken, and there are fewer and fewer left".
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

What are they going to do about it? Bomb Ukraine more?

Its typical muscovite garbage only meant to mean anything to the unthinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    I think you misunderstand Gherkin.

Gherkin is controlled opposition. He's straight out of the old Soviet playbook.

Gherkin's "critique" is useful to the Kremlin as it's escalatory in nature while technically aligned with the intentions of the Kremlin. Gherkin is just there to constantly push for more of X or else this or that terrible thing will happen.

This was very common in the Soviet era too. Soviet press was chokeful of "critical" articles like...."Comrade Stalin is too lenient with the enemies of the State and he should be sending twice as many people to the gulag".

Again, there's no REAL dissent in any of the permitted "criticism". There's no "This war is dumb, and a crime, and we should retreat and sue for peace." Or "Putin is a war criminal and should be arrested, and we need to organize free elections." That is not permitted, that is what gets you thrown out of a window.

Saying "Putin is not doing enough to murder Ukrainians and to oppose NATO and if we don't escalate we will lose" is not real opposition. This is just preparing the groundwork for the Kremlin.
    The Gherkin's early messages were along those lines - but now he has gone full doomer. Of late the message he has been putting out is that russia has pretty much lost the war and nothing much can be done to change that. And that pootie is an idiot.

What are they going to do about it? Bomb Ukraine more?
    yeah, pretty much, albeit you should say "bomb civilians more" and not just Ukraine as though they randomly blow shit up; they're very much intentionally killing civilians.

On the other hand though, it feels like there are some developments as a result of these actions lately. It doesn't matter to his health since he will never leave Russia, but today Ireland said it will arrest Putin on sight if he sets foot there not long after Germany enacted that policy.

Symbolically, it does not feel like Putin is one of the world's leaders anymore despite still being on the UN council.

If muscovy could bomb them more, they would. They are at the limit of what they can do already. There is no secret army or reserve waiting to go. muscovy can do nothing but let everyone trample over yet another red line and do nothing about it.

This is totally fake, but an accurate representation of what went down at the Xi-pootie meeting.

- - - Updated - - -

And muscovy appears to be bringing t54s and t55s out of storage.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/st...534458368?s=20

10+ Year Old Account
    If muscovy could bomb them more, they would. They are at the limit of what they can do already. There is no secret army or reserve waiting to go. muscovy can do nothing but let everyone trample over yet another red line and do nothing about it.

This is totally fake, but an accurate representation of what went down at the Xi-pootie meeting.

- - - Updated - - -

Vlad blows Xi, and Trump blows Vlad...

This is shaping up like an opening scene for Human Centipede 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account

So...T-34 when?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those museum pieces are outclassed even by Leo 1s, if Russia has to scrounge for armour that badly the situation must be truly dire.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Those museum pieces are outclassed even by Leo 1s, if Russia has to scrounge for armour that badly the situation must be truly dire.
    meh effectiveness of a tank is based on the skillfulness of its crew and its deployment. Even those tanks are mean if used correctly.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm sure those will do really well against modern Javelins
    Last edited by Belize; 2023-03-22 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    meh effectiveness of a tank is based on the skillfulness of its crew and its deployment. Even those tanks are mean if used correctly.
    Reminds me in basic when they were trying to hammer home the fact that a tank is there as support and any tankers there not to get a fat head over their job.

They are a sitting duck alone and the infantry around them can manage much better without the tank then the tank can without them and if they get a fist fight with his unit the infantry man will be much more trained and in shape for that and will kick his ass most times.

Said that many tankers would actually get a complex over it because of the size of the gun and destruction they could cause and the fact that they didn’t have to walk as much.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Reminds me in basic when they were trying to hammer home the fact that a tank is there as support and any tankers there not to get a fat head over their job.

They are a sitting duck alone and the infantry around them can manage much better without the tank then the tank can without them and if they get a fist fight with his unit the infantry man will be much more trained and in shape for that and will kick his ass most times.

Said that many tankers would actually get a complex over it because of the size of the gun and destruction they could cause and the fact that they didn’t have to walk as much.
    That would, however, require combined arms, something russia notably has been neglecting. With predictable results.